LA times features 5 scams to watch out for during a recession.

ulti...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2008, 4:11:11 PM10/14/08

catalpa

Oct 14, 2008, 5:46:05 PM10/14/08

<ulti...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ea7e7bd6-89af-4df4...@a19g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

Doesn't even list the number 1 scam: "I'm from the government and I'm here
to help you".

timeOday

Oct 16, 2008, 11:15:24 AM10/16/08

Back in the real world, social security has had an unprecedented effect
in reducing poverty of the elderly. And of the dozens of countries
which outrank the US with lower rates of infant mortality, all have
socialized health care.

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 12:57:53 PM10/16/08
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote

>>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-consumer5-2008oct05,0,5047416.story?page=1

>>> http://consumerist.com/5059417/5-scams-to-watch-out-for-during-a-recession

>> Doesn't even list the number 1 scam: "I'm from the government and
>> I'm here to help you".

> Back in the real world, social security has had an
> unprecedented effect in reducing poverty of the elderly.

Indeed.

> And of the dozens of countries which outrank the US with
> lower rates of infant mortality, all have socialized health care.

Thats mostly due to a different effect, the very different demographics in the US.

You dont get any significant difference in the infant mortality of say the kids of white engineers for example.

You do however get a hell of a different result with the bankruptcy rates of those with
serious medical problems, particularly those which arent covered by medicare and medicaid.

sarge137

Oct 17, 2008, 5:34:49 PM10/17/08
On Oct 14, 2:11 pm, ultim...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-consumer5-2008oct05,0,5047416.s...

> of if that link does not work:
>
> http://consumerist.com/5059417/5-scams-to-watch-out-for-during-a-rece...

These scams have been around for decades in one form or another. They
don't target the desperate during bad economic times, but the stupid
and lazy who will fall for them in good times and bad.