New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Erica Eshoo

Nov 4, 2007, 4:38:12 PM11/4/07
Unfortunately, my kid lost his boot disk recently and I had to reimage
WinXP and now it's time to add all the freeware back.

Silly me - in addition to no backups, we don't have a well defined list of
freeware that was installed - so, we're starting from scratch, again. :(

I wish I had kept a list. I'm trying to remember from memory what needs to
be installed on a laptop to make it useful.

I think these are the required software additions for my NEW running list
of freeware aps that must be on a typical windows XP pc.

Mandatory Operating System Patches (for laptops):
- Windows XP SP2
- Wireless encryption http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021
- Any others?

Required freeware capabilities (from memory):
- Browse the web with Firefox to replace IE
- Email with Thunderbird to replace OE
- Create PDFs with CutePDF to replace Acrobat
- View photos with Irfanview & edit with Paint.NET
- Firewall with ZoneAlarm to replace Windows Firewall
- AntiVirus with Avast to replace McAfee
- Archive with IZArc to replace WinZip
- Office documents with Sun OpenOffice to replace MS Office
- Security with TrueCrypt to replace PGP
- Usenet with XNews to replace google groups
- Torrent with Bittorrent to replace ftp
- Ipod with SharePod to replace ITunes song transfer
- Audacity & MultiID3 tag editor to replace iTunes editing
- Backup dvds with DVDFabDecrypter
- Convert avi to DVD with DVDFlick
- Burn DVDs with ImgBurn
- Maps with GoogleEarth
- RealAlternative to replace RealPlayer
- QuicktimeAlternative to replace QuickTime
- Media Player Classic to replace Windows Media Player
- GNU Flash Alternative to replace Macromedia Flash Player
- Skype to replace land lines
- AdAware, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot Search & Destroy for privacy
- Ccleaner to maintain a clean PC & registry
- Any others?

I'm sure I missed a half-dozen or more critical freeware necessities for a
typical laptop. Can you help me refresh my memory.

What other freeware do most people need to set up a decent Windows XP PC?

Frank McCoy

Nov 4, 2007, 5:11:20 PM11/4/07
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Erica Eshoo <evesu...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Unfortunately, my kid lost his boot disk recently and I had to reimage
>WinXP and now it's time to add all the freeware back.
>
>Silly me - in addition to no backups, we don't have a well defined list of
>freeware that was installed - so, we're starting from scratch, again. :(

That's why I always keep a separate directory of "installs" containing
just about everything I've downloaded off the net that I can direct the
download to a directory instead of just running.

Every so often I backup that installs directory to a CD-ROM.
That's not counting other backup methods I use.
It saves *enormous* amounts of time and trouble when I have to do a
complete rebuild of any system, or a fresh install of a new one.

>I wish I had kept a list. I'm trying to remember from memory what needs to
>be installed on a laptop to make it useful.
>
>I think these are the required software additions for my NEW running list
>of freeware aps that must be on a typical windows XP pc.
>
>Mandatory Operating System Patches (for laptops):
>- Windows XP SP2
>- Wireless encryption http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021
>- Any others?
>
>Required freeware capabilities (from memory):
>- Browse the web with Firefox to replace IE

I still have my old Netscape.

>- Email with Thunderbird to replace OE

I use Eudora.

>- Create PDFs with CutePDF to replace Acrobat
>- View photos with Irfanview & edit with Paint.NET

Be sure and get all the plugins for Irfanview.

>- Firewall with ZoneAlarm to replace Windows Firewall
>- AntiVirus with Avast to replace McAfee
>- Archive with IZArc to replace WinZip

I use WinRar instead of WinZip (It's by the same company; and has the
same licencing; only it supports far more formats.)

>- Office documents with Sun OpenOffice to replace MS Office
>- Security with TrueCrypt to replace PGP

What's wrong with PGP?

>- Usenet with XNews to replace google groups

Agent or FreeAgent. MUCH better.

>- Torrent with Bittorrent to replace ftp
>- Ipod with SharePod to replace ITunes song transfer
>- Audacity & MultiID3 tag editor to replace iTunes editing
>- Backup dvds with DVDFabDecrypter
>- Convert avi to DVD with DVDFlick

Except for the price, AVS really covers that better than anybody else
I've found ... and believe me I *looked* really hard!

>- Burn DVDs with ImgBurn
>- Maps with GoogleEarth
>- RealAlternative to replace RealPlayer
>- QuicktimeAlternative to replace QuickTime
>- Media Player Classic to replace Windows Media Player
>- GNU Flash Alternative to replace Macromedia Flash Player
>- Skype to replace land lines
>- AdAware, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot Search & Destroy for privacy

Get Bazooka Adware scanner to add to those.

>- Ccleaner to maintain a clean PC & registry
>- Any others?
>
>I'm sure I missed a half-dozen or more critical freeware necessities for a
>typical laptop. Can you help me refresh my memory.
>
>What other freeware do most people need to set up a decent Windows XP PC?

Let's see ... from my Installs directory:
DivX and XVID
The Aptiva Toolbox (Including things like Windiff, Startup Manager, and
Enditall)
BCwipe for security. (I also have Norton Wipeinfo; but it doesn't fit
so neatly into the Windows Shell.)
CPU-Z for checking out your processor and memory.
A separate bootable copy of Memtest86+
Same with Spinrite (though it's not free).
Make a separate directory of all your fonts.
A good Windows RPN calulator: Either Xcalc or Xcalibur-32-bit (I have
both)
Rgh Extensions to Windows
Synctoy (from Microsoft)
TweakUI (from Microsoft ... get the Windows-XP version)
Nistime-32bit for setting your clock accurately.
V (or V8) file-viewer.
The latest VIA 4-in-1 installer, along with the latest Realtek AC-97
sound driver.
And finally, the latest DirectX installer from Microsoft as a
redistributable package.

Those'll give you a start.

Having them ALL on a CD-ROM, and not having to spend *hours* downloading
them from the net, saves *so much* time!

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢

Conor

Nov 4, 2007, 5:16:56 PM11/4/07
In article <8ZqXi.18808$JD.1...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>, Erica
Eshoo says...

> - Archive with IZArc to replace WinZip

Try jzip instead. It's based on 7-zip but has a Winzip type GUI.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

bluerhinoceros

Nov 4, 2007, 6:01:10 PM11/4/07
Erica Eshoo wrote:

> Mandatory Operating System Patches (for laptops):
> - Windows XP SP2
> - Wireless encryption http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021
> - Any others?

You may have taken it for granted and not mentioned it, but either
Automatic Updates, or regular visits to Windows Update...

> What other freeware do most people need to set up a decent Windows XP PC?

DriveImage XML to avoid going through this again. :-)

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

PrevX CSI.

http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

Cheers.

jamesh...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 4, 2007, 6:17:51 PM11/4/07
Erica Eshoo wrote:

I don`t think you missed any critical, you can always find ones you
need as and when you need them. And add them to your list.

I consider a cd burning one like CD Burner XP, and ones for playing
media, and irfanview, as most critical. You have those covered really,
I would add..

SUPER by eRightSoft <-- for converting media, including converting one
to a more compatible format so even standard WMP can read it

VLC VideoLAN <-- a media player that plays almost anything, though
cannot always jump around as in WMP. It does play more than WMP Classic
or quicktime alternative.

I prefer Xananews as a news client. I prefer it to Forte for example,
which somebody mentioned.

Google Groups is good though, and has a searchable archive which is
crucial/critical.

There is this site
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/
and this
http://bearbottoms1.com/
and prob others.

Infact, if you had typed freeware into Google Groups you`d have got
that newsgroup I mentinoed below, and there you would`ve seen those 2
links mentioned.
You can try alt.comp.freeware too, they would also have lists.

If any freeware is critical, you already mentioned it.

Gary Heston

Nov 4, 2007, 6:31:56 PM11/4/07
In article <13isjpt...@news.supernews.com>,

bluerhinoceros <bluerhi...@humanzoo.invalid> wrote:
>Erica Eshoo wrote:

>> Mandatory Operating System Patches (for laptops):
>> - Windows XP SP2

[ ... ]

>You may have taken it for granted and not mentioned it, but either
>Automatic Updates, or regular visits to Windows Update...

