Digital TV Information

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Apr 12, 2008, 6:59:55 PM4/12/08
OK, I've looked up the industry website and understand about the
coupon. That's not my problem.

I have a 4 story brownstone in Brooklyn NY. On the roof there's a
large antenna. The signal immediately converts to a coax cable which I
thought was RG59 but they all seem to talk about an RG6 or RG11.
Whatever! The cable goes through the roof to the attic crawl space
where it goes into a Blondin (some name like that) amplifier (powered
off 110V). Out of the amplifier comes a coax (all is the same as
before) which splits into two-- one for the back of the house and one
for the front. All coax is buried deep in the walls, under the floor
etc. They drop a floor where they feed two wall outlets in the front
and two in the back (splitters used and all unused outlets are
terminated with the do-hickey sold for the purpose by Radio Shack).
Then to the next floor. More splitting front and back and so on until
we finally reach the cellar where we split about six ways and feed a
number of outlets in back and front (TV's, VCR's, DVD recorders, etc)
on the floor above. Note that I actually only watch TV in two places
on floor 1; the rest of the twenty or so outlets are in case I get an
overwhelming urge (say) to watch a portable TV while doing the laundry
on floor 4.

I do not want to replace this!

Can I simply attach the converter box to the nearest outlet and expect
it to function as before? Do I need to replace the amplifier? Do I
need to replace the coax? I will replace the antenna because the old
one's at the end of its useful life (missing arms, etc) but in reading
about the antennas as usual it's information overload! I'm only 5
miles from the Empire State so I should just buy a cheapest smallest
antenna, right? Don't think so. I can't quite see the Empire State (I
used to be able to see the WTC and have better reception) and there's
all those large buildings around. OTOH will the longest super-duperest
antenna (read: most expensive) give me a better picture?

Since this is in aid of the TV manufacturers of America they should
send out a monkey (Rod Speed talk) to use all sorts of expensive
measuring equipment to tell me exactly (for free!). Since they won't I
guess I'll have to rely on someone else. Any suggestions?

larry

Apr 12, 2008, 9:11:59 PM4/12/08
can you receive vhf channels 2-13 and uhf channels 14-50
connected to this antenna system? are they the same channel,
like tv channel selector set to 8, does the tv station
identify as channel 8? if so, disconnect antenna cable at
tv, connect cable to digital converter box. use supplied
jumper cable to connect converter to tv antenna connector
(where first cable you disconnected was connected to tv)

turn converter and tv on, does a search find digital
stations? do you have enough signal strength?

should work as long as there are no channel conversions,
reason for is ch 8 really ch 8 test.

and any amplifiers or splitters in the line are vhf/uhf
compatible, reason for vhf/uhf channel test above. older
systems wouldn't pass uhf, but amps and splitters can be
replaced with those that do.

borrow a digital converter box if you don't have one.

-- larry / dallas

Rod Speed

Apr 13, 2008, 12:37:56 AM4/13/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote

> OK, I've looked up the industry website and understand
> about the coupon. That's not my problem.

> I have a 4 story brownstone in Brooklyn NY. On the roof there's a
> large antenna. The signal immediately converts to a coax cable which I
> thought was RG59 but they all seem to talk about an RG6 or RG11.
> Whatever! The cable goes through the roof to the attic crawl space
> where it goes into a Blondin (some name like that) amplifier (powered
> off 110V). Out of the amplifier comes a coax (all is the same as
> before) which splits into two-- one for the back of the house and one
> for the front. All coax is buried deep in the walls, under the floor
> etc. They drop a floor where they feed two wall outlets in the front
> and two in the back (splitters used and all unused outlets are
> terminated with the do-hickey sold for the purpose by Radio Shack).
> Then to the next floor. More splitting front and back and so on until
> we finally reach the cellar where we split about six ways and feed a
> number of outlets in back and front (TV's, VCR's, DVD recorders, etc)
> on the floor above. Note that I actually only watch TV in two places
> on floor 1; the rest of the twenty or so outlets are in case I get an
> overwhelming urge (say) to watch a portable TV while doing the laundry
> on floor 4.

> I do not want to replace this!

You're unlikely to need to replace much of it and may not need to replace any of it.

> Can I simply attach the converter box to the
> nearest outlet and expect it to function as before?

Varys with the detail of what you have now, that you
cant specify because you dont know enough about it.

