TV on Your PC

Gordon

Apr 22, 2008, 11:00:52 PM4/22/08
At the risk of looking like a spammer...

This is actually a follow up to a post I made
last week. I have uncovered some services that
will stream network video and video on demand
to your PC.

I have not fully checked out these services, and
I have no relationship with any of them.

Check them out at your own risk.

www.direct-pctv.com
www.dishnetpc.com
www.priemiumtvforpc.com
www.watchtvonyourpc.net
www.johnQ.com

Most of these sell you a piece of software that will
allow you to access their servers and view videos.
After that there is no monthly fee.
JohnQ (as best i can tell) is free and works with
a browser plugin. It could work with Linux.
One of them (I forget which) works with Windows
Media Player.

I don't know how they make their money. Perhaps you
have to put up with commercials or there is a priemium
level of service that they try to sell you for a
monthly fee. I haven't tried any of them out yet so I
don't know what strings may be attached.

If they work as advertised, they could be a viable alternitive
to Cable TV and their high monthly fees.

Time to pull out my old laptop and see if it can handle
streaming video. If it can, I'll hook it to my TV (it
has a composite video out).

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this.
After all, Eliminating the monthly cable bill without
giving up TV is very frugal.

Rod Speed

Apr 23, 2008, 3:11:16 AM4/23/08

Changing to digital TV is even more frugal.

Papadillos

Apr 23, 2008, 5:39:54 AM4/23/08
It's best to Ask the Man Who Owns One beforehand. Google is Your Friend.
Thus, from a posting on DSLReports:

"I subscribed but when I checked it out it was nothing but a front for a
porn website. All the regular clips can be found on you tube, since that is
where it send you when you want to see a video. Then there is a link where
it states you must be 18+, there you can see adult videos. This website is
terrible, don't subscribe."
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19233415-JohnQ-TV-Any-good

(Actually, JohnQ's home page should have told you that...)

I don't know the economics of it, but porn and gambling come-ons seem to pay
off for the sites that front for them. Click-and-pay, like spam, seems to be
based on the fact that even if 1/10 (or for that matter 1/100) of 1% of
those accosted buy the service, the spammer or web sponsor makes a profit:
his costs are virtually zero when spread out over the 100 million
addressees. So every time you click on a link out of curiosity and even
without any intention of buying, and whether or not you do buy, the site
owner gets money.

Hence all those thousands of sites that have names based on misspellings of
other sites. (And I note that Amazon has bought up a lot of those, such as
Amazoon, Amaxon, etc. just to put an end to it as far as they are
concerned.)

On 23/04/2008 08:11, in article 6785omF...@mid.individual.net, "Rod

Gordon

Apr 23, 2008, 8:44:43 PM4/23/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in news:6785omF2nub9oU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:
>> At the risk of looking like a spammer...
>>
>> This is actually a follow up to a post I made
>> last week. I have uncovered some services that
>> will stream network video and video on demand
>> to your PC.
>>

>> Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this.
>> After all, Eliminating the monthly cable bill without
>> giving up TV is very frugal.
>
> Changing to digital TV is even more frugal.

I'm not following you Rod.
Are you refering to over the air digital TV??

Gordon

Apr 23, 2008, 8:50:03 PM4/23/08
OK, so this is quite intresting to know. It would appear
that the sites are perpritrationg a massive faud then?
After all they are advertising 9,000 channals of TV.

I guess I'll have to do some more due diligence.

Papadillos <papad...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Rod Speed

Apr 23, 2008, 9:25:26 PM4/23/08
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

>>> At the risk of looking like a spammer...

>>> This is actually a follow up to a post I made last week.
>>> I have uncovered some services that will stream
>>> network video and video on demand to your PC.

>>> Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this.
>>> After all, Eliminating the monthly cable bill without giving up TV is very frugal.

>> Changing to digital TV is even more frugal.

> I'm not following you Rod.
> Are you refering to over the air digital TV??

Yep. Costs you $10 if you do it the right way.
Get a coupon and then buy a cheap set top box from walmart etc.

