Frugal air travel tips

William Souden

Oct 1, 2007, 8:09:27 PM10/1/07
While waiting at the airport instead of paying for wireless net
access sit near the members lounge and you might get a signal,

Request a seat near the rear. Many people choose seats up front so
they can get off first. You have a better chance of getting a middle
seat empty or maybe all three if you are near the rear. Never take the
last row as those seats do not recline but as you take off check to see
if those seats are empty. If all three are vacant you can lie down and
sleep. Keep checking the airlines web site to see what seats are open.

If you have a long delay politely request access to the members
lounge. The most that can happen is a polite "no".

Pack your own food-sandwiches from home, stuff from the deli and only
but water at the airport. You eat better than your fellow passengers and
do it on your schedule. I can not recall the last time I took anything
beyond soda,coffee or juice on a plane.

If you are renting a car the off-airport places have better prices.
If you are not renting check options besides taxis. At Newark Airport NJ
Transit take you right to Penn Station in NYC.

PaPaPeng

Oct 2, 2007, 3:17:24 PM10/2/07
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:09:27 GMT, William Souden <sou...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> While waiting at the airport instead of paying for wireless net
>access sit near the members lounge and you might get a signal,

I do only holiday travel and the last thing I want is to be tied to a
computer. Its delicate and a theft bait. I don't need the
aggravation. I don't carry any road warrior stuff like a cellphone,
iPod or stuff like that. Its a holiday free from everything.

> Request a seat near the rear. Many people choose seats up front so
>they can get off first. You have a better chance of getting a middle
>seat empty or maybe all three if you are near the rear. Never take the
>last row as those seats do not recline but as you take off check to see
>if those seats are empty. If all three are vacant you can lie down and
>sleep. Keep checking the airlines web site to see what seats are open.

I always pick an aisle seat so that I can stretch my legs and one
elbow space doesn't have to be restricted by the next passenger. The
seat row by the emergency exit is even better as it has more leg room.
I also prefer the aisle seat on the right row of seats as I am more
comfortable leaning my head to the left when I sleep. I bring my own
pillow and its really wonderful to be able to sleep comfortably on
long flights or even on airport seats in between a long wait for the
connecting flight. Having a good thick book I always wanted to read
helps. I make a quick spin around the waiting area for newspapers
left behind and they're good for an hour or two reading the local
news and doing the crosswords.

> If you have a long delay politely request access to the members
>lounge. The most that can happen is a polite "no".
>
> Pack your own food-sandwiches from home, stuff from the deli and only
>but water at the airport. You eat better than your fellow passengers and
>do it on your schedule. I can not recall the last time I took anything
>beyond soda,coffee or juice on a plane.

I am lucky in having flexible mealtimes and can comfortably endure 36
hours without a meal. Whenever the refreshment cart comes around I
always ask for two servings of orange juice. This keeps me hydrated.
The sugar and orange pulp is enough to take care of any need to eat
food. Pop doesn't do it. I have food sensitivities and avoid the
usual airport cafeteria foods as much as possible. I avoid bringing
personal snacks as they only set the hunger juices flowing without
being able to satisfy it.

> If you are renting a car the off-airport places have better prices.
>If you are not renting check options besides taxis. At Newark Airport NJ
>Transit take you right to Penn Station in NYC.

I try to use the airport to downtown bus service first and come back
the same way. Taxi from downtown to the hotel is a lot cheaper. I
travel light with no more luggage than I can carry comfortably with
one or both hands. If I buy stuff on my travels I buy a cheap gym bag
to carry them in.

Don K

Oct 2, 2007, 6:19:41 PM10/2/07
"PaPaPeng" <PaPa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I always pick an aisle seat so that I can stretch my legs and one
> elbow space doesn't have to be restricted by the next passenger. The
> seat row by the emergency exit is even better as it has more leg room.
> I also prefer the aisle seat on the right row of seats as I am more
> comfortable leaning my head to the left when I sleep. I bring my own
> pillow and its really wonderful to be able to sleep comfortably on
> long flights or even on airport seats in between a long wait for the
> connecting flight. Having a good thick book I always wanted to read
> helps. I make a quick spin around the waiting area for newspapers
> left behind and they're good for an hour or two reading the local
> news and doing the crosswords.