[ ... ]

Or, manually download each update and save it in your installs folder.
That way Microsoft doesn't get to slide through another unauthorized
spyware installation when you have auto-install turned off.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Gordon

Nov 4, 2007, 7:29:17 PM11/4/07
Erica Eshoo <evesu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

----deleted list ---

> I'm sure I missed a half-dozen or more critical freeware necessities
> for a typical laptop. Can you help me refresh my memory.
>
> What other freeware do most people need to set up a decent Windows XP
> PC?

I use Faststone for an image browser
and Winamp for multimedia (also has a tag editor and iPod support).

Also look into Autoruns and Process Explorer by Sys internals.

Ike

Nov 4, 2007, 7:29:31 PM11/4/07
jamesh...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> SUPER by eRightSoft <-- for converting media, including converting one
> to a more compatible format so even standard WMP can read it

WOW! Thanks for the referral to this incredibly SUPER
software. I've been looking for something like this, and
over time have spent a lot of money on products that are
incompetent, incompatible with Vista, or hard to use.

Super is well-named.

Ike

bluerhinoceros

Nov 4, 2007, 8:18:14 PM11/4/07
jamesh...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> You can try alt.comp.freeware too, they would also have lists.

She crossposted over here.

Cheers.

jamesh...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 4, 2007, 8:23:21 PM11/4/07
Ike wrote:

it takes some looking to find the download link on the site, sometimes
the link looks more like an advert.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.freeware/browse_frm/thread/ca6
08a10ede5d1e3/f7d9d02939bbe706?hl=en&lnk=st&q=jameshanley39+super#f7d9d0
2939bbe706
links to alt.comp.freeware, thread- How to Burn & Play an AVI File
I`ll paste what I wrote there, here

with a file that plays in some i.e. VLC but not others. Or suppose
you don`t have VLC. You might find it plays in WMP classic, but not
others like WMP.

there are 2 logical options..

-try different players - maybe one will support the file
or
-convert the file to a format, that is compatible.

You can convert the file using SUPER by eRightSoft to a form of mpg or
avi or whatever, that is compatible with all/most players. I have
done that and find they then always play even in plain old WMP(windows
media player).

You drag the file onto SUPER, then check the box, click "Encode". See
if that makes a file that even WMP can read. You may have to choose a
different "output container" - dropdown menu, then click Encode.
Hopefully instead of just "encoding", a window will pop up and say
"Rendered file optimizer- select one of the following FourCC - DIVX -
all players compatible, DX50 .... "
You choose "DIVX all players compatible". Then let it encode and it
will work.
I don`t know why it uses terms like "encoding" or "output container"
or "FourCC" , exactly what is meant, but it works. But I get generally
what it means. Encoding is making the file, output container is the
format mpg, avi, e.t..c FourCC is to do with the type of codec it uses
to make the file.

I did once have a file that was not reading in , maybe only in VLC.
For the hell of it I checked it with gspot, to see what codec it used.
I said "divx" I think it said it in lowe rcase. Still, converting it
with SUPER fixed it. THen it said DIVX in upper case. The
thechnicalities are a load of bollocks that don`t interest me greatly.
But the process - converting the file to a more compatible format,
that makes sense and works.

Duddits

Nov 4, 2007, 8:34:12 PM11/4/07

I like 40tude Dialog better than XNews
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
Alt.Binz for binaries
http://www.altbinz.com/

Utorrent over Bittorrent
http://www.utorrent.com/

Don't give up on FTP
http://filezilla-project.org/

FastStone Image Viewer to manage photo collections and lightweight
editing.
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
Photoscape for more serious photo editing
http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Windows defender in addition to your other spyware solutions
(unattended scans automatically)

FreeCommander is the best freeware file manager IMSHO ;-)
http://www.freecommander.com/

AgentRansack for serious file searches
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

Pidgin for Instant messaging if you do such things
http://www.pidgin.im/

regards

Dud

--

Never argue with a fool - people might not know the difference. - Anonymous

badgolferman

Nov 4, 2007, 8:51:16 PM11/4/07

ERUNT for emergency registry restores.
DVDShrink for DVD backups.
Karen's Replicator for backups.
WordWeb for looking up definitions.
e-Sword for learning more about the Bible.
Editpad Lite for working with text files.
Shareaza or uTorrent for downloading torrents.
Xananews for newsgroup reading.
Media Player Classic and codecs for videos.

throwitout

Nov 4, 2007, 11:50:11 PM11/4/07
On Nov 4, 5:38 pm, Erica Eshoo <evesunf...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately, my kid lost his boot disk recently and I had to reimage
> WinXP and now it's time to add all the freeware back.
>
> Silly me - in addition to no backups, we don't have a well defined list of
> freeware that was installed - so, we're starting from scratch, again. :(
>
> I wish I had kept a list. I'm trying to remember from memory what needs to
> be installed on a laptop to make it useful.

I not only keep a list, but all the installers, since frequently good
programs become hard to find in the future.

> I think these are the required software additions for my NEW running list
> of freeware aps that must be on a typical windows XP pc.
>
> Mandatory Operating System Patches (for laptops):
> - Windows XP SP2
> - Wireless encryptionhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021
> - Any others?

nlite to slipstream in SP2 and create a disk for unattended
installation. Afterwards although "payware" Acronis true image is
great for imaging for a fast restore. Better than the latest version
of Ghost. Also after installing and updating I remove unnecessary
patch uninstall files (c:\windows\$NTuninstallxxxxxxx)
http://www.nliteos.com/
http://www.acronis.com/

> Required freeware capabilities (from memory):
> - Browse the web with Firefox to replace IE

Adblock plus for Firefox to, well, block ads.
I also use mouse gestures plug in.

> - Email with Thunderbird to replace OE
> - Create PDFs with CutePDF to replace Acrobat

Foxit to replace Acrobat reader.

> - View photos with Irfanview & edit with Paint.NET
> - Firewall with ZoneAlarm to replace Windows Firewall

I don't really see the need. Plus I also have a router. Other freeware
firewalls allow for more control than Zonealarm.

> - AntiVirus with Avast to replace McAfee

Or AVG

> - Archive with IZArc to replace WinZip

Tug-zip. Put in rar.exe and it can not only read, but create rar
files. Natively handles zip, 7-zip and millions of others

> - Office documents with Sun OpenOffice to replace MS Office

As much as I'd like to like Openoffice, I find it still can't beat MS
Office 2003. Though with any Office 2000-2003 installation I put on
the converters for office 2007 files, putting off the need of an
upgrade just to support this terrible format.

> - Torrent with Bittorrent to replace ftp

Microtorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/
is the best Bit Torrent client.

> - Ipod with SharePod to replace ITunes song transfer
> - Audacity & MultiID3 tag editor to replace iTunes editing

iTunes is such a piece of garbage.

> - Backup dvds with DVDFabDecrypter

Fab Decrypter for breaking the latest protection schemes, DVD-Shrink
for re-compression.

> - Convert avi to DVD with DVDFlick
> - Burn DVDs with ImgBurn

ImgBurn is good for burning images, InfraRecorder is really good for
giving an environment similar to Nero or Easy CD creator.
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

Microsoft's Virtual CD Control panel to mount ISO images. It's tiny.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Virtual-CDROM-Control-Panel-Download-16468.html

> - RealAlternative to replace RealPlayer
> - QuicktimeAlternative to replace QuickTime

Real player and Quicktime are such garbage. Especially Quicktime,
since most software that comes from Apple is pure crap, and they
really like trying to force iTunes on users.

K-lite is good for filling in other required codecs

> - Media Player Classic to replace Windows Media Player

VLC is good too. If I have a file that k-lite+quicktime alternative
+real alternative can't open, VLC usually can.

> - GNU Flash Alternative to replace Macromedia Flash Player
> - Skype to replace land lines
> - AdAware, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot Search & Destroy for privacy

If you don't download random untrusted programs, and run plugins from
sketchy sites, using anti-adware / spyware programs starts becoming a
waste of time, especially 3. The only things I have ever had them
return are browser cookies, which aren't real spyware as such, and you
can set firefox to delete cookies / history / cache on close. I find
resident anti virus is also a waste of time. Only need to scan
downloaded files, and maybe the odd hard drive scan.

> - Ccleaner to maintain a clean PC & registry
> - Any others?

