Companies packaging cleansers, other deadly chemicals in bottles that look like beverage containers

bala...@yahoo.com

Jul 2, 2008, 5:14:48 AM7/2/08
http://consumerist.com/tag/poison-control/?i=5021330&t=dont-drink-lamp-oil-or-youll-die

Don't Drink Lamp Oil Or You'll Die

Just saw this on the TV, lamp oil manufacturers have issued a new
warning: don't drink lamp oil. It seems someone died after doing so.
Not sure what the story is, but like other household products, it's
important to keep them in their proper containers. For instance, some
colored lamp oils can look like cranberry juice. Here are some other
poisons and the foods they can look like.

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Jul 2, 2008, 9:11:23 AM7/2/08
On Jul 2, 5:14 am, balanc...@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://consumerist.com/tag/poison-control/?i=5021330&t=dont-drink-lam...

> Don't Drink Lamp Oil Or You'll Die
>
> Just saw this on the TV, lamp oil manufacturers have issued a new
> warning: don't drink lamp oil. It seems someone died after doing so.
> Not sure what the story is, but like other household products, it's
> important to keep them in their proper containers. For instance, some
> colored lamp oils can look like cranberry juice. Here are some other
> poisons and the foods they can look like.

And in other news, water is wet. I'm so sick of this "foam pad the
world"
mentality. Some moronic mistakes should be fatal, preferably before
the
deceased has had a chance to add more "stupid" to the gene pool. We
have
enough of that already.

Vandy Terre

Jul 2, 2008, 10:43:34 AM7/2/08

Okay, I agree this 'foam pad the world mentality' is getting old. But maybe it
is needed.

No longer do multiple generations live in one home and pass information to each
other.

No longer do small families only have a half dozen children, with the older
children helping with the care of the younger and the younger in turn helping
with the offspring of older siblings.

No longer do poisonous/ toxic substances come in textured bottles so that at a
touch a person knows to be cautious. I am not event sure the old 'skull and
crossbones' poison warning is on all the products it really should be. I know
my children did not have the symbol drilled into them as a warning of danger in
public school. I taught it to them, but it is not on all it should be.

With the advent of birth control devices being readily available, family size
has decreased. Many children are strongly encouraged to move out at age
eighteen or before. The nuclear family is now a rare thing. Safety measures
that were once taught by living in a large, multi-generation family are
forgotten. Social pressure on families that try to keep multi-generations
together is near unbearable.

Manufacturers have developed the means to attract customers with pretty
containers and no longer understand that pretty can be deadly. Income is the
driving force, not customer safety. Legally, the manufacturer can label a
product and/ or container as dangerous so as to avoid responsibility.

Seerialmom

Jul 2, 2008, 5:01:58 PM7/2/08
> Don't Drink Lamp Oil Or You'll Die
>
> Just saw this on the TV, lamp oil manufacturers have issued a new
> warning: don't drink lamp oil. It seems someone died after doing so.
> Not sure what the story is, but like other household products, it's
> important to keep them in their proper containers. For instance, some
> colored lamp oils can look like cranberry juice. Here are some other
> poisons and the foods they can look like.

Although this is a valid concern, I'm wondering how big a factor it is
whether the packaging is the same for beverages vs cleaning products
(or poisons). I'm more concerned about labeling that could be
ambiguous or written in a language that isn't understood.
Additionally, I have seen in some stores where non-food items are
merchandised near food aisles.
Back to the lamp oil death though. "Who" would mistake the taste/
texture of "lamp oil" for cranberry juice? Seems a bit fishy to me.

Rod Speed

Jul 2, 2008, 5:44:32 PM7/2/08

And you're unlikely to die from a mouthful of lamp oil even if you managed
to swallow it before you realised from the taste that it wasnt juice anyway.

Lou

Jul 2, 2008, 7:41:07 PM7/2/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Although this is a valid concern, I'm wondering how big a factor it is
> whether the packaging is the same for beverages vs cleaning products
> (or poisons). I'm more concerned about labeling that could be
> ambiguous or written in a language that isn't understood.
> Additionally, I have seen in some stores where non-food items are
> merchandised near food aisles.
> Back to the lamp oil death though. "Who" would mistake the taste/
> texture of "lamp oil" for cranberry juice? Seems a bit fishy to me.

I find it hard to imagine that someone could do this as well, but . . .

