Happy Saint Nick's Day, everyone! (Dec. 6)

OhioGuy

Dec 6, 2007, 9:19:15 PM12/6/07
I had so many things going on today that I almost forgot to get on here
and wish everyone a Happy St. Nick's Day! For those who don't know, St.
Nicholas was a historic character who helped people in need. Santa Claus
was loosely based on him. My wife and I don't revere him or anything, we
just think of him as a nice guy who helped people.

My kids just got finished unwrapping their presents, candy and everything,
so now we have the commercial aspects of the season over with.

This is the way many cultures used to do it, (including the United States)
until commercial interests realized they could sell more if the "shopping
season" was extended from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Now it seems to
overshadow the entire original meaning of Christmas. I got sick of it, did
some research, and we decided to go back to having December 6 for gift
giving, just as our ancestors probably did. This way, St. Nick (Santa) has
his day on December 6, and Jesus has his 2 and a half weeks later, on the
25th.

My wife says that St. Nicholas came to her work place today, dressed in
traditional garb. Turns out that one of her co-workers is from Eastern
Europe, where they still exchange gifts on St. Nick's Day. One of her
friends dressed up and came in to visit, and evidently it made her day.

OhioGuy

Dec 6, 2007, 9:20:06 PM12/6/07