George Grapman

Apr 23, 2008, 9:42:51 PM4/23/08
Gordon wrote:
> OK, so this is quite intresting to know. It would appear
> that the sites are perpritrationg a massive faud then?
> After all they are advertising 9,000 channals of TV.

Aside from being illegal it is impossible. Local broadcasts stations
are delivered to satellite subscribers using what is called a spot beam
meaning that the signal is only seen in a small geographical area so
even with the proper equipment a viewer in San Francisco can not get the
locals from Chicago.
If you go to the site offering this I am almost certain will see
either no contact information,a yahoo/gmail/hotmail type address or a
contact form to fill out that offers no information about the "company".
A few years ago someone was flooding the baseball groups with this
stuff. When I asked for contact details I was given a PO Box in Las
Vegas and told that the only acceptable methods of payment were a money
order sent to the box made out to an individual or Western Union.

Gordon

Apr 24, 2008, 7:56:22 PM4/24/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in

Programing selection is kinda' limited tho.

William Souden

Apr 24, 2008, 8:24:08 PM4/24/08

True, but some people just want 6 or 7 channels.

Gordon

Apr 24, 2008, 8:28:21 PM4/24/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in news:wARPj.9690$GE1.7999
@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

> Gordon wrote:
>> OK, so this is quite intresting to know. It would appear
>> that the sites are perpritrationg a massive faud then?
>> After all they are advertising 9,000 channals of TV.
>
> Aside from being illegal it is impossible. Local broadcasts stations
> are delivered to satellite subscribers using what is called a spot
beam
> meaning that the signal is only seen in a small geographical area so
> even with the proper equipment a viewer in San Francisco can not get
the
> locals from Chicago.
> If you go to the site offering this I am almost certain will see
> either no contact information,a yahoo/gmail/hotmail type address or a
> contact form to fill out that offers no information about the
"company".
> A few years ago someone was flooding the baseball groups with this
> stuff. When I asked for contact details I was given a PO Box in Las
> Vegas and told that the only acceptable methods of payment were a
money
> order sent to the box made out to an individual or Western Union.

OK, so I'm not sure what a spot beam has to do with TV delivered over
the internet, since the internet doesn't limit what sites you can
browse to. So I can check out the local broadcasts from my hometown
clear across the country from their web site.

What I think is going on is this: 1)Almost every TV broadcaster has
a web site where you can watch the current live broadcast stream and
watch missed shows via video on demand. 2) Someone has an internet
directory of these feeds (TV Guide?). Where do set top boxes for cable
and DBS get their programing guides from? 3)Someone wrote a piece
of software that agragates all this (bookmarks for feeds and program
guide). 4)Based on the screen shots that I see, the software is
being resold under diferent names. 5)There must be a revenue stream
other than selling the software, perhapst the software has been hacked
to, or had hooks to allow, advertising to be inserted. THere has to
be a "Money for Nothing" angle in there somewhere (besides the obvious
fraud and deciet).

So I actually found a few discussion forums on the web (DSL Reports.com
for one) where IPTV is discussed. From what I have been able to
figure out; 1)There is a free version of the software called
TVUnetworks.com. 2)Many people use an off the shelf media player and
build their own channal guide using available lists on the internet.
3)Dishnetpc.com seems to be the most popular for pay site. There are
cracked versions of their software floating around for download.
Could be usefull for evaluating the whole concept.

There are also Hulu, Joost, and TV-Yahoo.

George Grapman

Apr 24, 2008, 8:46:53 PM4/24/08

In order to get those locals they would have to have receivers in
each city and be able to upload each to their servers.

> What I think is going on is this: 1)Almost every TV broadcaster has
> a web site where you can watch the current live broadcast stream and
> watch missed shows via video on demand.

The networks do this for some shows. Some stations stream their local
news but not network or syndicated shows.

2) Someone has an internet
> directory of these feeds (TV Guide?).

The lat time I saw TV Guide their listings were pretty generic,

Where do set top boxes for cable
> and DBS get their programing guides from?