One of the jobs I had in my late teens and early twenties was delivering
groceries - people would call the store, we'd make up the order, and I'd
drive it out and lug it into the house. One of my customers was the very
old woman - in her seventies or eighties, with a strained, raspy voice. She
told me that, as a child, she'd eaten lye from a can and as you may imagine
it ruined her throat. For her entire life, she had to see a doctor every
few weeks to keep her throat open.

When you see how quickly kids spit out stuff like green beans or peas, it's
hard to believe one would swallow lye, or anyone would swallow lamp oil.
But it happens.

bala...@yahoo.com

Jul 3, 2008, 3:37:59 AM7/3/08
On Jul 2, 6:11 am, tmcl...@searchmachine.com wrote:
> On Jul 2, 5:14 am, balanc...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >http://consumerist.com/tag/poison-control/?i=5021330&t=dont-drink-lam...
>
> > Don't Drink Lamp Oil Or You'll Die
>
> > Just saw this on the TV, lamp oil manufacturers have issued a new
> > warning: don't drink lamp oil. It seems someone died after doing so.
> > Not sure what the story is, but like other household products, it's
> > important to keep them in their proper containers. For instance, some
> > colored lamp oils can look like cranberry juice. Here are some other
> > poisons and the foods they can look like.
>
> And in other news, water is wet. I'm so sick of this "foam pad the
> world"
> mentality.

No one is saying foam the world. Or maybe you would rather rat poison
look like candy bars, or
ammonia look like juice pack of lemonade?

> Some moronic mistakes should be fatal, preferably before
> the

Yes, because we all know you are Mr Perfect %100 of the time.

> deceased has had a chance to add more "stupid" to the gene pool. We
> have
> enough of that already.

Or maybe companies should stop being so damn cheap, and pack
dangerous substances in packaging that would not be mistaken for food
or drink, esp by kids.

bala...@yahoo.com

Jul 3, 2008, 3:46:10 AM7/3/08
On Jul 2, 2:01 pm, Seerialmom <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2:14 am, balanc...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >http://consumerist.com/tag/poison-control/?i=5021330&t=dont-drink-lam...
>
> > Don't Drink Lamp Oil Or You'll Die
>
> > Just saw this on the TV, lamp oil manufacturers have issued a new
> > warning: don't drink lamp oil. It seems someone died after doing so.
> > Not sure what the story is, but like other household products, it's
> > important to keep them in their proper containers. For instance, some
> > colored lamp oils can look like cranberry juice. Here are some other
> > poisons and the foods they can look like.
>
> Although this is a valid concern, I'm wondering how big a factor it is
> whether the packaging is the same for beverages vs cleaning products

I know I almost mistook cleaning fluids as a drink a couple times in
my life (thankfully, I always check the
container before consuming whats in it). In fact, I have a bottle of
"generic Pine-Sol" cleaner right now that looks
exactly like a sports drink; if it weren't for the label people would
think it was.

I imagine there were plenty of incidents where someone was busy, or
otherwise distracted, and reached for a container that looks like it's
holding food, and accidentally took a mouthful of the dangerous non-
food contents inside.

> (or poisons). I'm more concerned about labeling that could be
> ambiguous or written in a language that isn't understood.

Or worse,a kid who can't read yet takes a hold of the product.

> Additionally, I have seen in some stores where non-food items are
> merchandised near food aisles.
> Back to the lamp oil death though. "Who" would mistake the taste/
> texture of "lamp oil" for cranberry juice? Seems a bit fishy to me.

The person might have lost their sense of taste or smell

nospam

Jul 3, 2008, 4:43:03 AM7/3/08
<bala...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ef42e24a-d6b9-4b26...@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

If you aren't careful about what you're putting in your mouth,
it's not my job to protect you from natural selection. And it's
certainly not the government's job.

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Jul 3, 2008, 9:46:36 AM7/3/08
On Jul 3, 4:43 am, "nospam" <nos...@comcast.invalid.net> wrote:

> >  The person might have lost their sense of taste or smell
>
> If you aren't careful about what you're putting in your mouth,
> it's not my job to protect you from natural selection.  And it's

> certainly not the government's job.- Hide quoted text -

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner. Any person, child or adult, who
can't
read a label should not be left alone unsupervised. Any person who
confuses
a sports drink from the fridge with a cleaning product from the
cabinet
under the sink needs a visit from Uncle Chuck (Darwin).