buy.com

mhry...@adelphia.net

Feb 28, 2008, 7:07:05 PM2/28/08
does anyone have experience puchasing a "remanufactureed",
"refurbished" etc. TV from buy.com?
They come with a warranty but are only returnable to the manufacturer,
and ussually state good only for repair or exchange.

Al Bundy

Feb 28, 2008, 7:38:27 PM2/28/08

I can't speak about buy.com in particular. My experience personally
with refurbished products is that they have been excellent. Many
products are returned because they were unwanted gifts or the person
couldn't read the directions. A refurb is often a product that has
really been tested so it works. Your chances of infant mortality on a
brand new product may actually be greater.
Having said all of the above, I expect a big reduction for taking the
risk on a reman product. I better see 30-50% off the original price or
I'm not biting. That's just my rule.

Shawn Hirn

Feb 28, 2008, 8:18:49 PM2/28/08
In article
<2784c007-d25b-4ad6...@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
mhry...@adelphia.net wrote:

One day while enduring a long hold period on the phone, I looked up on
my computer screen and saw my daily buy.com email and the special of the
day was a refurbished GPS for $188 including shipping. I had been
wanting a GPS for a while, so while I was on hold, I ordered it.

The unit arrived at my office the next morning! That was back in August
and it works great. There's a small scratch in the back of the plastic
case, otherwise, it looked brand new when I first inspected it. I have
also purchased several other items from buy.com without a problem,
although that GPS is the only refurbished item I purchased from them.

Logan Shaw

Feb 29, 2008, 2:00:06 AM2/29/08

I bought a refurbished computer once from Dell. I had it for a while
and eventually it started crashing about 1 in 10 times that I changed
the video resolution. I tried everything I could think of (reseating
the video card, updating drivers, etc.), and nothing worked. I was
furious, because I was sure that although they *tried* to test it
(and I believed they did *try* to test it), I had finally found the
defect that must've caused the first owner to return it, a defect
which must obviously have been subtle enough to not be caught during
the testing. I had, I thought, really wasted my money trying to save
a buck.

Then another few months later, an updated driver came out for my
video card. It had a work-around for a design flaw inherent in that
model of video card. It turns out that about 1 in 10 times when you
changed the video mode[1], it would lock up the PCI bus, and thus the
whole computer. So it wasn't the refurbishing that was the problem
after all, and a brand new machine would've had exactly the same fault.

The point is, I've never had a problem with a refurbished product.

- Logan

[1] Actually, it was when the operating system probed the card to
find out how much memory it had installed, and it just so
happened that my operating system did this when you set the
video mode to something different.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted