Frugal catalog case?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 3:42:06 PM10/18/07
I'm a full time student....carry big books to class

I've tried the backpack route but its really hard on my
expensive books as they flop around in the odd shaped
backpack a lot..... lots of wear on books

I've decide a catalog case or even big laptop case
would work better since its rectangular shaped.... like
the books. I even think a catalog case makes more
sense..... since in essence thick books are like thick
'catalogs".

any advice on decent brands catalog cases? Id prefer
ballistic nylon over leather as its lighter in weight.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Oct 18, 2007, 4:06:06 PM10/18/07

Get a rectangular backpack. It is a *lot* easier to carry those heavy
books in a backpack than in a catalog case (unless you get a wheeled
one, and then you still have the stairs problem).

And bear in mind that those expensive books will have lost most of their
re-sale value by the end of the year anyway, because there will be new
editions out by then. :-)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
He who knows only his own side of the case

Shawn Hirn

Oct 18, 2007, 8:29:42 PM10/18/07
In article <bjdfh398rtjmpa685...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
wrote:

Why don't you check local thrift stores to see what they have?

Anthony Matonak

Oct 19, 2007, 12:08:17 AM10/19/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> I'm a full time student....carry big books to class
>
> I've tried the backpack route but its really hard on my
> expensive books as they flop around in the odd shaped
> backpack a lot..... lots of wear on books

This is not exactly the question you were asking but you
could get a tablet or laptop computer and scan your books.
You don't even need to OCR them. Most scanners these days
come with software to convert the images to a PDF. You
might even be able to find a book scanner on campus that
you can borrow.

Carry one computer with all your books on it.

Anthony

Rick

Oct 19, 2007, 4:39:05 PM10/19/07

And you would be done scanning the first semester's books by the time
you finish college...

Beeblebrox

Oct 19, 2007, 5:51:19 PM10/19/07

get a "messenger bag" style, they're rectangle.

Anthony Matonak

Oct 19, 2007, 11:18:05 PM10/19/07
Rick wrote:

> Anthony Matonak wrote:
>> This is not exactly the question you were asking but you
>> could get a tablet or laptop computer and scan your books.
>
> And you would be done scanning the first semester's books by the time
> you finish college...

I've scanned a couple of books in my time. An average sized
text book takes anywhere from one to two hours to scan. More
if you have a $10 slow as dirt flatbed scanner, less if you
have use of a professional Google sized book scanner.

How many books do you need in a single semester?

I suppose you could team up with other people in your classes
and each person could scan one book and share that file with
the others in that class. Assuming they had all purchased a
legal copy of the text, of course.

Anthony

Don K

Oct 20, 2007, 8:03:17 AM10/20/07
"Anthony Matonak" <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote in message

> I suppose you could team up with other people in your classes
> and each person could scan one book and share that file with
> the others in that class. Assuming they had all purchased a
> legal copy of the text, of course.

If you had access to a scanner with a paperfeeder, the way to go
would be to first xerox the book and then run the copies thru the scanner.

Don

Logan Shaw

Oct 20, 2007, 12:15:58 PM10/20/07

Why is that easier than just scanning each page? Don't you have to
press each page against a glass plate in either case?

Personally, I think the easiest way would be to get an exacto knife
and carefully cut along the binding so that you "liberate" all the
pages, then put those into a sheet feeder. But that's slightly
destructive.

- Logan

Don K

Oct 20, 2007, 12:26:58 PM10/20/07
"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> Don K wrote:
>> "Anthony Matonak" <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I suppose you could team up with other people in your classes
>>> and each person could scan one book and share that file with
>>> the others in that class. Assuming they had all purchased a
>>> legal copy of the text, of course.
>>
>> If you had access to a scanner with a paperfeeder, the way to go
>> would be to first xerox the book and then run the copies thru the scanner.
>
> Why is that easier than just scanning each page? Don't you have to
> press each page against a glass plate in either case?

Copy machines are a lot faster than the typical scanner.
At least the kind used in most offices and copy centers are.

Don

m...@privacy.net

Oct 22, 2007, 2:15:27 PM10/22/07

Yeah Id like to do that..... but you should see the
size of these text books!!

Rod Speed

Oct 22, 2007, 2:23:47 PM10/22/07

None of them end up very big in pdf form.