I forgot the name of the company but I think News Corp. owns it

3)Someone wrote a piece
> of software that agragates all this (bookmarks for feeds and program
> guide). 4)Based on the screen shots that I see, the software is
> being resold under diferent names. 5)There must be a revenue stream
> other than selling the software, perhapst the software has been hacked
> to, or had hooks to allow, advertising to be inserted. THere has to
> be a "Money for Nothing" angle in there somewhere (besides the obvious
> fraud and deciet).
>
> So I actually found a few discussion forums on the web (DSL Reports.com
> for one) where IPTV is discussed. From what I have been able to
> figure out; 1)There is a free version of the software called
> TVUnetworks.com. 2)Many people use an off the shelf media player and
> build their own channal guide using available lists on the internet.
> 3)Dishnetpc.com seems to be the most popular for pay site. There are
> cracked versions of their software floating around for download.
> Could be usefull for evaluating the whole concept.
>
> There are also Hulu, Joost, and TV-Yahoo.

None of them will offer what the poster promised.
By, the way, follow the suggestion of obtaining contact details. A
legitimate firm will provide a physical address and phone number, not a
PO Box and voice mail.

Gordon

Apr 24, 2008, 9:21:10 PM4/24/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in news:1S9Qj.345$506.99
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

> Gordon wrote:
>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in news:wARPj.9690
$GE1.7999
>> @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:
>>
>>> Gordon wrote:
>>
>> OK, so I'm not sure what a spot beam has to do with TV delivered over
>> the internet, since the internet doesn't limit what sites you can
>> browse to. So I can check out the local broadcasts from my hometown
>> clear across the country from their web site.
>
> In order to get those locals they would have to have receivers in
> each city and be able to upload each to their servers.

OK, I see. But I don't think any of these companies are running
servers. Think about the massive processing and bandwidth requirments
to process thousands of video channals. Even if the servers were
distributed across the globe, think of the management headaches
and costs of siteing all those servers. So if these guys are only
charging a one time fee and no ongoing monthly fee, there can't be
much physical plant involved.

>> What I think is going on is this: 1)Almost every TV broadcaster has
>> a web site where you can watch the current live broadcast stream and
>> watch missed shows via video on demand.
>
> The networks do this for some shows. Some stations stream their
local news but not network or syndicated shows.

KGW here in Portland pretty much streams everything.

>> There are also Hulu, Joost, and TV-Yahoo.
>
> None of them will offer what the poster promised.

[Confusion] None of _who_ will offer what _what poster_ promised??

> By, the way, follow the suggestion of obtaining contact details. A
> legitimate firm will provide a physical address and phone number, not
> a PO Box and voice mail.

Point well taken. But I am by nature rather cautious about entering
unfamilier territory. I could have plunked down some money several
days ago. But I am doing more research. I have come to the conclusion
that most of these operators are simply redistributing free stuff that
already exists on the internet. Somewhere there is the Holy Grail
and I aim to find it. And when I do, I'll be happy to share with
the group.

George Grapman

Apr 24, 2008, 9:55:04 PM4/24/08
Gordon wrote:
> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in news:1S9Qj.345$506.99
> @newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:
>
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in news:wARPj.9690
> $GE1.7999
>>> @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

>>> OK, so I'm not sure what a spot beam has to do with TV delivered over
>>> the internet, since the internet doesn't limit what sites you can
>>> browse to. So I can check out the local broadcasts from my hometown
>>> clear across the country from their web site.
>> In order to get those locals they would have to have receivers in
>> each city and be able to upload each to their servers.
>

> OK, I see. But I don't think any of these companies are running
> servers. Think about the massive processing and bandwidth requirments
> to process thousands of video channals. Even if the servers were
> distributed across the globe, think of the management headaches
> and costs of siteing all those servers. So if these guys are only
> charging a one time fee and no ongoing monthly fee, there can't be
> much physical plant involved.

Possibly no plant at all save for the computer that takes tour credit
card information and then forgets about you.

Rod Speed

Apr 24, 2008, 10:37:03 PM4/24/08

Nope.

> and I aim to find it.

You wont, because it doesnt exist.

> And when I do, I'll be happy to share with the group.

Wont be happening.