Windirstat to figure out why your 250GB hard drive only has 2GB free
http://windirstat.info/

Eraser
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
For secure erases, since you seem concerned about privacy.

Sandboxie:
http://sandboxie.com/
although no iron wall protection, is useful for testing programs
without committing changes to the system.

VMWare player for virtual machines. Google around for free ways to
create virtual machines with it.
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Process explorer to replace Task manager:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processexplorer.mspx

Restoration:
http://freeware.it-mate.co.uk/?Cat=System#134
or Free undelete:
http://officerecovery.com/freeundelete/
to have on hand in case you accidentally delete something. Since time
is of the essence in undelete cases.

I use speedfan to monitor my system temperatures and alarm in
overtemperatures/ also monitor hard drive SMART status. In one of my
machines I use it to control the CPU fan speed.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

BBLean to replace Explorer as the shell:
http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/

AutoIT to replace GWBasic and DOSkey....
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/
Really powerful tool for macros, and light programming.

Wakeup on standby to allow your computer to wake from hibernation or
standby at a specified time:
http://wake-up-on-stand-by.qarchive.org/

Freeware download manger to allow resumes for downloads and splitting
of downloads to improve speed.
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Putty to replace telnet:

and FreeSSHd or COPSSH to act as an ssh server so you can get secure
access to your network. FreeSSHd works great for tunneling VNC and
other services, but can not properly handle Remote desktop if you have
XP Pro. COPSSH isn't as compact or user friendly, but works good with
remote desktop:
http://www.freesshd.com/
http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=12

notaguru

Nov 5, 2007, 12:32:45 AM11/5/07
I'm enjoying these valuable comments and taking notes
--- this is a great thread!

As a TBird and Firefox user, I back up the Profile
folder for each. That eliminates the need for
re-installing various gadgets and plugins.

By the way, what is the best freeware uninstaller (for
Vista)? I've been using Your Uninstaller ($) but welcome
other ideas.

Thanks, Gurus

-Lost

Nov 5, 2007, 4:21:53 AM11/5/07
Response from bluerhinoceros <bluerhi...@humanzoo.invalid>:

> PrevX CSI.
>
> http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

Since when is this freeware? Or is the online scan part actually free?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 5, 2007, 4:38:26 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:11:20 -0600, Frank McCoy wrote:
>>- Archive with IZArc to replace WinZip
> I use WinRar instead of WinZip

I thought WinRar wasn't freeware? IZArc is freeware and is almost as good
as WinRar in my humble opinion.

>>- Security with TrueCrypt to replace PGP
> What's wrong with PGP?

IMHO, in the olden days, PGP was fine; but nowadays - PGP tries to make you
buy it so most of the stuff doesn't even work except the critical stuff.
I'm tired of having an entire PGP Desktop program that has most of the
buttons shut off. TrueCrypt has none of that and is truly freeware.

>>- Usenet with XNews to replace google groups
> Agent or FreeAgent. MUCH better.

Agent is a classic - but I thought it wasn't free any more. Is Agent free?
And FreeAgent, I thought was advertiseware; so that's why I didn't install
it myself. I must admit this list was from memory as I haven't tested the
best freeware in a long time.

>>- Convert avi to DVD with DVDFlick
> Except for the price, AVS really covers that better than anybody else
> I've found ... and believe me I *looked* really hard!

I love DVDFlick. And, it's freeware. I do not know about AVS but all I do
is slide an AVI file onto DVDFlick and it converts that AVI file to a
properly sized DVD image and then burns that image to a DVD single-layer
disk. IMHO, DVDFlick is a great piece of freeware!

>>- AdAware, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot Search & Destroy for privacy
> Get Bazooka Adware scanner to add to those.

I never heard of Bazooka. I'll check it out. I use TrendMicro HouseCall
most of the time as it catches at least one or two infections a week that
the other guys don't.

> DivX and XVID, Aptiva Toolbox, BCwipe, CPU-Z, Memtest86+,
> fonts, Xcalc or Xcalibur-32-bit, Rgh Extensions to Windows
> Synctoy, TweakUI, Nistime-32bit, V (or V8) file-viewer
> VIA 4-in-1 installer, Realtek AC-97 sound driver, DirectX installer

> Having them ALL on a CD-ROM, and not having to spend *hours* downloading
> them from the net, saves *so much* time!

I love the idea of a separate install directory with a CDROM
backup every once in a while. That would have saved LOTS of time
for me.

I'm not sure what some of your suggested programs are, so I'm going to
have to study them ... especially "rgh", "synctoy", "realtek", "VIA",
and "Aptiva".

Erica Eshoo

Nov 5, 2007, 4:43:18 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:01:10 -0800, bluerhinoceros wrote:
> You may have taken it for granted and not mentioned it, but either
> Automatic Updates, or regular visits to Windows Update...

Good point! Yes, I did take autoupdate for granted, assuming most people
opt for that.

It's unfortunate that, even with automatic updates, you don't get WPA2
wireless-encryption support for XP until you download
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357 and or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021

> DriveImage XML to avoid going through this again. :-)

If this is back up freeware - I MUST have a look see! :)

Erica Eshoo

Nov 5, 2007, 4:52:04 AM11/5/07
On 04 Nov 2007 23:17:51 GMT, jamesh...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I prefer Xananews as a news client. I prefer it to Forte for example,
> which somebody mentioned.

http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm

I appreciate the Xanews suggestion as I'm not as happy with my freeware
nntp newsreader as I am with other programs such as IrfanView, DVDFlick,
Firefox, etc.

Based on this thread, I created a new directory:
c:\My Installers\My NNTP Clients\
and downloaded Xananews into it along with a copy of the HTML page (for
reference) where I obtained it (I used wget freeware to archive the web
page along with the executable).

Thanks!

Erica Eshoo

Nov 5, 2007, 4:55:01 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:29:31 -0800, Ike wrote:
> Super is well-named.

After that post, I just had to look it up.

SUPER. Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/super.cfm

Wow. It apparently plays everything but the flute!
It's going to go into my new directory:
C:\My Installers\My Video Players

If you need a simple, yet very efficient tool to convert (encode) or play
any Multimedia file, without reading manuals or spending long hours
training, then SUPER is all you need. It is a Multimedia Encoder and a
Multimedia Player, easy-to-use with 1 simple click.

SUPER supports a wide variety of input/source file format to play or encode
(to & from) without any additional third party software:
Video format: 3gp/3g2(Nokia,Siemens,Sony,Ericsson) asf, avi
(DivX,H263,H263+,H264,Xvid,MPEG4,MSmpeg4 etc..), fli, flc, flv (used in
Flash), mpg (Mpeg I,Mpeg II), mov(H263,H263+,H264,MPEG4 etc..),
mp4(H263,H263+,H264,MPEG4), ogg, qt, rm, str (Play Station), swf (Flash),
viv, vob, wmv
Audio format: ac3, amr, mp2, mp3, mp4, ogg, ra, wma
AviSynth Script Files: avs. ALL Input/source files that fail to encode,
will be encoded without error when using AviSynth scripts.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 5, 2007, 5:10:44 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:50:11 -0800, throwitout wrote:
> I not only keep a list, but all the installers, since frequently good
> programs become hard to find in the future.

I now have C:\My Installers\My <type of program>\
And I'll keep the installer and a copy of the web pages with wget in each
directory so I know what it was that I downloaded and from whence.

>> - Create PDFs with CutePDF to replace Acrobat
> Foxit to replace Acrobat reader.

GREAT CATCH! I was wondering what to use to read the PDFs I created.

>> - AntiVirus with Avast to replace McAfee
> Or AVG

Yes.

>> - Torrent with Bittorrent to replace ftp
> Microtorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/
> is the best Bit Torrent client.

I'm gonna switch to uTorrent afer reading up on it. Thanks!

>> - Ipod with SharePod to replace ITunes song transfer
>> - Audacity & MultiID3 tag editor to replace iTunes editing
> iTunes is such a piece of garbage.

I agree. I like SharePod cuz I can move any song from anwhere and I don't
have to maintain a virgin disk hierarchy which rules the world.

>> - Backup dvds with DVDFabDecrypter
> Fab Decrypter for breaking the latest protection schemes, DVD-Shrink
> for re-compression.

