Replying to trolls only gets you blocked too

Melissa

Aug 21, 2007, 11:33:24 AM8/21/07
Those of you who can't resist replying to the plethora of trolls are only
getting yourselves blocked as well. It's too bad, some of you might have
things to post that I and others might appreciate.

Melissa

Al Bundy

Aug 22, 2007, 6:11:02 AM8/22/07

So lets all panic and keep out mouths shut? If some folks are not
capable of filtering their own input media properly, too bad if they
miss things.

Melissa

Aug 22, 2007, 10:23:02 AM8/22/07

"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

I can easily just delete posts without blocking people. The point is, if no
one would respond to the trolls, they might stop. They're just looking for
attention, which we shouldn't give them by responding. They aren't looking
for dialogue, they're the newsnet equivalent of the shock jocks.

Melissa

Al Bundy

Aug 22, 2007, 10:00:27 AM8/22/07
On Aug 22, 10:23 am, "Melissa" <nos...@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> "Al Bundy" <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

That's generally true, but who can resist sometimes wanting to get his
or her story out? And sometimes the line between a troll and a part
time dope is not that clear. I find it easy enough to bypass what I
don't want and decide on a daily basis. Some groups have been all but
ruined by Chinese spammers and the M5 posters. It's like weathering a
passing storm until they relent and we can go back to normal.

BeaF...@msn.com

Aug 22, 2007, 8:36:09 PM8/22/07
> passing storm until they relent and we can go back to normal.- Hide quoted text -

>That's generally true<

Not in your wildest dreams.

>but<

You don't know what you're talking about.

>who can resist sometimes<

not even possible

>wanting to get his or her story out?<

Mindless stuff comrade

Thank you very much

Rod Speed Jr.

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 23, 2007, 2:06:34 AM8/23/07
In article <46caf803$0$24143$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
nos...@neo.rr.com says...

> Those of you who can't resist replying to the plethora of trolls are only
> getting yourselves blocked as well. It's too bad, some of you might have
> things to post that I and others might appreciate.

There are newsreaders, such as Gravity, which allow filtering on
message body content.

So you can set a filter on, for example, "Slow-Boy Rod wrote:" to
dump the replies to him.

Also, some trolls like to crosspost to many unrelated groups.
Including groups that are frequent targets of this behaviour.
The replies often include the crossposting.

So you might take the extra technical effort to use NewsProxy
(nFilter) to set more refined rules.

Check 'em out. They are free:

http://www.ministryofprivacy.com/net/software.html

Don Klipstein

Aug 27, 2007, 1:25:34 AM8/27/07
In message-ID MPG.2136c38fe...@nntp.aioe.org,
Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
>In article <46caf803$0$24143$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
>nos...@neo.rr.com says...
>> Those of you who can't resist replying to the plethora of trolls are only
>> getting yourselves blocked as well. It's too bad, some of you might have
>> things to post that I and others might appreciate.
>
>There are newsreaders, such as Gravity, which allow filtering on
>message body content.

Sounds good to me! I might start using that!

On assumption that this is true, I propose a body-content-based
(or including) killfile that killfiles on following body content terms:

(I suspect that such a killfile could zap a few postings other than by
Australia's most-infamous sub-troll, though I also suspect that such a
killfile mainly zaps other than that only a few trolls and whatever few
sub-trolls and rather-similar offenders)

Now for my proposed body-content-based killfile, so far after just a few
minutes: Killfile on basis of any of the following body content terms:

countrys
industrys
fantasys
fuckwit
puerile shit
spades with
push bike
salesfuckwit
fucktard

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

wlloow

Aug 27, 2007, 1:50:27 AM8/27/07
Some stupid clown that cannot manage anything
better than delivering pizzas on a bicycle
Don Klipstein <d...@manx.misty.com> wrote
just what you'd expect from a stupid clown that cannot
manage anything better than delivering pizzas on a bicycle

freeisbest

Aug 27, 2007, 2:38:07 PM8/27/07
On Aug 22, 10:00 am, Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 10:23 am, "Melissa" <nos...@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > "Al Bundy" <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

> > only

> > > So lets all panic and keep out mouths shut? If some folks are
not
> > > capable of filtering their own input media properly, too bad if
they
> > > miss things.
>
> > I can easily just delete posts without blocking people. The point
is,
> > no one would respond to the trolls, they might stop. They're just looking
> > for attention, which we shouldn't give them by responding. They aren't
> > looking for dialogue, they're the newsnet equivalent of the shock
jocks.
> > Melissa
>
> That's generally true, but who can resist sometimes wanting to get
his
> or her story out? And sometimes the line between a troll and a
part
> time dope is not that clear. I find it easy enough to bypass what I
> don't want and decide on a daily basis. Some groups have been all
but
> ruined by Chinese spammers and the M5 posters. It's like
weathering
> a passing storm until they relent and we can go back to normal.

You're both right, and thanks, Al, for sticking up for us part
time dopes. :)