Re: Liberians facing mass deportation from U.S.

hp...@lycos.com

Feb 10, 2009, 5:34:05 AM2/10/09
On Feb 9, 6:11 pm, "johnny@." <johnny@.> wrote:
> 7:00 PM 2/9/2009
>
> BROOKLYN CENTER, Minnesota (CNN) -- Thousands of Liberians living in the
> United States face deportation March 31 when a federal immigration
> status created for humanitarian purposes expires.
>
> In the 1990s, a bloody civil war raged through the West African nation,
> killing 250,000 people and displacing more than a million, according to
> a U.N. report. The United States extended "temporary protection status"
> to all Liberians who could get to America, and 14,000 of them took
> advantage of that humanitarian offer.
>
> Temporary protection status is an immigration status somewhere between
> political asylum and refugee status. Administered by the Department of
> Homeland Security and the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration
> Services, it is extended to nationals of countries facing civil unrest
> or natural disaster.
>
> For years, the temporary protection status for Liberians was extended as
> the situation there worsened under dictator Charles Taylor. But Taylor
> was ousted in 2003 and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was elected Liberia's first
> female president in 2006. In 2007, citing the progress in Liberia,
> President George W. Bush signed an order of "delayed enforced departure"
> for Liberians who had been under temporary protection status, giving
> them 18 months to return to Liberia.Video Watch more on the uncertainty
> of Liberians living in U.S. »
>
> Corvah Akoiwala, a Liberian national who was fresh out of college when
> civil war broke out, remembers how it used to be there. "They dragged us
> from our homes, they were shooting all around us. They said they were
> going to have us killed," he said
>
> "On Tupero Road they had a killing field. Like every day they took
> someone to this field and they would just shoot them in front of
> everybody. It was just terrible," he said. He came to the United States
> in 1992 and settled in Rhode Island.
>
> A civil engineer by education, Akoiwala married and had three children,
> all of whom are American citizens.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/09/liberians.deportation/index.html
>
> I have often wondered if children born here to people under "temporary
> protection status" are citizens.  Now I know.
>
> I think it's bullshit.

Getting 'em moving.

mitch

http://www.wvwnews.net/ Western Voices World News

Belinda Belfry

Feb 11, 2009, 1:39:24 AM2/11/09

<hp...@lycos.com> wrote in message

Getting 'em moving.

mitch

When they brought the Liberians in they should have made rules such as no
marriage or children while in the US. It is now a can of worms trying to
send them back.

truth...@nospam.net

Feb 11, 2009, 6:19:42 AM2/11/09

We need to keep hard working immigrants and deport hate-filled assholes
like you characters -- to where ever your grandparents came from.

In <woukl.19479$cu....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, on 02/11/2009

josephi...@ymail.com

Feb 16, 2009, 6:49:12 PM2/16/09
The Liberians who are facing deportation are those that are on TPS.
These Liberian have had to maintain a clean record through out their
stay in the US inorder to eligible for renewal each year. Therefore,
they've been out of jail, working, paying taxes, and for those who are
concerned about the welfare system, Liberians on TPS are not eligible
for welfare. These liberians have lawfully resided in the United
States for years, without being given the opportunity to return home
for visits. However, now they've been asked to leave to return to a
country that they have not been to in years, and one that is not able
to accomadate its citizens.

Please visit LIBERIANIMMIGRATIONACT.ORG to show your support!