I thought DVDFab Decrypter shrank things to the right size. I guess I'll
add DVDShrink to keep it on a single-layer dvd disc.

>> - Burn DVDs with ImgBurn

> InfraRecorder is really good for
> giving an environment similar to Nero or Easy CD creator.
> http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net

Another one for the C:\My Installers\My Hardware\My DVD directory!
I see InfraRecorder even saves the sound track to a MPEG file. That could
come in handy for the iPod!

> Sandboxie:
> http://sandboxie.com/
> although no iron wall protection, is useful for testing programs
> without committing changes to the system.

I like it. I'll try it.
C:\My Installers\My Protection

Another keeper!

throwitout

Nov 5, 2007, 5:25:49 AM11/5/07
On Nov 5, 6:10 am, Erica Eshoo <evesunf...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I thought DVDFab Decrypter shrank things to the right size. I guess I'll
> add DVDShrink to keep it on a single-layer dvd disc.

The Free version of Fab Decrypter only does 1:1 backups, most of the
advanced features are disabled.

Bear Bottoms

Nov 5, 2007, 6:12:16 AM11/5/07
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:32:45 -0600, notaguru <notaguru...@gmail.com>
wrote:

RevoUninstaller for general purpose (it's great)
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

For snapshot before and after (occassionally)
http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website http://bearbottoms1.com

kurdi

Nov 5, 2007, 7:46:27 AM11/5/07
This IS a great thread.
I recently had the same experience of reinstalling Windows and re-
It was an opportunity to write a posting about the expereince my blog,
entitled: "Reinstall Windows and outfit your system with all freeware
programs"

Of course many of my selections are the same as the ones already
mentioned in the thread.

check it out here:
http://www.freewaregenius.com/2007/10/29/reinstall-windows-and-outfit-your-system-with-all-freeware-programs/

--
Visit my freeware blog: www.freewaregenius.com

PeterC

Nov 5, 2007, 9:30:50 AM11/5/07
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 02:10:44 -0800, Erica Eshoo wrote:

>>> - Create PDFs with CutePDF to replace Acrobat

If you don't mind a line across the bottom of the page, PDF FactoryPro is
by far the most useable for this - I used it a lot over several years (Mine
doesn't print the line :-> ) and it's quick, makes small PDFs and
interfaces well with Eudora.

>> Foxit to replace Acrobat reader.
>
> GREAT CATCH! I was wondering what to use to read the PDFs I created.

I used to use Foxit (and still do for reading PDFs down;oaded via Opera,
where I want justa quick view), but recently started using PDF-XChange
Viewer as it can do a lot more and has tabs rathet than the new instances.
It's a bit slower to open, but only abou 2 - 3s.

--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

bluerhinoceros

Nov 5, 2007, 10:13:26 AM11/5/07
-Lost wrote:
> Response from bluerhinoceros <bluerhi...@humanzoo.invalid>:
>
>> PrevX CSI.
>>
>> http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp
>
> Since when is this freeware? Or is the online scan part actually free?

Yes, it's free. CSI is different from the fullblown Prevx. It doesn't
scan all files, just checks for active spyware or malware, and is
consequently very fast. There is an EXE that can be run online or saved
to disk, but to run it requires a non-proxied internet connection.

I think it's a useful companion to realtime protections.

Cheers.

jamesh...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 5, 2007, 3:02:58 PM11/5/07
Erica Eshoo wrote:

it`s very good, the only news reader that hasn`t pissed me off.

I can tap M and it gets the next message that somebody else has written
This is the key feature i always wanted in a newsreader.

It also colour codes my posts.

To speed up download I just tell it to "get headers" and if I am
interested in a thread, I download the thread or just individual
messages.

I think after downloading from a newsgroup, it colour codes the
newsgroup if it has new posts in reply to mine. I just tap M and it
hones in on them.

badgolferman

Nov 5, 2007, 4:18:14 PM11/5/07

You know you can change all those keyboard shortcuts to whatever you
want, right? I have made mine the Function keys which makes more sense
to me.

Frank McCoy

Nov 5, 2007, 6:40:41 PM11/5/07
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:11:20 -0600, Frank McCoy wrote:
>>>- Archive with IZArc to replace WinZip
>> I use WinRar instead of WinZip
>
>I thought WinRar wasn't freeware? IZArc is freeware and is almost as good
>as WinRar in my humble opinion.

It isn't free. However, if you have a license for WinZip, I think the
same license will get you WinRar. Which makes me wonder why anybody
gets WinZip at all, or why WinZip doesn't have the same functionality as
WinRar?

>>>- Security with TrueCrypt to replace PGP
>> What's wrong with PGP?
>
>IMHO, in the olden days, PGP was fine; but nowadays - PGP tries to make you
>buy it so most of the stuff doesn't even work except the critical stuff.
>I'm tired of having an entire PGP Desktop program that has most of the
>buttons shut off. TrueCrypt has none of that and is truly freeware.

You can't get the older version?

>>>- Usenet with XNews to replace google groups
>> Agent or FreeAgent. MUCH better.
>Agent is a classic - but I thought it wasn't free any more. Is Agent free?
>And FreeAgent, I thought was advertiseware; so that's why I didn't install
>it myself. I must admit this list was from memory as I haven't tested the
>best freeware in a long time.

Agent and FreeAgent are now folded into one.
FreeAgent isn't just advertiseware, it's a complete and usable package.
It just doesn't have some of the *nicer* function of Agent.
Things like filters and less common encode/decode methods for binaries.

They distribute Agent; but when installing you can select FreeAgent; and
some of the more esoteric and less-used (but nice) functions don't work.

However, the main advantage of Agent or FreeAgent isn't those functions,
but the overall way the program runs. After using either for a while,
you begin to realize how CLUMSY all the others are in comparison.
That's why they distribute FreeAgent. After a while of using the thing,
a large portion of people decide they'd like the extras as well; but the
other free newsreaders just aren't as good as FreeAgent WITHOUT the
extras.

I'd rather run FreeAgent than about any of the other "completely free"
newsreaders, just for the way it handles multitasking. I don't have to
WAIT while the program get posts, downloads files, or does about 90% of
the other tasks in the background while I read and respond to other
stuff. I don't even have to *think* about such things if I set up my
default preferences right.

>>>- Convert avi to DVD with DVDFlick
>> Except for the price, AVS really covers that better than anybody else
>> I've found ... and believe me I *looked* really hard!
>
>I love DVDFlick. And, it's freeware. I do not know about AVS but all I do
>is slide an AVI file onto DVDFlick and it converts that AVI file to a
>properly sized DVD image and then burns that image to a DVD single-layer
>disk. IMHO, DVDFlick is a great piece of freeware!

With AVS video-converter I can read just about *any* supported video
file type, DivX, MPEG 1-4, AVI, Quicktime, or other format, and CONVERT
it to any of the others; either specifying the desired image-size, or
*keeping* the original size; and the same thing with the frame-rate! I
can cut-and-paste any part of the original picture to put in the new
one.

With their AVS video-editor or video-remaker (two separate programs that
do similar things with various changes in their user interfaces) I can
take not just one movie, but many, and combine them seamlessly into a
new whole; cutting and pasting and having the program automatically scan
for scene-changes ... the place where original cuts and splices cause
the most problems. This is *especially* helpful when you get something
like a movie from TV with commercials, or one already patched together
from several other pictures.

But it's the complete ability to read and convert *any* video format to
*any* other, not just AVI files, that makes it invaluable. Many
programs, including the "free" shit you get from Microsoft will handle
AVI files and write them to DVD ... But what if the stuff you get is in
DIVX or MPEG-4 format ... Or something even stranger like Iv5?

I have yet to find a format that I can get my system to read that AVS
converter won't fix so other programs will read and handle it.

My only complaint is that it's a bit pricey.
OTOH, being the *ONLY* software I've found so far that does the job ....

Well, I finally broke down, screamed fit to shake the house down, and
bought a copy. They also include the *whole* package, including gobs
and piles of useful stuff I never use (but you might) at the same price.

(One price fits all: You get *everything* for the same basic price.
However, they have *two* prices: One you get what you get. Two [higher]
you get free upgrades and stuff from then on. I got the slightly more
expensive one; though my first works *just fine*.)