On long flights I like to take along an MP3 player. Mine has an
FM tuner built-in and sometimes I'll listen to the various stations
you can tune in at 20-30K feet. Also noise-canceling headphones
are nice to get rid of the constant engine drone, whether or not you're
actually listening to anything.

One other thing, when I'm not reading, I find I'm a lot more comfortable
if I wear sunglasses to eliminate all the UV glare at high altitude. Apparently
cataracts are an occupational hazard for pilots.

Don

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2007, 6:44:22 PM10/2/07

That cant get past the windows.

> Apparently cataracts are an occupational hazard for pilots.

Not due to UV getting past the windows it aint.

George Grapman

Oct 2, 2007, 7:04:56 PM10/2/07
Regarding the comments on Newark Airport. The NY Transit/Amtrak
connection is also helpful if your final destination is in Jersey.On my
last trip the cab fare would have been $61 plus round trip toll (about
$5)plus tip. NJ Transit was under $10.
Also Newark airport is much closer to midtown Manhattan than JFK, The
one drawback is if to take a cab between NJ and NY you have to pay
double the meter to cover the fact cabs from one state can not pick up
fares in another state Or, in most cases, from another city in the same
state..
If you do take a cab Newark has a smart system. You tell the
dispatcher your destination and they print out a two part for,. The flat
rate fare is in big numbers as are the words "plus round trip tolls".
You get one copy, the driver the other hence no disputes.

Gregory Morrow

Oct 3, 2007, 1:11:43 AM10/3/07

Don K wrote:

> On long flights I like to take along an MP3 player. Mine has an
> FM tuner built-in and sometimes I'll listen to the various stations
> you can tune in at 20-30K feet.

It's *strictly* against FAA regulations for passengers to operate radio
receivers in - flight, it could potentially interfere with the navigational
electronics...

--
Best
Greg

Anthony Matonak

Oct 3, 2007, 2:58:11 AM10/3/07

I just had to look this one up myself.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/janqtr/14cfr91.21.htm

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person
may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft
allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the
following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:
(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating
certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
(1) Portable voice recorders;
(2) Hearing aids;
(3) Heart pacemakers;
(4) Electric shavers; or
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the
aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation
or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

Chances are that an MP3 player that contains an FM radio also has
a voice recorder. The way I read it, this means that such an MP3 Player
falls under (b)(1) and maybe (b)(5) and the ban does not apply.

Radio transmitters, especially cell phones, are another thing entirely
and it looks like the FCC is the one that bans the use of cell phones
in flight. Not because it'll mess with the airplane but because they
think it'll mess with the cell phone system itself.

Anthony

345ddd

Oct 3, 2007, 6:40:32 AM10/3/07

Mindlessly silly, that bans electronic watches and cameras.

> Chances are that an MP3 player that contains an FM radio also has
> a voice recorder. The way I read it, this means that such an MP3
> Player falls under (b)(1) and maybe (b)(5) and the ban does not apply.

Wrong, as always.

> Radio transmitters, especially cell phones, are another thing entirely and it looks like the FCC is the one that bans
> the use of cell phones in flight.

Not a fucking clue, as always.

> Not because it'll mess with the airplane but because they think it'll mess with the cell phone system itself.

Not a fucking clue, as always.

Don K

Oct 3, 2007, 7:38:48 AM10/3/07
"Anthony Matonak" <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Gregory Morrow wrote:

> (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person
> may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft
> allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the
> following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:
> (1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating
> certificate or an operating certificate; or
> (2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
>
> (b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
> (1) Portable voice recorders;
> (2) Hearing aids;
> (3) Heart pacemakers;
> (4) Electric shavers; or
> (5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the
> aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation
> or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
>
> Chances are that an MP3 player that contains an FM radio also has
> a voice recorder. The way I read it, this means that such an MP3 Player
> falls under (b)(1) and maybe (b)(5) and the ban does not apply.

