Suing a Dentist

soretooth

Sep 8, 2007, 4:04:52 PM9/8/07
Anyone here sued a dentist. Guy replaced filing on tooth that did not
hurt, now in pain and might need root canal. And he is expecting me to
pay for his procedure that failed and left me worse off than before.
What recourse do I have if any. Amount is not enuf to get the attention
of most attorneys.

Al Bundy

Sep 8, 2007, 5:47:27 PM9/8/07

You are jumping the gun. First, you are showing that you know little
about dentistry or teeth. The dentist is not responsible based upon
what you describe. He replaced a filling so there was prior work
there. He must have done an X-Ray to see if the tooth was infected.
That is not alway dispositive either. He surely medicated the area and
replaced the filling. Trauma to the tooth because of the filling
replacement can begin a process that results in the nerve becoming
sensitive. While it is possible the dentist made some error or
omission, it is difficult to tell now. All I can say is, these things
happen sometimes. Don't blame the dentist unless there is a repeat
pattern of these things.

soretooth

Sep 8, 2007, 7:25:17 PM9/8/07
I bet your a dentist right?

In any case in my many many years of seeing dentists and having many
filings replaced, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

There are other issues involved that show this guy probably committed
malpractice, but, as I said there is not enough money involved to
interest most attorneys.

I know what to do, but not sure it will get my money back that was
wasted.

I do know that it will wind up costing him alot more than it cost me.

If you go to an mechanic and you get your car back worse than went you
went in, do you just pay the bill and walk away with a smile. Especially
now when these shysters are demanding payment in advance for their work.

Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in

Al Bundy

Sep 9, 2007, 7:11:20 AM9/9/07

soretooth wrote:
> I bet your a dentist right?
>
> In any case in my many many years of seeing dentists and having many
> filings replaced, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.
>
> There are other issues involved that show this guy probably committed
> malpractice, but, as I said there is not enough money involved to
> interest most attorneys.
>
> I know what to do, but not sure it will get my money back that was
> wasted.
>
> I do know that it will wind up costing him alot more than it cost me.
>
> If you go to an mechanic and you get your car back worse than went you
> went in, do you just pay the bill and walk away with a smile. Especially
> now when these shysters are demanding payment in advance for their work.

OH, but it's very likely a process was already starting in your
tooth. The dentist took the logical step and tried a filling instead
of complete root canal and crown. Yes, wait until you see the
complete bill for the root canal and crown. The cost of the filling
will seem nugatory at that point. Go somewhere else and give them the
money.

Many people take their cars in for one thing and something else goes
bad at the same time. If they know anything about mechanics, they
don't blame the shop. There may or may not be a correlation. You
should take your question to the dental group where professionals can
advise you.

Sep 9, 2007, 2:25:24 PM9/9/07
I have had to have fillings replaced because they were coming loose.
The replacement itself is not necessarily the problem.

Have you gotten a second opinion?

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Wooly

Sep 9, 2007, 2:50:54 PM9/9/07

Seems as if we had this discussion within recent memory, and the upshot
was:

Shit happens. If you can't deal with the fact that shit happens you
need to move back into your parents' household and let them deal with
shit in an adult fashion since you obviously can't.

Don

Sep 10, 2007, 11:10:57 AM9/10/07
"soretooth"> wrote

> I do know that it will wind up costing him alot more than it cost me.

And THAT'S all that really matters, right?
Welome to the litigious society.

Al Bundy

Sep 15, 2007, 7:26:32 PM9/15/07

No. The dentist probably has an insurance company to turn it over to.
The OP will have to pay up front as there is no case here from the
facts noted that would cause an attorney to take it on a contingency.
Businesses soon learn how to handle disgruntled customers
efficiently.
PS. A guy like the OP doesn't need a smile anyway as he never uses it.