Rod Speed

Apr 24, 2008, 10:38:09 PM4/24/08

Irrelevant to what is frugal.

Gordon

Apr 25, 2008, 2:28:46 AM4/25/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in news:67cueiF2oi3urU1
@mid.individual.net:

>> Somewhere there is the Holy Grail
>
> Nope.
>
>> and I aim to find it.
>
> You wont, because it doesnt exist.
>
>> And when I do, I'll be happy to share with the group.
>
> Wont be happening.

Aren't we being pesimistic tonight.

Gordon

Apr 25, 2008, 2:47:59 AM4/25/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in news:YRaQj.400$To6.116
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

> Possibly no plant at all save for the computer that takes tour credit
> card information and then forgets about you.

Pretty much my point exactly.
As it turns out, most of the "watchtvonyourpc, dishnet-pc, etc
outfits arn't worth pursuing. Allthough I may download a cracked
version of DishnetPC just to check it out. I'm not hopeing for
much.

At this point there is Joost, Hulu and the major network sites
(abc.com, nbc.com, msnbc.com, fox, and cbs.), also nick, nickjr,
disney, and cartoon network. There are a couple of free downloads
available (so I've heard) that act as video web browsers and come
preloaded with bookmarks for the top available streams. Unlike
the afore mentioned operators who pretend to be providing the
service, these guys are at least being honest about where the
streams are comming from and what their software does.

Then there is tvunetworks.com. A lot of people seem to like it.
I didn't see much main stream content tho.

And saving the best for last...
There are two web sites that I have found.
www.global-itv.com
and wwwitv.com
Both of these provide on-line web based directories of available
streams that you can browse.

Rod Speed

Apr 25, 2008, 3:10:08 AM4/25/08
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Somewhere there is the Holy Grail

>> Nope.

>>> and I aim to find it.

>> You wont, because it doesnt exist.

>>> And when I do, I'll be happy to share with the group.

>> Wont be happening.

> Aren't we being pesimistic tonight.

Just realistic, stupid.

And how many of you are there between those ears, child ?

Gordon

Apr 25, 2008, 3:34:05 PM4/25/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in news:67deeiF2o88ioU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Nope.

>>> You wont, because it doesnt exist.

>>> Wont be happening.
>
>> Aren't we being pesimistic tonight.
>
> Just realistic, stupid.

Oh yeah, I forgot, You are pessimistic, any night.

> And how many of you are there between those ears, child ?

Are you the only one who hasn't heard about my Multiple
Persona Disorder?? We are all optomistic here.

Rod Speed

Apr 25, 2008, 4:46:10 PM4/25/08
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote just the puerile shit
you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.

William Souden

Apr 25, 2008, 4:59:48 PM4/25/08
Welfare boy, you were behaving so well recently until the meds ran out.

Gordon

Apr 25, 2008, 11:44:18 PM4/25/08
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in

> At the risk of looking like a spammer...
>
> This is actually a follow up to a post I made
> last week. I have uncovered some services that
> will stream network video and video on demand
> to your PC.
>
> I have not fully checked out these services, and
> I have no relationship with any of them.
>
> Check them out at your own risk.
>
> www.direct-pctv.com
> www.dishnetpc.com
> www.priemiumtvforpc.com
> www.watchtvonyourpc.net
> www.johnQ.com

FORGET THEM ALL. FORGET THAT I EVEN MENTIONED THEM
They are apearently not worth the money of the
bandwidth to download them. JohnQ is particularly
bad. THey just link you to the shows on Youtube.

That is not to say it is all bad in the IPTV world.
I found a few usefull links.
First: The TV over IP fourm on DSLreports.com.
Then these web sites:
www.Joost.com
www.Hulu.com
www.tvuNetworks.com
www.getmiro.com
www.in2streams.com (this one is subsription based)
wwwitv.com/portal (no dot after the wwww)
www.global-itv.com
www.dailyiptv.com (an industry news letter with some
good articles, reviews, and lists.

Not related to IPTV, but go to sourceforge.net and
get a copy of IpodMyTube. It puts Youtube videos
on iPods.