>>>- AdAware, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot Search & Destroy for privacy
>> Get Bazooka Adware scanner to add to those.
>
>I never heard of Bazooka. I'll check it out. I use TrendMicro HouseCall
>most of the time as it catches at least one or two infections a week that
>the other guys don't.

As does Bazooka, I've found.
They don't upgrade as often and don't catch as many; but they *do* get
some others miss.

>> DivX and XVID, Aptiva Toolbox, BCwipe, CPU-Z, Memtest86+,
>> fonts, Xcalc or Xcalibur-32-bit, Rgh Extensions to Windows
>> Synctoy, TweakUI, Nistime-32bit, V (or V8) file-viewer
>> VIA 4-in-1 installer, Realtek AC-97 sound driver, DirectX installer
>> Having them ALL on a CD-ROM, and not having to spend *hours* downloading
>> them from the net, saves *so much* time!
>
>I love the idea of a separate install directory with a CDROM
>backup every once in a while. That would have saved LOTS of time
>for me.
>
>I'm not sure what some of your suggested programs are, so I'm going to
>have to study them ... especially "rgh", "synctoy", "realtek", "VIA",
>and "Aptiva".

Rgh additions, are useful extensions to the Windows Explorer. Missing
things like jumping to a directory or printing directory contents.

Synctoy is great for keeping directories synchronized.
I use it for backup. With that, a backup directory not only gets new
files, but old ones deleted or renamed as appropriate so the directories
match. You can do it one-way, both ways, or various controls placed on
who does what to whom. VERY useful.

The Via and Realtek drivers are if you have a VIA-chip based
motherboard. A large percentage of motherboards these days are.

The Aptiva Toolbox is a set of various programs.
I like Enditall; a *much* more convenient way of killing running
programs than Task Manager. You want Enditall-2.
I also like Startman.exe
It allows *much* more complete and useful control of what programs
automatically run on startup. The Aptiva Toolbox has several of those
programs; but as I said, I prefer startman. It provides the most
control at the expense of not having quite so slick an interface as some
of the others. With startman, you can disable a program on startup
temporarily or completely remove it. It automatically handles programs
started by the startup group, the various windows .INI files, and also
any in the registry startup keys; letting you know where they are
located, what they *say* they do, and where the actual program being run
is. You can then disable them temporarily; and if that seems OK after
several reboots, then remove them completely with all the editing being
done properly for you.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢

meow...@care2.com

Nov 5, 2007, 7:24:28 PM11/5/07
PeterC wrote:

> >> Foxit to replace Acrobat reader.

> > GREAT CATCH! I was wondering what to use to read the PDFs I created.
>
> I used to use Foxit (and still do for reading PDFs down;oaded via Opera,
> where I want justa quick view), but recently started using PDF-XChange
> Viewer as it can do a lot more and has tabs rathet than the new instances.
> It's a bit slower to open, but only abou 2 - 3s.

A lot's been said already, but a few more that have gotten little
mention so far:
* A decent txt editor: win32pad. It has colour schemes, making for
much more comfortable eyes.
* File manager: xplorer squared.
* Also MTexplorer: its horribly buggy, but 6 simultaneous panes can
be useful occasionally. But only occasionally, its a mess otherwise.
* 2 media players, one heavy, one light.
* LS to create a text file listing every file on the machine. Makes
for
ultrafast simple searches.
* Easymessage is simple lean no nonsense multiprotocol IM client.
BUT there is only one version that should be used, 2.3.663, others
are bad bad news.
* Spacemonger
* Crackup fragmentation reporter (dont remember if this does winnt
as well)
* Autoruns (sysinternals)
* "Unknown Devices" if you need drivers for pci devices
* Total Uninstall 2 is a must! Not 3 tho, thats $ware.

Theres plenty more, but those are the key ones.

NT

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 12:19:55 AM11/6/07
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 02:25:49 -0800, throwitout wrote:

> The Free version of Fab Decrypter only does 1:1 backups, most of the
> advanced features are disabled.

After further googling, it seems our basic freeware DVD backup toolkit is:

C:\My Installers\My DVD Rippers
- DVD Fab Decrypter (to rip those really hard ones)
- VobBlanker (to fix problems in those really hard ones)
- DVDShrink (to shrink the results to a DVD image)
- InfraRecorder (to burn the DVD image to a DVD disc)

An alternative, yet mostly equivalent toolkit could be:
- RipIt4Me (to rip using DVDDecrypter & FixVTS to fix)
- DVDShrink (to shrink the results to a DVD image)
- ImgBurn (to burn the DVD image to a DVD disc)

This is from my googling so I might have gotten the recommendations wrong.
Does this make any sense?

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 12:25:34 AM11/6/07
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:40:41 -0600, Frank McCoy wrote:

>>> What's wrong with PGP?
>>
>>IMHO, in the olden days, PGP was fine; but nowadays - PGP tries to make you
>>buy it so most of the stuff doesn't even work except the critical stuff.

> You can't get the older version?

I don't think so. IIRC, you can only get the latest bloatware.
This PGP, IIRC, phones home constantly, installs services that run all the
time, has 50% of the functionality turned off unless you pay, etc.

That's why I gave up on PGP.

Maybe someone who knows more than I can set the record straight.

Is PGP nowadays bloatware, baitnswitchware, or freeware?

BTW, maybe GnuPG is a proper alternative to TrueCrypt freeware for mounting
a secure disk?

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 12:26:51 AM11/6/07

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 12:35:24 AM11/6/07
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:38:26 GMT, Erica Eshoo wrote:

>>>- AdAware, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot Search & Destroy for privacy
>> Get Bazooka Adware scanner to add to those.

I don't think I like Bazooka.
It installed easily into c:\Added Programs\Spyware Removers\Bazooka but it
says the database is 123 days old no matter how many times I hit the update
button. When I press update, it says the database is already up to date yet
it clearly says on the same screen the database is 123 days old.

When I scan, it runs to completion in about 3 seconds (literally).

Something is fishy in bazooka.

pcbuilder98

Nov 6, 2007, 1:44:58 AM11/6/07
"Bear Bottoms" <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in message

Uninstaller for Vista? Are you saying Vista the king of bloatware has no
built in facility to remove software? YIKES!
pcbuilder98

meow...@care2.com

Nov 6, 2007, 4:27:02 AM11/6/07
pcbuilder98 wrote:
> "Bear Bottoms" <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:32:45 -0600, notaguru <notaguru...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm enjoying these valuable comments and taking notes --- this is a
> > > great thread!
> > >
> > > As a TBird and Firefox user, I back up the Profile folder for each. That
> > > eliminates the need for re-installing various gadgets and plugins.
> > >
> > > By the way, what is the best freeware uninstaller (for Vista)? I've been
> > > using Your Uninstaller ($) but welcome other ideas.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Gurus
> >
> > RevoUninstaller for general purpose (it's great)
> > http://www.revouninstaller.com/
> >
> > For snapshot before and after (occassionally)
> > http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4

> Uninstaller for Vista? Are you saying Vista the king of bloatware has no
> built in facility to remove software? YIKES!
> pcbuilder98

The win-all built in installer just links to the uninst file that
comes
with each app. In some cases these do what they say, but often
they dont. You need a proper before and after snapshot uninstaller
if you want to stop your registry becoming a disaster zone. Total
Uninstall 2 does the job pretty well (though the UI isnt too hot)

NT

meow...@care2.com

Nov 6, 2007, 4:44:20 AM11/6/07

some nice ones there. It brings up the question of launchers
though. IMLE with them, I find the win start menu is the best one
yet, if and only if you sort out the total mess it always starts out
as.
Create folders with category names such as words, security, dump,
system tools, graphics, net, media, search, file managers, and put
the useful shortcuts into them. Put all the other crp into 'dump.'
And there is a whole lot of it.

Having said that, winxp start menu is a real mess compared to the
win-dos one.

NT

throwitout

Nov 6, 2007, 6:05:41 AM11/6/07
On Nov 6, 5:44 am, meow2...@care2.com wrote:
> Erica Eshoo wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:24:28 -0800, meow2...@care2.com wrote:
> > This is FANTASTIC!
>
> >http://www.freewaregenius.com/2007/10/29/reinstall-windows-and-outfit...