I'd say (b)(5) applies.
During the flight, the stewardess will announce something scripted
to the effect that it's now ok to turn on "those electronic devices".
I take that as official permission.

There's a separate announcement that using cell phones is not permitted
once the plane is airborne.

Don

rick++

Oct 3, 2007, 10:01:46 AM10/3/07
I fly about once a month and its been years since Ive seen an empty
seat on a plane.

William Souden

Oct 3, 2007, 10:23:04 AM10/3/07
Why the new name,welfare boy? No need to even look at the headers as
we know who it is.

William Souden

Oct 3, 2007, 10:27:27 AM10/3/07
rick++ wrote:
> I fly about once a month and its been years since Ive seen an empty
> seat on a plane.

The last 3 round trips I made all had at least the middle seat empty
and one had all three. Fly from CA to NY in the morning or at the end of
the work day and the plane will be crowded. Fly late at night and you
have a better chance.
Only my last flight from NY it was a holiday afternoon. The from of
the coach section was full but most of the final few rows had empty
seats in the middle and the one set of seats in the last row was empty.
People grab those front seats so they can get off sooner and wait for
their luggage.

PaPaPeng

Oct 3, 2007, 3:54:45 PM10/3/07
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:27:27 GMT, William Souden <sou...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> People grab those front seats so they can get off sooner and wait for
>their luggage.

I travel light enough that I usually have only carry on luggage. This
way I don't have to wait for any checked in luggage from the carousel.
I get through immigration quickly and way ahead of the crowd. My
travels are mainly across countries. I carry minimum clothing as
anything I need can be bought at the local stores including new (ie
clean) underwear and socks as needed and locally printed T-shirts as
souvenirs. My dirty laundry is washed when I bathe. Travelling
lightly allows me lots of flexibility to buy knickknacks without
becoming overloaded. Its very rare that I have to buy a cheap gym bag
to hold the extra stuff. A cloth gym bag has strong comfortable
carrying handles and can be quickly unzipped for a customs or security
check. Even then I can still easily carry both my original and the
gym bags without the need for a cart. Remember me saying I bring my
own pillow? Putiing that under the armpit of the arm that carries the
heavier bag provides pretty good comfort to that arm too. You can
even fold the pillow to make the arm stretch further out to
accommodate a bulky bag.

My travel garb enables me to clear customs and security checks easily.
T- shirt, windbreaker, short pants weather permitting, socks and
strapped sandals. All my keys, loose change and pocket stuff is in a
plastic bag in my left pocket. I pull this out , no need to dig
around the pocket, to place on the tray for the X-ray scanner. From
my right pocket is my wallet. This arrangement allows me to make a
habit of a quick pat on both my hip pockets whenever I sit down or
rise up. I know instantly if my wallet or keys are still there. If
I lose anything else I don't care. The only other metal is my belt
buckle and removing my belt to put on the scanner tray is a well
rehearsed practice. Strap sandals are great for taking off when
seated for that long flight.

Message has been deleted

George Grapman

Oct 13, 2007, 12:41:21 PM10/13/07
A. Nonymoose wrote:
> No it's not. I just got back from a week long vacation, which (to save
> money) had 3 separate flights on each end of the trip. On all 6 flights,
> they specifically told us to turn off MP3 players, etc turning take off and
> landing, but once in the air, they allowed everything except cell phones,
> laptops (IF you couldn't turn off the wireless feature) and pagers.
>
> And yes, I did use my FM radio, but didn't hear anything worth listening
> too.

http://ntl.bts.gov/DOCS/91-21_1.html

1.

