Grow tomatoes up-side down?

VFW

May 24, 2010, 10:51:43 AM5/24/10
here's how to do it, for less than the TV ad's $20

http://upsidedowntomatoplant.com/dyi.html
--
Money! What a concept.

Lou

May 24, 2010, 12:23:00 PM5/24/10
I guess it may make sense to grow the plants off the ground - it may get
them out of reach of some pests like cutworms. But it seems a little hard
to believe that the plants will grow better upside down than they will right
side up, all else being equal. Anyone done a side-by-side test?

"VFW" <geor...@toast.net> wrote in message

Bob F

May 24, 2010, 12:24:50 PM5/24/10

My neighbor tried the commercial version. Said it was wasted time, energy, and
money.

Jeff Thies

May 24, 2010, 1:00:54 PM5/24/10
Lou wrote:
> I guess it may make sense to grow the plants off the ground - it may get
> them out of reach of some pests like cutworms. But it seems a little hard
> to believe that the plants will grow better upside down than they will right
> side up, all else being equal.

The Tomato, after all, is a vine. It would just as soon lay on the
ground if we hadn't interceded to keep the fruits off the ground. It
doesn't have any trouble changing direction. I wonder if watering from
the bottom might help the roots grow, along the same lines of watering
deeply to encourage deep growth.

I found this:

http://nzdl.sadl.uleth.ca/gsdl/collect/fnl2.2/archives/HASH018f.dir/p009.gif

What a root system!

I know that irregular watering leads to blossom end rot and the fruit
splitting.

Anyone done a side-by-side test?

Not that I could find. Must be somewhere.

Jeff

Sofa Slug

May 24, 2010, 4:12:43 PM5/24/10
Jeff Thies wrote:
> Lou wrote:
>> I guess it may make sense to grow the plants off the ground - it may
>> get them out of reach of some pests like cutworms. But it seems a
>> little hard to believe that the plants will grow better upside down
>> than they will right side up, all else being equal.
>

> The Tomato, after all, is a vine. It would just as soon lay on the
> ground if we hadn't interceded to keep the fruits off the ground. It
> doesn't have any trouble changing direction. I wonder if watering from
> the bottom might help the roots grow, along the same lines of watering
> deeply to encourage deep growth.
>
> I found this:
>
> http://nzdl.sadl.uleth.ca/gsdl/collect/fnl2.2/archives/HASH018f.dir/p009.gif
>

> What a root system!
>
> I know that irregular watering leads to blossom end rot and the fruit
> splitting.
>
> Anyone done a side-by-side test?

An apartment dwelling friend was growing tomatoes with a "Topsy Turvy
Tomato Tree". He said that the results were disappointing. He's had
spectacular results with this, though:
http://tinyurl.com/Earthbox-garden-kit

Apparently the built-in watering system works very well.

Rod Speed

May 24, 2010, 5:02:40 PM5/24/10
Lou wrote:

> I guess it may make sense to grow the plants off the ground - it may get them out of reach of some pests like
> cutworms. But it seems a little hard to believe that the plants will grow better upside down than they will right
> side up, all else being equal. Anyone done a side-by-side test?

Yep, it works fine both ways.

Just means that tomatoes are a very adaptable plant.

You can do it with strawberrys too.

> VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote

Rod Speed

May 24, 2010, 5:05:55 PM5/24/10
Jeff Thies wrote:
> Lou wrote:
>> I guess it may make sense to grow the plants off the ground - it may
>> get them out of reach of some pests like cutworms. But it seems a
>> little hard to believe that the plants will grow better upside down
>> than they will right side up, all else being equal.

> The Tomato, after all, is a vine.

No it isnt.

> It would just as soon lay on the ground if we hadn't interceded to keep the fruits off the ground.

Thats wrong too with bush varietys.

> It doesn't have any trouble changing direction.

True. And plenty of other stuff doesnt either like strawberrys and other espaliered trees.

> I wonder if watering from the bottom might help the roots grow,

Nope, not evidence with hydroponic tomatoes that it makes any difference.

> along the same lines of watering deeply to encourage deep growth.

Doesnt work with some plants like lettuce.

> I found this:

> http://nzdl.sadl.uleth.ca/gsdl/collect/fnl2.2/archives/HASH018f.dir/p009.gif

> What a root system!

> I know that irregular watering leads to blossom end rot and the fruit splitting.

>> Anyone done a side-by-side test?

> Not that I could find. Must be somewhere.

Yep, tried both ways myself.