Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

1 view

James

Jan 5, 2009, 5:20:56 PM1/5/09
Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply

Jan 6, 2009, 2:21:25 AM1/6/09

I go to the local feed store. But I have taken my vet's advice and
don't buy pet food that contains byproducts or animal digest -- not
frugal price-wise but health-wise.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2009, 8:33:32 AM1/6/09

"Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply" <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote in
message news:49630670$0$95524$742e...@news.sonic.net...

We found that by feeding the cats too cheaply, they eat lots more, shit lots
more, and seemed to be getting too fat, and they were always hungry. We
switched to a better brand of cat food, and they eat lots less of it, and
seem to be in better health all around. I don't want to spend what I
"saved" on vet bills, so we feed them the good stuff.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 6, 2009, 3:31:32 PM1/6/09

Mice? ;<)

In all seriousness, good food is cheaper in the long run as other
posters are noting.

Buying it in bulk also helps.

How many cats are we talking about?

TMT

pf...@aol.com

Jan 6, 2009, 4:05:28 PM1/6/09

Clip your coupons (and search for them on-line as well), purchase as
*GOOD* food comes on sale and you won't do worse than your local chain-
supermarket. Figure if you drive 20 miles R/T to a big-box, that will
be anywhere from a buck to three bucks for gas alone, not to mention
wear and tear and so forth. The IRS does not 'allow' ~$0.505/mile for
automotive expenses for nothing, after all. And if you save a couple
of bucks overall in the food, you are not paying yourself much, are
you?

My job takes me past pretty much every retailer national or otherwise
every week. Even after all that, I find that Giant Foods to be as
competitive as any of the others, including the Clubs - of which our
company maintains corporate memberships for its employees.

Writing for myself, I steer away from many house-brands of
unidentified origins as I have no clue as to whether the ingredients
include melamine or mutton, neither or both.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

James

Jan 6, 2009, 4:13:04 PM1/6/09

We just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
chicken legs.

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 6, 2009, 10:19:12 PM1/6/09
> chicken legs.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a lucky cat. ;<)

If you have any farm stores that serve the agriculture sector, they
will sell in bulk and at decent prices.

Farms have working cats and those cats need to be fed.

The farmers make sure the furry hired hands get fed.

TMT

cshenk

Jan 6, 2009, 10:54:29 PM1/6/09
"James" wrote:

> Just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay

> and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
> I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
> couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
> chicken legs.

That works. Now all you need is a good storage container to keep the bugs
and mice out of it. I assume a farm since you were buying hay.

That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with none
of the problems the overseas stuff has had. At the most, you may have a bit
more corn filler than desired. At the worst, they may have not added
taurine and you can adjust that well enough with a 5 lb bag added and mixed
in, of a commercial sort or better yet, 2-3 TB wet sorts like purina etc a
day.

I fix a fair amount of my pet's foods up but we know just enough to use some
of the canned or dry products in addition in sane amounts.

Mostly, I make them a special noshe for lunch with home made broth (salt
free) with a little bit of meat added. Daisy-cat is still a little over
optimal weight but not badly.
Cash-pup is just right. They get a small breakfast, a nooner small munchie,
and 'dinner'. Breakfast is store stuff, nooner is home made, and dinner is
a mix.

The Real Bev

Jan 6, 2009, 10:50:03 PM1/6/09
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

> On Jan 6, 3:13 pm, James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
>> and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
>> I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
>> couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
>> chicken legs.- Hide quoted text -
>

> Sounds like a lucky cat. ;<)
>
> If you have any farm stores that serve the agriculture sector, they
> will sell in bulk and at decent prices.
>
> Farms have working cats and those cats need to be fed.

Presumably the work they do is ridding the farm of rodents. So why do they need
extra food? Oh, wait, I know why. Holidays and personal days. The UFWA --
United Feline Workers of America. Never mind.

> The farmers make sure the furry hired hands get fed.

Claws can give the term 'strike' a whole new meaning...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Dave Garland

Jan 6, 2009, 11:39:13 PM1/6/09
cshenk wrote:
> That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with none
> of the problems the overseas stuff has had.

I'm not sure one can assume that. The melamine problem in 2007, a lot
of USA brands were affected. It's a global market, and manufacturers
order ingredients from wherever the deal is best.

I lost 3 cats that year. I mostly fed them brands that weren't on the
lists of affected catfood (which included even premium brands like
Eukanuba and Science Diet), but one wonders.