> some nice ones there. It brings up the question of launchers
> though. IMLE with them, I find the win start menu is the best one
> yet, if and only if you sort out the total mess it always starts out
> as.
> Create folders with category names such as words, security, dump,
> system tools, graphics, net, media, search, file managers, and put
> the useful shortcuts into them. Put all the other crp into 'dump.'
> And there is a whole lot of it.
>
> Having said that, winxp start menu is a real mess compared to the
> win-dos one.
>
> NT

By Win-dos do you mean 9x? How is the Winxp menu any worse?

The Vista one is actually an improvement, and The Win3.1 program
manager was just a disaster.

wasbit

Nov 6, 2007, 8:07:28 AM11/6/07
Frank McCoy wrote :

> snip >

> However, if you have a license for WinZip, I think the
> same license will get you WinRar.

> big snip >

That's the first time I've ever heard that and I can't really believe it. Do you have any evidence to back up that
thought please?

wasbit

Nov 6, 2007, 8:11:28 AM11/6/07
Erica Eshoo wrote :

> I don't think I like Bazooka.
> It installed easily into c:\Added Programs\Spyware Removers\Bazooka but it
> says the database is 123 days old no matter how many times I hit the update
> button. When I press update, it says the database is already up to date yet
> it clearly says on the same screen the database is 123 days old.

> When I scan, it runs to completion in about 3 seconds (literally).
> Something is fishy in bazooka.

Bazooka - http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

Just ran mine (only do it when I remember) with no problems and yes it is so quick that you think that it hasn't done
anything (also see the faq - says 1 second with a Celeron 400Mhz/128mb ram). Get it to generate a log and scan again,
then you'll see what it has checked.
I seem to recall having the same update problem but can't remember how I resolved it. Either it was my firewall or I
downloaded a new copy and reinstalled after deleting the old - contrary to what it says on site, it doesn't show up in
my 'add or remove programmes' so I just deleted the containing folder.

wasbit

Nov 6, 2007, 8:12:53 AM11/6/07
Just to add another to your collection,

Regscrub XP - http://www.majorgeeks.com/Lexun_RegScrubXP_d2048.html
- Original site seems to no longer exist. Easy to use.
IMO, unlike some, causes no problems using the default settings. Better than the registry tool built into Ccleaner (
http://www.ccleaner.com ) but not as intensive as the more specialised registry cleaners.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 9:41:11 AM11/6/07
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 01:44:20 -0800, meow...@care2.com wrote:
> Having said that, winxp start menu is a real mess

The problem, IMHO, with Windows defaults are they are set by Microsoft and
idiots (including almost all, if not all, the manufacturers of software)
organize by the idiocy of company names.

Worse yet, everyone wants to be at the top level, whether it be your
desktop or your start menu.

Idiocy, sheer idiocy.

My solution is elegant, works well, and doesn't fight with the
company-name-at-the-top-level mess already set up by Microsoft by default.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 9:48:51 AM11/6/07
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 03:05:41 -0800, throwitout wrote:
> The Vista menu is actually an improvement, and The Win3.1 program

> manager was just a disaster.

I don't know anything about Vista.
How are the menus better?

What I do to combat Company-Name-At-The-Top-Level menus is the following
organizational scheme which works perfectly for me (but not as well for my
kids as they have to "buy into" my two-level hierarchy).

So, to simplify, the rule for my kids is "never put anything in a directory
that has spaces in the name". That effectively keeps them out of the
Microsoft-mandated mess in "Program Files", "My Documents", etc.

Then, I use that two-level hierarchy in four places:
a. Menus
b. Programs
c. Installers
d. SendTo

Does Vista help here?
In Vista, are there any directories-with-spaces-in-the-name which Microsoft
and other programs "put stuff"? If so, then they are useless. They will be
filled with crap no sooner than you first start using them.

What we need is a directory tree where only WE put the crap in them.
Then, and only then, will we have a hierarchy that makes sense, to us.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 9:54:04 AM11/6/07
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 01:27:02 -0800, meow...@care2.com wrote:

> Total Uninstall 2 does the job pretty well (though the UI isnt too hot)

I researched uninstallers just now and it seems these are the conclusions
(YMMV). Does Vista help with this?

Tentative googling Conclusion 1:
- Most uninstallers need to actively manage the install first.
- The only uninstaller that works after the fact is McAffee (not freeware)
- That means there is no freeware uninstaller that works after the install

Pensive googling Conclusion 2:
- Some recommend only install using the Windows Add/Install Wizard
- Most recommend using the program-supplied uninstall capability
- Then, after the uninstall, clean up the crap with CCleaner freeware or
similar

So, the question then becomes, assuming my googling has been correct:

WHAT are the best two or three (max) freeware registry and file crap
cleaners out there besides ccleaner freeware?

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 9:58:05 AM11/6/07
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:40:41 -0600, Frank McCoy wrote:
>>I thought WinRar wasn't freeware?
> It isn't free. However, if you have a license for WinZip ...

WinRar and WinZip are not free, but they are widely used.

This has always bothered me from a logical standpoint - but I don't know
enough to answer my own question (sad person that I am)...

May I ask:
What does either WinRar or WinZip payware do that IZArc freeware doesn't?

Erica Eshoo

Nov 6, 2007, 10:08:58 AM11/6/07
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:11:28 -0000, wasbit wrote:
> Bazooka - http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
> Just ran mine with no problems and yes it is so quick

I downloaded from the site you suggested.
This time, it seemed to update something because it started off saying the
database was 972 days old and now, after updating, it says the database is
current but in the window it says it's 124 days old. This is progress so
your version of bazooka you pointed me to works BETTER than wherever I got
it from initially.

Still, am I to infer that the "current" database is actually 124 days old?
Maybe I'm reading the information wrong.

Bazooka Scanner v1.13.03
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/
sup...@kephyr.com
Log created 07:04:34.
OS: Windows NT 5.1
Database version: 2.730000
Database format version: 1.020000
Database date: 20050314
Current date: 2007-11-06 07:01

Result when scanning:

No threats found.

Frank McCoy

Nov 6, 2007, 10:43:47 AM11/6/07

Generally, if you have the licence for either, it's a key-file in a ZIP
or RAR file. While running WinZip or WinRar, you click on either the
key file or the compressed file containing the key file.

If you don't have that key file on your drive somewhere, then you might
not be properly licensed. If you *lost* the key file, then contacting
winrar or winzip will get you a replacement.

(For WinRar, it's rarkey.rar containing rarreg.key)
I presume from that, that WinZip would have zipkey.zip containing
zipreg.key I guess you'd have to try doing one with the other.

pcbuilder98

Nov 6, 2007, 10:48:25 AM11/6/07
<meow...@care2.com> wrote in message

I agree. The fault lies with the uninstall file provided by the software.
RevoUninstaller is worth trying. I just couldn't resist kicking Vista.
pcbuilder98

pcbuilder98

Nov 6, 2007, 10:55:25 AM11/6/07
"Erica Eshoo" <evesu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

The best path is to fully research software before you install it and then
only install those programs you are certain you will use and keep. Trying
everything you find is a sure fire way to make your PC a disease infested
flea bag.
pcbuilder98

PeterC

Nov 6, 2007, 11:32:17 AM11/6/07

For zips, RARs etc. I use Universal Extractor. It's free and, by
experiment, I've found that it can extract to a sub-directory a working
app. Won't do this for MSI exes, but I'm running several things that were
installers of various sorts but I didn't 'install'. 'Uninstalling' is then,
in most cases, just deleting the directory. Worth checking the Reg. and
Docs and Settings.

Franklin

Nov 6, 2007, 11:36:30 AM11/6/07

A very good example of some very poor thinking.

There must be about 10 errors in that short posting.

meow...@care2.com

Nov 6, 2007, 5:38:37 PM11/6/07

Winzip was once in common use and is well known, however
freeware like 7-zip does it all, does it better, and with a much
better
UI.

NT

meow...@care2.com

Nov 6, 2007, 5:49:01 PM11/6/07
Erica Eshoo wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 01:27:02 -0800, meow...@care2.com wrote:
>
> > Total Uninstall 2 does the job pretty well (though the UI isnt too hot)

> I researched uninstallers just now and it seems these are the conclusions
> (YMMV). Does Vista help with this?

Theres no way windows can unless an automated before/after snapshot
system becomes part of win one day.

