Shredder?

KenK

May 6, 2010, 12:28:27 PM5/6/10
I decided to buy a good shredder and get rid of boxes and plastic bags full
of old receipts - monthly CD interest reports, bank deposit receipts, sales
receipts, etc. What should I look for? I bought a cheap one a year or so
ago and found the number of layers of paper it will handle is very
important so I can shred envelopes with folded recipts in one swell foop.
Anything else? Good brand?

What about length of time to retain various records, receipts, etc.?
Google?

VFW

May 6, 2010, 1:27:52 PM5/6/10
In article <Xns9D706061A9...@130.133.4.11>,
KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> I decided to buy a good shredder and get rid of boxes and plastic bags full
> of old receipts - monthly CD interest reports, bank deposit receipts, sales
> receipts, etc. What should I look for? I bought a cheap one a year or so
> ago and found the number of layers of paper it will handle is very
> important so I can shred envelopes with folded recipts in one swell foop.
> Anything else? Good brand?
>
> What about length of time to retain various records, receipts, etc.?
> Google?

and don't neglect using the shredder paper for mulch. maybe not on food
plants?
--
Enjoy this moment ! Thanks. g.

tmclone

May 6, 2010, 4:43:29 PM5/6/10
On May 6, 12:28 pm, KenK <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
> I decided to buy a good shredder and get rid of boxes and plastic bags full
> of old receipts - monthly CD interest reports, bank deposit receipts, sales
> receipts, etc. What should I look for? I bought a cheap one a year or so
> ago and found the number of layers of paper it will handle is very
> important so I can shred envelopes with folded recipts in one swell foop.
> Anything else? Good brand?
>
> What about length of time to retain various records, receipts, etc.?

We have a Copperhead that dices up everything (even credit cards) into
little dots. It's fast and does 7 layers of paper at a time. The only
time I have to watch it is during my yearly mass shredding right after
I file my taxes. I find that it works just fine for about 30 minutes
and then overheats and I have to turn it off for an hour. So...I only
shred one month's worth of stuff at a time, then let it rest for a
while. Even doing that it takes less than a day to shred it all.

I retain all tax docs for 7 years and then I toss/shred. Business docs
(DBA, trademark), deeds, insurance policies, etc. are kept forever or
until no longer in force or property sold, etc.

There's no reason to shred anything which doesn't contain any
identifying info. I still found receipts this year (7 years old) that
had my full credit card info printed, but that should stop eventually
now that it's illegal to print anything more than the last 4 digits.