New Amish heaters ?

Chuck Ford

Jan 10, 2008, 10:33:59 AM1/10/08
Anyone tried them? Supposed to be very eficient..I think the amish
build and install the heater in a rollaround mantel...
I got a flyer in the mail recently and they sound great but are not
cheap...Thanks for feedback...

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jan 10, 2008, 11:05:34 AM1/10/08

"Chuck Ford" <chuck_f...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Anyone tried them? Supposed to be very eficient..I think the amish
> build and install the heater in a rollaround mantel...
> I got a flyer in the mail recently and they sound great but are not
> cheap...Thanks for feedback...

i got the same flyer, but i think it said that the amish build the mantel
and insert the premanufactured heater. they don't build the heater, just
the mantel.

Chuck Ford

Jan 10, 2008, 1:05:07 PM1/10/08
You are correct about that,sorry I did not get it right in my post...

Veteran

Jan 10, 2008, 2:55:13 PM1/10/08
In article <28145-478...@storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net>,
chuck_f...@webtv.net (Chuck Ford) wrote:

I saw the ad in the local newspaper .
They were claiming you got the heater "Free"
hint; you had to buy the mantel.
this trick makes me wonder about the other "claims"
all I know about heat sources is that only Radiant heat is efficient.
and these units look like convection.
and they aren't free! dishonest?

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
problems tend to look like nails.

Jeff

Jan 10, 2008, 3:17:47 PM1/10/08
Chuck Ford wrote:
> Anyone tried them? Supposed to be very eficient..I think the amish
> build and install the heater in a rollaround mantel...
> I got a flyer in the mail recently and they sound great but are not
> cheap...Thanks for feedback...

It's an electric convection heater. It has the same efficiency as an
other electric convection heater. Buy it for it's looks, as it will heat
the same as a $20 heater.

Jeff

Seerialmom

Jan 10, 2008, 3:31:25 PM1/10/08

The only thing "Amish" about them is the mantle. Supposedly you get
the heater free for buying the mantle, if you don't buy that you pay
something like $399 for the heater.

The mantle probably looks good but who knows how the heater works?

Gordon

Jan 10, 2008, 10:10:34 PM1/10/08
chuck_f...@webtv.net (Chuck Ford) wrote in news:28145-47863AE7-161
@storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net:

> Anyone tried them? Supposed to be very eficient..I think the amish
> build and install the heater in a rollaround mantel...
> I got a flyer in the mail recently and they sound great but are not
> cheap...Thanks for feedback...

I saw the ad in a local paper. I'm not sold. For one, the
"flames" looked exactly the same in every picture. Which
probably meant that they are nothing more than a standard
electric heater with a prety picture of a fire pasted to the
front, placed into a fancy wood box.

Chuck Ford

Jan 11, 2008, 7:16:41 AM1/11/08
Thanks for the input, I was hoping to hear from folks that has used
them...I'm skepticle of the advertisers comments...C

Siskuwihane

Jan 11, 2008, 7:53:50 AM1/11/08

What's to hear? Jeff told you all you need to know. ANY 1500 watt
electric heater
is going to put out around 5120 BTU's, doesn't matter if it's a $350
"Amish" heater or a 1500 watt hair dryer. The claim that these heaters
use less electricity than a coffee maker is only true in that a coffee
maker is using a large amount of electricity for about 90 seconds, so
if you only run an Amish Heat Surge for 90 seconds a day...

Any 1500 watt heater will cost around 10 to 12 cents an hour to
operate.