4. BACKGROUND. FAR Section 91.21 (formerly 91.19) was initially
established in May 1961 to prohibit the operation of portable
frequency-modulated radio receivers aboard U.S. air carrier
aircraft and U.S.-registered aircraft when the very high
frequency omnidirectional range was being used for navigation
purposes. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) subsequently
determined that other portable electronic devices could be
potentially hazardous to aircraft communication and navigation
equipment if operated aboard aircraft. Amendment 91-35 amended
the scope of former FAR Section 91.19 to prohibit the use of
additional portable electronic devices aboard certain U.S. civil
aircraft. Earlier studies conducted by RTCA, Inc. (RTCA),
Special Committee 156, Document No. RTCA/DO-199, Volumes 1 and 2,
entitled "Potential Interference To Aircraft Electronic Equipment
From Devices Carried Aboard," have contributed greatly to an
understanding of the operational effects of portable electronic
devices aboard aircraft. (See paragraph 7b for obtaining
copies.)

Don K

Oct 13, 2007, 12:56:54 PM10/13/07
"George Grapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

> A. Nonymoose wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 00:11:43 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
>> <TheKillingOf...@mercycroft.net> wrote:

>>> It's *strictly* against FAA regulations for passengers to operate radio
>>> receivers in - flight, it could potentially interfere with the navigational
>>> electronics...
>>
>> No it's not. I just got back from a week long vacation, which (to save
>> money) had 3 separate flights on each end of the trip. On all 6 flights,
>> they specifically told us to turn off MP3 players, etc turning take off and
>> landing, but once in the air, they allowed everything except cell phones,
>> laptops (IF you couldn't turn off the wireless feature) and pagers.
>>
>> And yes, I did use my FM radio, but didn't hear anything worth listening
>> too.
>
> http://ntl.bts.gov/DOCS/91-21_1.html
>
> 4. BACKGROUND. FAR Section 91.21 (formerly 91.19) was initially
> established in May 1961 to prohibit the operation of portable
> frequency-modulated radio receivers aboard U.S. air carrier
> aircraft and U.S.-registered aircraft when the very high
> frequency omnidirectional range was being used for navigation
> purposes. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) subsequently
> determined that other portable electronic devices could be
> potentially hazardous to aircraft communication and navigation
> equipment if operated aboard aircraft. Amendment 91-35 amended
> the scope of former FAR Section 91.19 to prohibit the use of
> additional portable electronic devices aboard certain U.S. civil
> aircraft. Earlier studies conducted by RTCA, Inc. (RTCA),
> Special Committee 156, Document No. RTCA/DO-199, Volumes 1 and 2,
> entitled "Potential Interference To Aircraft Electronic Equipment
> From Devices Carried Aboard," have contributed greatly to an
> understanding of the operational effects of portable electronic
> devices aboard aircraft. (See paragraph 7b for obtaining
> copies.)

Translation: when the stewardess says it's ok, you can turn on your
mp3 with the FM tuner.

Don

Gary Heston

Oct 13, 2007, 3:25:43 PM10/13/07
In article <ttednRX3s8tYZY3a...@comcast.com>,

Don K <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:
>"George Grapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message
>> A. Nonymoose wrote:

>>> No it's not. [ ... ]

>> http://ntl.bts.gov/DOCS/91-21_1.html
>>
>> 4. BACKGROUND. FAR Section 91.21 (formerly 91.19) was initially
>> established in May 1961 to prohibit the operation of portable
>> frequency-modulated radio receivers aboard U.S. air carrier

>> aircraft and U.S.-registered aircraft [ ... ]

>Translation: when the stewardess says it's ok, you can turn on your
>mp3 with the FM tuner.

What do they have to say about crystal radios? They don't have an
"off" switch.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Don K

Oct 13, 2007, 3:42:15 PM10/13/07
"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

>>Translation: when the stewardess says it's ok, you can turn on your
>>mp3 with the FM tuner.
>
> What do they have to say about crystal radios? They don't have an
> "off" switch.

Nothing.
They don't address passive electronic devices.

The Real Bev

Oct 30, 2007, 9:14:26 PM10/30/07
rick++ wrote:

> I fly about once a month and its been years since Ive seen an empty
> seat on a plane.

Last previous time I flew was 1994. This time I selected seat 22F on both
legs of my return flight and 22E was empty on both. On the first leg of my
outbound flight there were 3 empty seats. Everybody hates Houston, I guess.

--
Cheers,
Bev