OT: When to have a party?

Jamie

Oct 25, 2007, 11:03:11 PM10/25/07
I am toying with the idea of a seven deadly sins themed party for my
37th birthday. But here is my problem: My birthday is in January--too
soon after Christmas--no time for planning a party. Who else has this
problem?

Some have suggested having it another time, but I don't like that
idea--I have to have a reason for it. I cannot wait another year, as
planning ahead that far does not work for me. If I cannot act on an
idea immediately I will eventually lose interest. And seven deadly
sins on my 38th birthday just doesn't seem appropriate.

Does anyone like the idea of just having a party for no real reason? I
just don't like that idea. I can't seem to convince myself otherwise.
What does anyone else think?

A few years ago, I bought the Hippie Handbook and saw how to celebrate
your birthday in that way. But there was no time. I ddi not like my
mom's sugestion of just a party any time--the book said nothing about
that idea.

One year I ran into some people at a Salvation Army store who told the
man at the store they were going to an 80s party. this was one week
before Christmas. I asked if was for a birthday, but they said no.
This did not convince me that this was a good idea.

Shawn Hirn

Oct 26, 2007, 5:38:06 AM10/26/07
In article <1193367791....@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
Jamie <jan...@ihollister.net> wrote:

> I am toying with the idea of a seven deadly sins themed party for my
> 37th birthday. But here is my problem: My birthday is in January--too
> soon after Christmas--no time for planning a party. Who else has this
> problem?
>
> Some have suggested having it another time, but I don't like that
> idea--I have to have a reason for it. I cannot wait another year, as
> planning ahead that far does not work for me. If I cannot act on an
> idea immediately I will eventually lose interest. And seven deadly
> sins on my 38th birthday just doesn't seem appropriate.
>
> Does anyone like the idea of just having a party for no real reason? I
> just don't like that idea. I can't seem to convince myself otherwise.
> What does anyone else think?

Have the party when you want. Its your money, your home, your time. If
you want to have a party to celebrate your birthday when your birthday
actually takes place, do that. If you want to have a party some other
time of year, do that. My dad's birthday is January 3rd, and when his
80th birthday rolls around in two years, my sister and I will definitely
going to throw him a big surprise party at my sister's house (she has a
great party house), and the party will be pretty close to his birthday.
If you feel you prefer to have your party some other time, then just
make some excuse for it, like to celebrate a friend's birthday or your
pet toad's birthday, or little Johny's graduation from kindergarten,
whatever. You don't need anyone's permission to throw a party if you are
paying for it and hosting it at your house.

Anthony Matonak

Oct 26, 2007, 8:34:36 AM10/26/07
Jamie wrote:

> Some have suggested having it another time, but I don't like that
> idea--I have to have a reason for it.

For a small fee I can come up with a variety of justifications for
having a party at a time of your choosing. :)

Anthony

Knit Chic

Oct 26, 2007, 9:33:09 AM10/26/07

"Jamie" <jan...@ihollister.net> wrote in message

You can have an UnBirthday Party.
It's at the 6th month mark. My BD is at Christmas ... it stinks.
But for a 7 deadly party you could have it on the first month that a Sunday
is on the 7th, at 7 p.m. or at least have a drunkin' toast at 7 p.m. :)
btw, sounds like fun :)

rick++

Oct 26, 2007, 10:20:25 AM10/26/07
Then too after "continuous" parties from Halloween to New Years,
January can be a let-down. Mardi Gras, Chinese New Years,
and Valentines Day leave a 5-6 week gap perfect for a birthday party.

Jeff

Oct 26, 2007, 11:05:50 AM10/26/07
Jamie wrote:
> I am toying with the idea of a seven deadly sins themed party for my
> 37th birthday. But here is my problem: My birthday is in January--too
> soon after Christmas--no time for planning a party.

Not to mention it's the same theme as we celebrate here for Christmas.

Who else has this
> problem?
>
> Some have suggested having it another time, but I don't like that
> idea--I have to have a reason for it. I cannot wait another year, as
> planning ahead that far does not work for me. If I cannot act on an
> idea immediately I will eventually lose interest. And seven deadly
> sins on my 38th birthday just doesn't seem appropriate.
>
> Does anyone like the idea of just having a party for no real reason?

There's always a reason to get together with friends.

> just don't like that idea. I can't seem to convince myself otherwise.

You want us to talk you into a party and we aren't even invited!

I haven't had a party for my birthday in years and years and years,
but I've had parties for other reasons. Do whatever you like or save
your party for around Valentines day.

I think you may need to either get a grip, or get a life... Birthday
parties are either for kids or for milestone years for adults. I'm
planning one for my 100th!

Jeff

Jamie

Oct 26, 2007, 1:44:54 PM10/26/07

> Have the party when you want. Its your money, your home, your time. If
> you want to have a party to celebrate your birthday when your birthday
> actually takes place, do that. If you want to have a party some other
> time of year, do that. My dad's birthday is January 3rd, and when his
> 80th birthday rolls around in two years, my sister and I will definitely
> going to throw him a big surprise party at my sister's house (she has a
> great party house), and the party will be pretty close to his birthday.
> If you feel you prefer to have your party some other time, then just
> make some excuse for it, like to celebrate a friend's birthday or your
> pet toad's birthday, or little Johny's graduation from kindergarten,
> whatever. You don't need anyone's permission to throw a party if you are
> paying for it and hosting it at your house.

Actually I live in a mobile home park and my house (a single wide) is
not big enough for a party, and there's no lighting in the backyard
area or on the back porch. The park as a clubhouse (near the pool)
where people can have parties, but you have to play about $300 for sue
of the clubhouse.

As for another person's party, a kid's graduation party or a pet's
birthday, those aren't options for me.

timeOday

Oct 27, 2007, 3:14:22 PM10/27/07
Knit Chic wrote:

> You can have an UnBirthday Party.
> It's at the 6th month mark. My BD is at Christmas ... it stinks.
> But for a 7 deadly party you could have it on the first month that a Sunday
> is on the 7th, at 7 p.m. or at least have a drunkin' toast at 7 p.m. :)
> btw, sounds like fun :)

Yes, we've had some "half-birthday" parties for my kids, 6 months from
their birthday. We sing "happy half birthday to you," my wife makes
half a cake (a two layer cake made from a 1 layer cake cut in half),
it's fun.