> Tentative googling Conclusion 1:
> - Most uninstallers need to actively manage the install first.
> - The only uninstaller that works after the fact is McAffee (not freeware)
> - That means there is no freeware uninstaller that works after the install

> Pensive googling Conclusion 2:
> - Some recommend only install using the Windows Add/Install Wizard
> - Most recommend using the program-supplied uninstall capability
> - Then, after the uninstall, clean up the crap with CCleaner freeware or
> similar
>
> So, the question then becomes, assuming my googling has been correct:

Snapshot uninstallers and afterwards uninstallers are 2 quite
different things. To imagine that all software comes with uninstall
utils that really do remove everything woul be wildly optimstic. Once
these 2 points are understood you'll see why there's no possible
way an afterwards only uninstaller of any kind can be safe or
effective.

> WHAT are the best two or three (max) freeware registry and file crap
> cleaners out there besides ccleaner freeware?

...hence this is a moot question.

NT

bealoid

Nov 7, 2007, 9:14:30 AM11/7/07
Erica Eshoo <evesu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:zj%Xi.2580$RR6.979
@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

[snip]

> May I ask:
> What does either WinRar or WinZip payware do that IZArc freeware doesn't?

I thought that WinRAR was the only software that could create rar archives.
But I could be wrong.

John Fitzsimons

Nov 7, 2007, 6:13:29 PM11/7/07
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:38:37 -0800, meow...@care2.com wrote:

< snip >

>Winzip was once in common use and is well known, however
>freeware like 7-zip does it all, does it better, and with a much
>better
>UI.

I don't think it does things better. With Winzip I can extract a
compressed file to a folder of the same name. Automatically.

With the GUI 7-zip approach AFAIK one has to manually put
the name of the folder if one wants it to be the same name
as the archive.

IMO tedious, very tedious.

Regards, John.

Anthony Matonak

Nov 7, 2007, 11:58:32 PM11/7/07
John Fitzsimons wrote:

> With the GUI 7-zip approach AFAIK one has to manually put
> the name of the folder if one wants it to be the same name
> as the archive.

I used Extract Now and it seems to do the folder thing OK.
http://www.extractnow.com/

Anthony

-Lost

Nov 8, 2007, 1:03:12 AM11/8/07
Response from John Fitzsimons <DELETEu...@sneakemail.com>:

Tools > Options > Plugins (tab) > 7-Zip (plug-in) > Options > System
(tab) >
"Extract to <Folder>"

Do you think it does things better now? ; )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost

Nov 8, 2007, 1:07:33 AM11/8/07
Response from bealoid <sig...@bealoid.co.uk>:

Nope, you're right.

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=21#9

I would say that there are some that exist, but as the FAQ entry
above hints they are not TRUE RAR/ACE archivers.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 8, 2007, 1:20:42 AM11/8/07
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:07:33 -0600, -Lost wrote:

>> WinRAR was the only software that could create rar archives

I think IZArc freeware can create RAR archives.
Its web page says it's the most complete archive utility available today,
freeware or not.

Here is what it says at http://www.izarc.org

IZArc is the ultimate freeware archive utility supporting many
archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA,
C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB,
LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ,
UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO. With a modern easy-to-use interface, IZArc
provides support for most compressed and encoded files, as well as access
to many powerful features and tools. It allows you to drag and drop files
from and to Windows Explorer, create and extract archives directly in
Windows Explorer, create multiple archives spanning disks, creating
self-extracting archives, repair damaged zip archives, converting from one
archive type to another, view and write comments and many more. IZArc has
also build-in multilanguage support.

With IZArc you can open CD image files like ISO, BIN, CDI and NRG. It is
also possible to convert such files from one type to another (BIN to ISO,
NRG to ISO).

If you need to send large files to your colleagues, friends or customers
who may not have archiving tool you can easily create self-extracting
archive that can be extracted by simple double click.

IZArc can be configured to run your preferred Anti-Virus scanner when you
open any archives.

IZArc supports 256-bit AES encryption to secure your data.

IZArc is integrated in Windows so you can perform all archiving operations
by using right-click menus in Windows Explorer.

If you have broken archives IZArc can help you to repair them with ease.

IZArc is 100% virus free and it doesn't contain any spyware or adware.

IZArc is the most complete archive utility available today.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 8, 2007, 1:20:48 AM11/8/07
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:58:32 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:

>> With the GUI 7-zip approach AFAIK one has to manually put
>> the name of the folder if one wants it to be the same name
>> as the archive.
>
> I used Extract Now and it seems to do the folder thing OK.
> http://www.extractnow.com/

For the record, IZArc freeware not only extracts the file to a folder of
any name, it chooses the most logical name and location automatically for
you ... and ... not only that - but it opens the resultant folder
automatically for you if you have that option checked.

What could be more convenient?

Certainly not WinZip or WinRAR in my humble experience.

Klaatu

Nov 8, 2007, 12:15:50 PM11/8/07
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:13:29 GMT, John Fitzsimons posted to
alt.comp.freeware:

> I don't think it does things better. With Winzip I can extract a
> compressed file to a folder of the same name. Automatically.
>
> With the GUI 7-zip approach AFAIK one has to manually put
> the name of the folder if one wants it to be the same name
> as the archive.
>
> IMO tedious, very tedious.

I can't stand the UI of 7-zip myself. It's been a while since I tried it,
but I could get it to do simple things that were a breeze with WinZip or
IZArc for that matter. I think I wanted to freshen the files in a 7-zip
archive but couldn't see how to do it. I try it now and again but each time
I'm put off by its horrible UI.

--
Can lactose intolerance eventually lead to lactose-related hate crimes?

-Lost

Nov 8, 2007, 2:33:04 PM11/8/07
Response from Erica Eshoo <evesu...@sbcglobal.net>:

> I think IZArc freeware can create RAR archives.
> Its web page says it's the most complete archive utility available
> today, freeware or not.
>
> Here is what it says at http://www.izarc.org

Support for a format does not mean that it can create said format.
Merely that it can extract or read RAR files. I am going to guess by
the site's title that it cannot create RAR files.

"IZArc - The Ultimate Archive Utility - Free Zip, Unzip, Unrar, 7-
Zip, ISO, BIN, compress, archive"

Notice it says "Unrar" and then goes on to use two generic terms,
"compress" and "archive."

Not to mention all the posts on the forum that illustrate that
creating RAR archives is not possible, only the reading of, and the
few I found said that it didn't even read it correctly -- dated as
new as two weeks ago.

And I consider this a lie:

"RAR, ARC, ARJ, ACE, LZH and etc. are older formats that provide both
grouping and compression, like Zip files.

IZArc does not use external programs when working with these files."

Since it has unrar3.dll sitting there -- which is a DLL provided by
RAR Lab.

And if you are still not convinced for some reason, IZArc states as a
matter of fact that it's default archive types are: ZIP, CAB, BH,
BZ2, GZIP, JAR, LHA, 7-ZIP, BGA, TAR, and YZ1.

The final verdict... it can create a file with the extension *.rar,
but it is NOT a real RAR file in the sense that the headers are not
RAR headers, it uses ZIP compression, specifically PKZIP signatures,
and is equivalent to me making a generic ZIP file and renaming it
RAR. Hell, I could rename it TXT if I wanted and a generic ZIP
utility would still be able to open it as long as it had generic ZIP
headers.

Not to mention this is the first compression archiver I have ever
seen that makes a compressed archive that is larger than the original
file and doesn't even include a recovery record, CRC check, et
cetera.

So just to be clear... it cannot create RAR files -- unless you say
it can based on the fact it can name a file with a *.rar extension.

Klaatu

Nov 8, 2007, 3:39:35 PM11/8/07
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:15:50 GMT, Klaatu posted to alt.comp.freeware:

> I can't stand the UI of 7-zip myself. It's been a while since I tried
> it, but I could get it to do simple things that were a breeze with
> WinZip or IZArc for that matter.

Oops, of course I meant "...but I could NOT get it to do simple things...".
Duh me.

--
Long live longevity!

John Fitzsimons

Nov 8, 2007, 4:32:03 PM11/8/07
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:03:12 -0600, "-Lost"
<maventhee...@techie.com> wrote:

>Response from John Fitzsimons <DELETEu...@sneakemail.com>:

>> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:38:37 -0800, meow...@care2.com wrote:

>> < snip >

>>>Winzip was once in common use and is well known, however
>>>freeware like 7-zip does it all, does it better, and with a much
>>>better
>>>UI.

