USENET USE EXPLODES

Cheapo Groovo

Jan 7, 2009, 11:42:15 AM1/7/09
Story folows

Giganews, the largest gateway to Usenet, or the newsgroups, has reported
"unprecedented growth" in the last year. The newsgroups are one of the
oldest mediums of the Internet, with an existence dating back to the
late 1970s. Over time, the newsgroups have evolved from a bulletin board
type messaging system to one of the premier avenues for file-sharing.
Users of this network will often times argue of its overwhelming
supremacy over rival BitTorrent.

With lawsuits, bandwidth throttling and politicking consuming the P2P
community, the newsgroups are becoming a more attractive source of
information. Because of the defined roles in the newsgroup community and
secure transmissions, lawsuits against individuals are virtually non-
existent. Unlike P2P, the end user is not required nor encouraged to
upload material. Instead, dedicated users with the know-how and
experience are responsible for providing content. And according to
Giganews, those individuals and those posting messages are taking the
newsgroups by storm.

In a release posted today, Giganews is reporting that since the upgrade
to 240 days, the already impressive growth initiated in January has
accelerated.
http://cheapogroovo.vox.com

Dave Garland

Jan 7, 2009, 1:17:10 PM1/7/09
Cheapo Groovo wrote:
> Story folows
>
> Giganews, the largest gateway to Usenet, or the newsgroups, has reported
> "unprecedented growth" in the last year.

I rather think it is not Usenet whose use is exploding, but rather
that as ISPs eliminate news service, those users that are left
gravitate toward Giganews. Good for Giganews but bad for Usenet as a
whole.

(My ISP no longer has its own news servers, but buys access from
Giganews.)

Dave

catalpa

Jan 7, 2009, 4:57:19 PM1/7/09

"Cheapo Groovo" <cc...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Story folows
>
> Giganews, the largest gateway to Usenet, or the newsgroups, has reported
> "unprecedented growth" in the last year. The newsgroups are one of the
> oldest mediums of the Internet, with an existence dating back to the
> late 1970s. Over time, the newsgroups have evolved from a bulletin board
> type messaging system to one of the premier avenues for file-sharing.
> Users of this network will often times argue of its overwhelming
> supremacy over rival BitTorrent.

The "unprecedented growth" seen by Giganews is because the complete moron NY
AG Andrew Cuomo forced every ISP doing business in NY to dump Usenet service
because a handful of binary groups contained kiddie porn. Every sicko
pervert still gets their kiddie porn from paid Usenet providers and the rest
of us now have to pay or use free servers for even text alt groups.

The bottom line is that the complete moron NY AG Andrew Cuomo has done
nothing about kiddie porn on Usenet, but has screwed over millions of
regular Usenet users.

Dave Garland

Jan 7, 2009, 9:24:33 PM1/7/09
catalpa wrote:

> The "unprecedented growth" seen by Giganews is because the complete moron NY
> AG Andrew Cuomo forced every ISP doing business in NY to dump Usenet service
> because a handful of binary groups contained kiddie porn.

The ISPs are using that as an excuse, because they don't want to
bother with Usenet anyhow. According to the people at my ISP, an ISP
that probably has a much techier clientele than the average cable
company, relatively few people use Usenet or even know what it is
(some think it's a google operation), and it's a PITA to maintain the
servers. So they got rid of their own servers and use Giganews as the
server.

After all, in the minds of the public, "Internet" == "web".

Dave

catalpa

Jan 8, 2009, 1:19:35 AM1/8/09

"Dave Garland" <dave.g...@wizinfo.com> wrote in message

Let's say you are an ISP such as Verizon, are you going to spend hundreds of
thousands or millions of dollars on legal fees fighting the complete moron
NY AG Andrew Cuomo and be unfairly labelled pro kiddie porn or are you just
going to cave in and dump 99% of Usenet?

ISPs have never needed an excuse to get rid of Usenet as every ISP's TOS
allows them to alter their service as they please.

In the past I have seen estimates that only 3% to 5% of the average ISP's
customers use Usenet. Someone must be very, very busy 24/7 posting that 4.6
terabytes that shows up on Usenet every day.

Dave Garland

Jan 8, 2009, 12:44:36 PM1/8/09
catalpa wrote:
> Let's say you are an ISP such as Verizon, are you going to spend hundreds of
> thousands or millions of dollars on legal fees fighting the complete moron
> NY AG Andrew Cuomo and be unfairly labelled pro kiddie porn or are you just
> going to cave in and dump 99% of Usenet?

They *could* have just dumped the sex groups, or the binary groups
(after all, pictures are where the porn is). But it was a great
excuse to dump the whole thing. It's not like Verizon actually wants
to provide services, if they can get you to give them money without
doing so. I'm not defending Cuomo, but the Verizons aren't any better.

> In the past I have seen estimates that only 3% to 5% of the average ISP's
> customers use Usenet. Someone must be very, very busy 24/7 posting that 4.6
> terabytes that shows up on Usenet every day.

I dunno. The binary groups eat space pretty fast, I'd bet that 3/4 of
that volume is binaries. As for the text groups, the spammers
probably have it automated. But you're probably right of the usage,
most people don't know Usenet exists.

Dave

imascot

Jan 10, 2009, 5:50:29 PM1/10/09
"catalpa" <cat...@entertab.org> wrote in

> "Cheapo Groovo" <cc...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Story folows
>>
>> Giganews, the largest gateway to Usenet, or the newsgroups, has
>> reported "unprecedented growth" in the last year. The newsgroups are
>> one of the oldest mediums of the Internet, with an existence dating
>> back to the late 1970s. Over time, the newsgroups have evolved from a
>> bulletin board type messaging system to one of the premier avenues
>> for file-sharing. Users of this network will often times argue of its
>> overwhelming supremacy over rival BitTorrent.
>>

> The bottom line is that the complete moron NY AG Andrew Cuomo has done
> nothing about kiddie porn on Usenet, but has screwed over millions of
> regular Usenet users.

I haven't heard this; I live in NY and use my ISP's USENET service. They haven't told me it's to be
disconnected (yet).

J.

Dave Garland

Jan 10, 2009, 7:15:34 PM1/10/09
imascot wrote:

> I haven't heard this; I live in NY and use my ISP's USENET service. They haven't told me it's to be
> disconnected (yet).

And if you have a smaller ISP, you may not. It was (IIRC) Comcast and
Verizon, using it as an excuse to cut service without cutting prices.

Dave

imascot

Jan 11, 2009, 3:27:19 PM1/11/09
Dave Garland <dave.g...@wizinfo.com> wrote in

Actually,I have Optimum Online (Cablevision), they're a biggie. Nothing yet, but knowing them, they
won't say a word, it will just not work one day. I already have a few others set up, though.

J.