Dave

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 7, 2009, 1:50:44 AM1/7/09

Working cats doing their job properly always need extra feed...because
there are no mice left.

TMT

cshenk

Jan 7, 2009, 12:54:20 PM1/7/09
"Dave Garland" wrote

> cshenk wrote:
>> That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with
>> none
>> of the problems the overseas stuff has had.
>
> I'm not sure one can assume that. The melamine problem in 2007, a lot
> of USA brands were affected. It's a global market, and manufacturers
> order ingredients from wherever the deal is best.

Yes, but the big companies (purina etc) arent what he's getting. It;s a
local feed store I gather. Unlikely the contract that out. Worth asking
though.

Evelyn

Jan 9, 2009, 7:25:31 AM1/9/09

"Dave Garland" <dave.g...@wizinfo.com> wrote in message

I think the problem is much more widespread than we all thought. My dogs
got sick that year. All are well now, but it was a scary time. I also
feed my cats science diet. But they also get a can of friskies in the AM
and one in the PM too. Buying it by the case in Sam's club is a decent
deal.

Spot

Jan 10, 2009, 12:30:37 AM1/10/09
You get what you pay for. I never feed any of my animals economy food. The
only time I ever did this my dog lost his hair. Never again.

I stick with brand names and look for sales and coupons. You can even buy
coupons for pet food and other items you use at the following web site.
I've been buying from them for years they are legit.
http://www.thecouponclippers.com/

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

"James" <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

SMS

Jan 10, 2009, 2:38:17 PM1/10/09

I volunteered for a cat rescue group, and we buy mass quantities of cat
food, and did extensive evaluations of the nutritional content, ash
levels, etc. of many of the dry foods, including the so-called premium
foods like Science Diet.

The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
rare.

Jan 13, 2009, 5:49:11 AM1/13/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Obviously price is a factor for rescue organizations, but dry cat food is
very high carb and should only be fed to cats occasionally as a treat. My
spoiled indoor cats love it, but the three of them only get one tiny bowl
once a week, or else they gain weight. My vet says that the only carbs cats
need can be found in the stomach of a mouse. The mouse-carbs are probably
why my furballs are good indoor mousers!

The Real Bev

Jan 13, 2009, 8:09:53 PM1/13/09
h wrote:

> "SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
>> expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
>> issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
>> rare.
>
> Obviously price is a factor for rescue organizations, but dry cat food is
> very high carb and should only be fed to cats occasionally as a treat. My
> spoiled indoor cats love it, but the three of them only get one tiny bowl
> once a week, or else they gain weight. My vet says that the only carbs cats
> need can be found in the stomach of a mouse. The mouse-carbs are probably
> why my furballs are good indoor mousers!

My daughter's cats and mini-dachshund have eaten dry food (probably Kirkland)
all their lives. She fills up one of those feeders that holds a gallon or so
whenever it's enpty. The animals are healthy, but the dog has a bit of extra
weight due to shared snacks with the grandspawn.

This goes against everything I've ever heard about dog-feeding --
"No matter how much you give them they'll eat it all RIGHT NOW". The dog
nibbles just like the cats. She'd be happy as a vegetarian and loves carrots,
fruit, broccoli, peanut butter...

I've also understood that the "affection" shown by cats is just marking the
producer of the food as theirs. Since these cats are fed by some miraculous
ever-generous invisible god, any friendliness would seem to be genuine. 3 of
the cats are extremely friendly and one is kind of shy, but eventually warms up.

--
Cheers, Bev
While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.

Evelyn

Jan 14, 2009, 12:43:29 AM1/14/09

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Our cats (3) get one can in the morning which they share, and another can in
the evening which they also share. The rest of the time they eat very good
quality dry food, as much as they want. I have been buying science diet
indoor cat for them which is not cheap. I have heard all that about not
feeding them dry food, but if I only fed them cans I would go broke. They
catch mice and birds and chipmunks and moles outside for fun and snack food.
All three are healthy and happy with silky shiny fur and bright eyes and no
problems. In fact I'd like to get these cats jobs and send them out to
work!!!!!

June

May 14, 2009, 12:17:12 PM5/14/09

"Evelyn" <evely...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hi Evelyn....Fancy meeting you here! Since one of cats has had bladder
issues. The vet said I should feed him canned cat food because he doesn't
drink enough water. So I give him both. Also he said the better quality
foods are better because some of the cheaper brands tend to make the cat
hungrier in order to sell more cat food. I only give my indoor cat Iams but
the outdoor ones get whatever is on sale. They do seem to be
thriving......June