evil mattress cabal

Mark E. Crane

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99

Gadzooks! My wife and I went looking for replacements for our 5 year
old lumpy futon mattress the other day. I can't believe what mattresses
cost, some were 800 bucks! What's up with that? Is a 200 mattress
worth sleeping on? This all seems like some sort of evil capitalist
plot.

Mark Crane

Pat Meadows

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99

How about buying a new *futon* mattress? We recently
bought one, I think it was about $199.

Pat Meadows

Sweet Gal

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99
Mark,

What kind of futon do you have? The one that I got was pricey, but it comes
with a guarantee that they will restuff it when necessary. Also, they told
me that futons do tend to get lumpy, especially if you're using it as a sofa
and as a bed, but they recommended that before having it restuffed, that I
take a baseball bat to it - LOL. They said that all it really needs it a
good beating!

But regarding the bed, I think you can get good queen size mattress and box
springs for less than $800. Those damn pillow tops seem to be the priciest.
If I want that soft of a surface, I'll just get a think mattress pad. The
more expensive ones also claim 15 to 20 year warranties. I don't really
expect any bed to last longer than 10 years for everyday sleeping. After
that, it's off to the guest room or to the "furniture bank".

Have you looked into one of the new air beds? I'm not in the market for a
bed, but I laid on one at Bed, Bath and Beyond just to try it out. It
really did seem pretty comfy and I liked how each side was adjustable for
firmness.

Paula

Mark E. Crane <mecr...@athena.louisville.edu> wrote in message

> Gadzooks! My wife and I went looking for replacements for our 5 year
> old lumpy futon mattress the other day. I can't believe what mattresses
> cost, some were 800 bucks! What's up with that? Is a 200 mattress
> worth sleeping on? This all seems like some sort of evil capitalist
> plot.
>

> Mark Crane

Elaine Gallant

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99

Hubby and I have been sleeping on a 60's vintage polyurethane foam mattress
for about 10 years. It's a comfortable. Now as the day I bought it. $60. at
Salvation Army.

Marion Bon

Dec 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/25/99
On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:16:37 -0500, "Mark E. Crane"
<mecr...@athena.louisville.edu> wrote:

:
:Gadzooks! My wife and I went looking for replacements for our 5 year

:old lumpy futon mattress the other day. I can't believe what mattresses
:cost, some were 800 bucks! What's up with that? Is a 200 mattress
:worth sleeping on? This all seems like some sort of evil capitalist
:plot.

I have an Ikea foam mattress and it's very comfortable. I believe
they also sell spring mattresses.

rgds Marion - remove the average to reply

Elaine Gallant

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99

The deal with a spring mattress is that they have a definite lifespan.
Those springs are going to uncoil, and come sticking through the padding at
some point.
Foam mattress might get sat out in the middle eventually. One could just
cut out the squashed foam and replace it.

Tock

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
>:Gadzooks! My wife and I went looking for replacements for our 5 year
>:old lumpy futon mattress the other day. I can't believe what mattresses
>:cost, some were 800 bucks! What's up with that? Is a 200 mattress
>:worth sleeping on? This all seems like some sort of evil capitalist
>:plot.
>
>I have an Ikea foam mattress and it's very comfortable. I believe
>they also sell spring mattresses.

When I first got my waterbed I filled it up with the hard water we have
here, but I had to replace it with spring water to get the right degree of
"bounce" . . . but I had to get rid of it because I developed some sort of
allergy to the plastic it was made of (for real--probably a consequence of
working around the chemicals in a semiconductor wafer fab).
I checked into those nationally advertised air mattresses (don't remember
the name) but they're pretty expensive, too. I think the basic one was
around $900 or $1100. Hmmm. I tried one out at the local mall, but
didn't like the lack of support for my lower back (it gives me trouble
sometimes). Saw some competing brands of inflatable air beds at a waterbed
store . . . essentially the same product, but they can charge less 'cause
they don't advertise. Currently am on a futon I put in my waterbed frame;
two years and it seems ok.
--Tock