Individual frugality is no match for population growth

Enough Already

Sep 2, 2008, 4:32:02 PM9/2/08
How many of you detect a general, growing scarcity as human population
growth collides with physical limits? Not just any one thing, like the
price of oil.

Frugality is being overrun by 210,000 more people each day. An
additional 77 million per year cannot be added to a finite world
without consequences. There are too many people feeding at the trough
and fighting for space. There is not "plenty of land" when you look at
how it's being used already. A global balance of births and deaths is
vital, and only requires existing drugstore technology.

What is economic growth really, except the endless accommodation of
more people and the loss of wilderness? Economies of scale for
manufacturing were achieved decades ago. The market is just getting
more bloated with consumers. The rich are skimming off the top as
they've always done, but the ratio of poor to rich is growing. That's
the thing to watch for.

If you live in a fast-growing area the feeling is palpable. Why must
all these people be here? What's the point of all these new homes,
destroying the last remnants of open space, and farmland that was
supposed to feed the future? Why is it assumed that traffic must keep
getting worse? Apathy and mindless consumption are driving our
destiny, not logic.

If every speech-maker replaced the words "economic growth" with
"population growth," real change might happen. You have to define what
a thing really is before you can tackle it. But society is stuck on
"growth" as theoretical concept of self-improvement, ignoring physical
limits in a finite world. There is an urgent need to discern between
growth of quantity and _quality_.

E.A.

http://enough_already.tripod.com/

"How crowded can we make this planet?" is not much of a legacy.

Rod Speed

Sep 2, 2008, 5:44:21 PM9/2/08
Enough Already <enough_...@lycos.com> wrote:

> How many of you detect a general, growing scarcity as
> human population growth collides with physical limits?

No such animal to 'notice'

> Not just any one thing, like the price of oil.

> Frugality is being overrun by 210,000 more people each day.

Just tossing the word frugality in cuts no mustard.

> An additional 77 million per year cannot be added to a finite world without consequences.

Correct, but there have always been fools mindlessly hyperventilating about
the purported consequences ever since that fool Malthus started doing that.

> There are too many people feeding at the trough and fighting for space.

You're always welcome to do the decent thing and fix your contribution to that problem.

> There is not "plenty of land" when you look at how it's being used already.

Wrong, as always. Have a look at the density of HK sometime.

Hardly anywhere else is anything like that.

> A global balance of births and deaths is vital,
> and only requires existing drugstore technology.

Doesnt even require that. Every single modern first and second world country
isnt even self sustaining population wise now if you take out migration.

> What is economic growth really, except the endless
> accommodation of more people and the loss of wilderness?

Economic growth is what has produced the fact that every single modern first and second
world country isnt even self sustaining population wise now if you take out migration.

> Economies of scale for manufacturing were achieved decades ago.
> The market is just getting more bloated with consumers.

You're always welcome to do the decent thing and fix your contribution to that problem.

> The rich are skimming off the top as they've always
> done, but the ratio of poor to rich is growing.

Pig ignorant lie.

> That's the thing to watch for.

Nope.

> If you live in a fast-growing area the feeling is palpable.
> Why must all these people be here? What's the point of
> all these new homes, destroying the last remnants of open
> space, and farmland that was supposed to feed the future?

We worked out how to make farmland much more productive
so we can feed much more than ourselves with it fine.

> Why is it assumed that traffic must keep getting worse?

It isnt.

> Apathy and mindless consumption are driving our destiny, not logic.

You wouldnt know what real logic was if it bit you on your lard arse.

> If every speech-maker replaced the words "economic growth"
> with "population growth," real change might happen.

Nope, because their speeches are completely irrelevant.

> You have to define what a thing really is before you can tackle it.

Clearly you are hopeless at that.

> But society is stuck on "growth" as theoretical concept of
> self-improvement, ignoring physical limits in a finite world.

Wrong, as always.

> There is an urgent need to discern between growth of quantity and _quality_.

And you're claiming that you are the first to realise that, eh ?

> E.A.

Unlikely that your 'parents' called you that. If they did, sue their arses.

> http://enough_already.tripod.com/

> "How crowded can we make this planet?" is not much of a legacy.

Every single modern first and second world country isnt even
self sustaining population wise now if you take out migration.

So run along and work out why that hasnt happened in the third world yet.

Lou

Sep 2, 2008, 8:12:38 PM9/2/08

"Enough Already" <enough_...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> How many of you detect a general, growing scarcity as human population
> growth collides with physical limits? Not just any one thing, like the
> price of oil.

The price of oil, so far anyway, is a political problem, not one of supply.

> Frugality is being overrun by 210,000 more people each day. An
> additional 77 million per year cannot be added to a finite world
> without consequences. There are too many people feeding at the trough
> and fighting for space. There is not "plenty of land" when you look at
> how it's being used already. A global balance of births and deaths is
> vital, and only requires existing drugstore technology.

Feel free to step aside at any time in order to make room for someone new.

Tony

Sep 3, 2008, 7:23:10 PM9/3/08
Your 210,000 more people each day are welfare puppies to be. The kind of
bastards that add nothing to this world except hardships for the working
class whiteman. The whiteman supports these motherwhores as the world
scales tilt in favor of 3rd world dogshit.

Enough Already wrote:

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Cheapo Groovo

Sep 14, 2008, 10:38:52 AM9/14/08
In article <b9e492ad-3225-41e2-af4b-
7b9c79...@s1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, enough_...@lycos.com
says...
I teach self-sustainability. Will anyone listen is the real question?

http://cheapogroovo.vox.com