Frugal Fixes for New Technology

Artys

Feb 25, 2009, 6:58:10 PM2/25/09
Hello all,

I am new to this group. I belong to the website WetCanvas, and
lately they have had a thread about various frugal fixes for such
things as bad hard drives, dried-up ink, etc. It is in one of the
channels. The idea for dried up ink is to warm it up with a hair
blowdryer for awhile, which lets the ink flow again.

Rod Speed

Feb 25, 2009, 8:30:46 PM2/25/09
Artys wrote:

> I am new to this group. I belong to the website WetCanvas,
> and lately they have had a thread about various frugal fixes
> for such things as bad hard drives,

No such animal.

> dried-up ink, etc. It is in one of the channels. The idea for dried up ink is
> to warm it up with a hair blowdryer for awhile, which lets the ink flow again.

Doesnt work when the head is blocked.

meow...@care2.com

Feb 26, 2009, 3:43:53 AM2/26/09
Artys wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to this group. I belong to the website WetCanvas, and
> lately they have had a thread about various frugal fixes for such
> things as bad hard drives,

there are no workable fixes.

> dried-up ink, etc. It is in one of the
> channels. The idea for dried up ink is to warm it up with a hair
> blowdryer for awhile, which lets the ink flow again.

that won't rehydrate the ink. A soak in water or alcohol is the usual
method, the success rate is patchy though, I wouldnt bother. Theres
not much sense in going inkjet these days.

NT

Dave Garland

Feb 26, 2009, 10:54:57 AM2/26/09
meow...@care2.com wrote:

> I wouldnt bother. Theres
> not much sense in going inkjet these days.

I'm not a big fan of inkjets either. But you can get quite decent
color output for $100, even $50, and price is often a concern. Where
can I find a color laser for that price?

Dave

Bob F

Feb 26, 2009, 11:26:59 AM2/26/09

Craigslist? Freecycle?

My HP 4650N was $0. 5 toner carts cost me $30.

Rod Speed

Feb 26, 2009, 2:12:36 PM2/26/09

Thats just plain wrong. I print almost nothing except the very very
occasional form I have to physically sign and post back and CD/DVDs.

Inkjet is the best way to print that.

meow...@care2.com

Feb 26, 2009, 4:40:04 PM2/26/09

I just got fed up with the frequent refiling and the many pages
rejected with lines missing, gets real old after the printhead's aged
a while. Inkjets just dont last well. A laser cuts all the nonsense
out, no messing and no bad print for far longer.

NT

Rod Speed

Feb 26, 2009, 4:51:46 PM2/26/09
meow...@care2.com wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> meow...@care2.com wrote
>>> Artys wrote

>>> there are no workable fixes.

>>> that won't rehydrate the ink. A soak in water or alcohol is the
>>> usual method, the success rate is patchy though, I wouldnt bother.

>>> Theres not much sense in going inkjet these days.

>> Thats just plain wrong. I print almost nothing except the very very
>> occasional form I have to physically sign and post back and CD/DVDs.

>> Inkjet is the best way to print that.

> I just got fed up with the frequent refiling

You dont get any of that with the volume of printing I do.

> and the many pages rejected with lines missing,

And that either if you choose the inkjet printer properly.

> gets real old after the printhead's aged a while.

Thats not a problem with the volume I print, I just get a
new cartridge very occassionally, like every few years.

> Inkjets just dont last well.

Yes they do if you choose a decent design.

> A laser cuts all the nonsense out, no messing and no bad print for far longer.

Yes, they make sense for much higher volume printing than I do.

BUT your original dismissal of inkjet printers is just plain wrong for the volume I do.

And lasers wont print on CD/DVDs either. If you have an inkjet to
print on those, and you dont print a lot, it makes sense to use the
inkjet for the very small amount of printing on paper I do as well.

Bob F

Feb 26, 2009, 5:42:47 PM2/26/09

And way less cost/page.