> Do I need to replace the amplifier?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on whether it handles uhf etc.

> Do I need to replace the coax?

Very unlikely.

> I will replace the antenna because the old one's
> at the end of its useful life (missing arms, etc)

You may well find that it doesnt matter. Digital TV is a lot more
tolerant of a poor signal than analog and it may well work fine.

> but in reading about the antennas as usual it's information overload!

Yeah, its quite complicated.

The best thing to do is to just try a converter and see how well
it works and the result you get will tell you what needs to be
fixed, like the lack of particular digital TV channels should tell
you that the current system isnt letting the uhf channels thru etc.

You may even find that while you dont get an adequate result
with a basic internal antenna with analog, its fine with digital,
if for example the current system doesnt handle uhf channels.

> I'm only 5 miles from the Empire State so I should
> just buy a cheapest smallest antenna, right?

No point in changing it at all until you find that it doesnt work well enough.

> Don't think so. I can't quite see the Empire State (I used to be able to see the
> WTC and have better reception) and there's all those large buildings around.

Thats one dramatic difference between analog and digital.
Ghosting can be a real problem with analog and irrelevant to digital.

> OTOH will the longest super-duperest antenna
> (read: most expensive) give me a better picture?

Nope, you'll either get a perfect picture or you wont with digital and
all you need is a good enough antenna for a perfect picture. A better
antenna than that is a complete waste of money with digital TV.

You may even find that an internal antenna is fine with digital TV.

> Since this is in aid of the TV manufacturers of America they
> should send out a monkey (Rod Speed talk) to use all sorts
> of expensive measuring equipment to tell me exactly (for free!).

Then there's the real world...

> Since they won't I guess I'll have to rely on someone else. Any suggestions?

Try a converter on the current system and move on from there depending on the result you get with that.

Jeff

Apr 13, 2008, 11:50:55 AM4/13/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:
> OK, I've looked up the industry website and understand about the
> coupon. That's not my problem.
>
> I have a 4 story brownstone in Brooklyn NY. On the roof there's a
> large antenna. The signal immediately converts to a coax cable which I
> thought was RG59 but they all seem to talk about an RG6 or RG11.

RG6 and particularly RG11 have lower loss. Important for long runs

> Whatever! The cable goes through the roof to the attic crawl space
> where it goes into a Blondin (some name like that) amplifier (powered
> off 110V). Out of the amplifier comes a coax (all is the same as
> before) which splits into two-- one for the back of the house and one
> for the front. All coax is buried deep in the walls, under the floor
> etc. They drop a floor where they feed two wall outlets in the front
> and two in the back (splitters used and all unused outlets are
> terminated with the do-hickey sold for the purpose by Radio Shack).
> Then to the next floor. More splitting front and back and so on until
> we finally reach the cellar where we split about six ways and feed a
> number of outlets in back and front (TV's, VCR's, DVD recorders, etc)
> on the floor above. Note that I actually only watch TV in two places
> on floor 1; the rest of the twenty or so outlets are in case I get an
> overwhelming urge (say) to watch a portable TV while doing the laundry
> on floor 4.
>
> I do not want to replace this!
>
> Can I simply attach the converter box to the nearest outlet and expect
> it to function as before?

Probably.

http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

has recommendations based on actual location and environment.

Most DTV signals are in the UHF range.

Do I need to replace the amplifier? Do I
> need to replace the coax?

It's all or nothing with DTV. It's either perfect or no picture (you
may still get atmospheric interruptions). Check it at your outlet, if it
isn't good then get as close to the antenna as you can and check it
there to make sure you have reception and that the problem isn't with
your antenna. Remember these are mostly UHF signals and not on the same
channels as your analog stations.

If you have reception at the antenna but not inside then you will
need to boost the signal. That could be by a more sensitive receiver, a
better amp, better cable or less splitters!

I suspect that if you have a decent converter that you won't have
much trouble.

I will replace the antenna because the old
> one's at the end of its useful life (missing arms, etc) but in reading
> about the antennas as usual it's information overload! I'm only 5
> miles from the Empire State so I should just buy a cheapest smallest
> antenna, right? Don't think so. I can't quite see the Empire State (I
> used to be able to see the WTC and have better reception) and there's
> all those large buildings around. OTOH will the longest super-duperest
> antenna (read: most expensive) give me a better picture?

Just check antennaweb.org. A $30 bowtie type UHF antenna may be all
you need.

Jeff