Cheapest phone service?

SuperVHS

Sep 7, 2007, 5:13:41 PM9/7/07
My roommate decided he doesn't want to pay for a land phone line to our
place (it's fair, he almost always uses a cell) but I need one for the
internet.
What's the cheapest phone service? Is there anything in the $9-$12 range
for reliable bare-bones not-per-hour service?
I live in the north texas/DFW area.

Thanks!

p.s. I know I'm cross-posting, but they're all relevant newsgroups.
There are people it would reach who don't read more than one.

TKM

Sep 7, 2007, 8:41:02 PM9/7/07

"SuperVHS" <Not...@NotThere.com> wrote in message

Ask about DSL only service from your telephone provider.

TKM

Beachcomber

Sep 7, 2007, 9:10:09 PM9/7/07

Not every Phone Company will offer DSL-only service. DSL is a service
designed to piggyback on POTS (Plain old Telephone Service). If phone
companies started doing this on a regular basis, people would start
canceling their hardwire phone service in droves and the revenue would
tank.

The regular phone service pays for the continuing costs associated
with keeping a hardwire copper line connected to your telephone
central office. DSL is just an add-on to an existing line.

Among your options...

Verizon FIOS (fibre) or equivalent - Fiber connections are only
available in small, usually generally upscale areas of the US. It's
worthwhile to lobby for it, but it can take years to install.

Comcast or other cable co. cable modem - Usually fairly cheap, often
comes bundled with other services - Unknown bandwidth limits - You
share a network with your neighbors.

Hughes Net - 2 way internet from a satellite. - There will be
bandwidth limits and the service has a short response delay due to the
far away satellites. Can be expensive.

Dial UP - local ISP

Wi-Fi Max - Wireless service available in some rural and urban areas.
Free in some places.

In general, a wired connection is going to be better, and more secure
than anything wireless.

scrapq...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2007, 10:12:08 PM9/7/07
On Sep 7, 5:13 pm, SuperVHS <NotH...@NotThere.com> wrote:
> What's the cheapest phone service? Is there anything in the $9-$12 range
> for reliable bare-bones not-per-hour service?

Most likely there is something in, or close to that price range. The
phone companies usually offer (perhaps they are required to, by law?)
a minimal service to provide access to phone service for low-income
customers, but you can get this less expensive plan just by asking for
it...the catch of course is that most people don't know to ask for
it. Last I know, (at least in my area) this sort of plan included a
handful of calls in the fee, and any calls above and beyond that
number were charged either per minute or per call. I think this sort
of plan is called "lifeline service" or something

I don't know if they will allow DSL with this sort of plan or not.

Call the local phone company and ask.

Shawn Hirn

Sep 7, 2007, 10:52:32 PM9/7/07
In article <5ne3e3d14tar4phj4...@4ax.com>,
SuperVHS <Not...@NotThere.com> wrote:

Without knowing where in the world you live, its hard to say. Try
googling or asking friends, neighbors, family and co-workers who live in
your area for a recommendation.

Abe

Sep 7, 2007, 11:37:34 PM9/7/07
> > I live in the north texas/DFW area.
>
> Without knowing where in the world you live, its hard to say. Try
> googling or asking friends, neighbors, family and co-workers who live in
> your area for a recommendation.

Duh...

Gordon

Sep 8, 2007, 12:32:25 AM9/8/07
Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in news:srhi-E07978.22523207092007
@newsgroups.comcast.net:

>> I live in the north texas/DFW area.

^^^^^^^^^ Hello!! Look Here ^^^^^^^^^^^

Gordon

Sep 8, 2007, 12:41:31 AM9/8/07
SuperVHS <Not...@NotThere.com> wrote in

How are you accessing the internet right now?? Dial-up? or DSL.

What is your price point for phone service and internet??

Do you need the phone service to make phone calls??

There are many options depending on your answers to these questions.

What about cable internet with VOIP? Naked DSL with VOIP?

Cell phone with an unlimited tethered data plan? (AT&T or Sprint).
Borrow a wi-fi connection from a neighbor, with his permission of course?

<RJ>

Sep 8, 2007, 10:31:57 AM9/8/07

>In article <5ne3e3d14tar4phj4...@4ax.com>,
> SuperVHS <Not...@NotThere.com> wrote:
>
>> My roommate decided he doesn't want to pay for a land phone line to our
>> place (it's fair, he almost always uses a cell) but I need one for the
>> internet.
>> What's the cheapest phone service? Is there anything in the $9-$12 range
>> for reliable bare-bones not-per-hour service?
>> I live in the north texas/DFW area.

SURE !
My dial-up service from QWEST is less than $10 a month.

Unfortunately, after adding various taxes, fees, and charges,
the final bill is more like $25

<rj>

bat

Sep 10, 2007, 1:12:01 AM9/10/07
S> My roommate decided he doesn't want to pay for a land phone line to our
S> place (it's fair, he almost always uses a cell) but I need one for the
S> internet.
S> What's the cheapest phone service? Is there anything in the $9-$12 range
S> for reliable bare-bones not-per-hour service?
S> I live in the north texas/DFW area.

http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

byron...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2007, 1:06:11 AM9/16/07

Try callcentric.com and order a per-minute landline. $2 a month + 2c/
min to USA UK EUROPE etc and 1.5 c/min to receive. Currently they have
a discount in selected cities where unlimited incoming number is
running like $3 month(?) down from $6. Do the math with per min
landline service before shelling out your $30 a month. That would buy
you 22 hours of OUTBOUND calling every month with a pay per min plan
with the $3/mon unlimited incoming. The catch is you need a)
broadband internet testyourvoip.com b) router and c) and adapter
known as an ATA. Try ebay for "unlocked PAP2" or "Handytone 286".
voipconnection.com sells them for >$40 free shipping to usa. If anyone
signs up feel free to us my agent code 2036 :)

Byron

SMS

Sep 16, 2007, 8:19:12 AM9/16/07
pep...@prodigy.net wrote:
> On Sep 7, 5:13 pm, SuperVHS <NotH...@NotThere.com> wrote:
>> What's the cheapest phone service? Is there anything in the $9-$12 range
>> for reliable bare-bones not-per-hour service?
>
> Most likely there is something in, or close to that price range. The
> phone companies usually offer (perhaps they are required to, by law?)
> a minimal service to provide access to phone service for low-income
> customers, but you can get this less expensive plan just by asking for
> it...the catch of course is that most people don't know to ask for
> it. Last I know, (at least in my area) this sort of plan included a
> handful of calls in the fee, and any calls above and beyond that
> number were charged either per minute or per call. I think this sort
> of plan is called "lifeline service" or something

In California they used to allow anyone to sign up, but now they have
income requirements for Lifeline.

There is still measured rate service where I am, which has a limited
number of local calls per month, but that would be sufficient for DSL.