>> I don't think it does things better. With Winzip I can extract a
>> compressed file to a folder of the same name. Automatically.

>> With the GUI 7-zip approach AFAIK one has to manually put
>> the name of the folder if one wants it to be the same name
>> as the archive.

>> IMO tedious, very tedious.

>> Regards, John.

>Tools > Options > Plugins (tab) > 7-Zip (plug-in) > Options > System
>(tab) >
>"Extract to <Folder>"

>Do you think it does things better now? ; )

No. I have that option ticked. I still cannot extract a compressed
file to a folder of the same name without manually putting in the name
of the folder (if using the GUI). I can with Winzip.

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

Nov 8, 2007, 4:32:03 PM11/8/07

Extracting a compressed file to a folder of the same name. Without
needing to manually put the name of the folder in.

< snip >

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

Nov 8, 2007, 4:32:03 PM11/8/07
<antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

>> With the GUI 7-zip approach AFAIK one has to manually put
>> the name of the folder if one wants it to be the same name
>> as the archive.

>I used Extract Now and it seems to do the folder thing OK.
>http://www.extractnow.com/

Yes, but AFAIK it doesn't do 7-zip extractions. :-(

Regards, John.

Anthony Matonak

Nov 8, 2007, 5:21:51 PM11/8/07
John Fitzsimons wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:58:32 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:
>
>> I used Extract Now and it seems to do the folder thing OK.
>> http://www.extractnow.com/
>
> Yes, but AFAIK it doesn't do 7-zip extractions. :-(

From the website...
: Supports ZIP, RAR, ISO, BIN, IMG, IMA, IMZ, 7Z, ACE, JAR, GZ, LZH,
: LHA, TAR, SIT archive formats

I don't know if 7Z is the same as 7-zip but it sounds close.

Anthony

-Lost

Nov 9, 2007, 12:09:55 AM11/9/07

Hrmm... if you are ABSOLUTELY positive then I have no clue. I have
the option to "Extract files" which prompts me for a name, "Extract
here" which dumps the contents in the folder where the archive
resides, and as soon as I enabled "Extract to <Folder>" I have an
entirely new context menu item that says for example: "Extract to
'treepad\'".

I'd make sure you have the latest version, have the correct option
checked, and make sure that you have the context menu enabled, and
then see whether or not you have something like "Extract to
'name_of_archive/'" available after that. If not, you could file a
report or bug, whatever. I would understand if you didn't though. I
cannot stand 7-Zip and only have it to create and modify BZ2, TAR,
and GZ archives.

I still wish I had a better BZ2, TAR, and GZ option though. For
example, a *.tar.gz that I did not have to create in two separate
steps.

Or one that handled *.tar.gz whilst also handling *.bz2 more
effectively.

Erica Eshoo

Nov 9, 2007, 1:36:43 AM11/9/07
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:32:03 +1100, John Fitzsimons wrote:

> I still cannot extract a compressed file to a folder of the
> same name without manually putting in the name
> of the folder (if using the GUI). I can with Winzip.

At the risk of belaboring the point, IZArc seems to do exactly what one
would want.

1) You double click on a compressed file
2) Unless you change something manually, it automatically extracts to a
folder inside the current folder with the same name as the file being
extracted, sans the "zip" extension, of course.
3) Then it opens up the explorer window inside that folder

No typing - just clicking.
Isn't that exactly what you'd want it to do?

Erica Eshoo

Nov 9, 2007, 1:41:29 AM11/9/07
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:33:04 -0600, -Lost wrote:
> IZArc is the first compression archiver I have ever
> seen that makes a compressed archive that is larger than the original
> file and doesn't even include a recovery record, CRC check, et
> cetera.

Oh my. Is that true?
Luckily I never use it to compress - only to decompress (and for that it
works wonderfully). But, what good is compression if it doesn't compress?

How do you know it creates a larger compressed file than the original?

> So just to be clear... IZArc cannot create RAR files -- unless you say

> it can based on the fact it can name a file with a *.rar extension.

If that is true, then I agree. A rar file should be whatever a rar file is
and not just a zip file with a rar extension. That's pretty sly to say it
creates rar files if what you say is true.

Can anyone else confirm IZArc creates rar files merely by renaming zip
files?

meow...@care2.com

Nov 9, 2007, 12:06:36 PM11/9/07
Erica Eshoo wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:33:04 -0600, -Lost wrote:

> > IZArc is the first compression archiver I have ever
> > seen that makes a compressed archive that is larger than the original
> > file and doesn't even include a recovery record, CRC check, et
> > cetera.
>
> Oh my. Is that true?
> Luckily I never use it to compress - only to decompress (and for that it
> works wonderfully). But, what good is compression if it doesn't compress?

Any compressor will do this if you tell it to compress an
uncompressable file into a self extracting format. It has to add the
self-extract code.

NT

-Lost

Nov 9, 2007, 4:17:18 PM11/9/07
Response from Erica Eshoo <evesu...@sbcglobal.net>:

> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:33:04 -0600, -Lost wrote:

>> IZArc is the first compression archiver I have ever
>> seen that makes a compressed archive that is larger than the
>> original file and doesn't even include a recovery record, CRC
>> check, et cetera.
>
> Oh my. Is that true?

I first tested on a few files that could not be compressed further
and in those cases it added to the overall size. A smarter utility
would have simply archived without adding more data.

> Luckily I never use it to compress - only to decompress (and for
> that it works wonderfully). But, what good is compression if it
> doesn't compress?

Exactly. In the above cases it should have archived instead of tried
to compress.

> How do you know it creates a larger compressed file than the
> original?

By comparing the overall byte size of the files and the resulting
compressed archive. In the case of several images (4 if I remember
correctly) it added 17KB to the size. On an entire directory of
images (200+ I believe) it added almost 8 megabytes.

It was able to compress data that could be compressed but it did it
with generic ZIP compression -- not RAR.

>> So just to be clear... IZArc cannot create RAR files -- unless
>> you say it can based on the fact it can name a file with a *.rar
>> extension.
>
> If that is true, then I agree. A rar file should be whatever a rar
> file is and not just a zip file with a rar extension. That's
> pretty sly to say it creates rar files if what you say is true.

In fairness, I don't see anywhere where it says it CAN create RAR's.
Only that it supports them which is fair to say since it can
decompress them (with the aid of RAR Lab's UnRAR DLL).

> Can anyone else confirm IZArc creates rar files merely by renaming
> zip files?

To avoid confusion (and possible flames), I do not know if its EXACT
method is to create a ZIP then rename it to RAR -- I am saying that
it creates a generic ZIP file with a RAR extension.

Not too much difference but there are those who would argue
semantics.

One way you can verify this yourself is by creating a RAR file and
then actually using WinRAR to create a RAR file.

You'll notice that IZArc's RAR has the header "PK" whereas the true
RAR file will have the header "Rar!"

-Lost

Nov 9, 2007, 4:19:45 PM11/9/07
Response from meow...@care2.com:

And so the issue is not confused, I did not create a self-extracting
archive. I am talking about a plain old vanilla compressed archive
(which is what I said initially).

Also, in my tests and experience the "self extract code" does not
increase simply because the size of the files being compressed
increases.

throwitout

Nov 10, 2007, 1:00:31 PM11/10/07
On Nov 7, 10:14 am, bealoid <sig...@bealoid.co.uk> wrote:
> Erica Eshoo <evesunf...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:zj%Xi.2580$RR6.979

True. However Tugzip (which has full support of Zip, 7-zip, etc)
includes unrar support. And you can drop in rar.exe from a rar
installation and get compression support. The shareware WinRAR will
work, and it won't give any nag screens. Of course this is all
strictly hypothetical since using any part of WinRAR past the 30 day
trial is against the agreement.

Susan Bugher

Nov 19, 2007, 10:16:22 PM11/19/07
Erica Eshoo wrote:

>>>IMHO, in the olden days, PGP was fine; but nowadays - PGP tries to make you
>>>buy it so most of the stuff doesn't even work except the critical stuff.

>>You can't get the older version?

> I don't think so. IIRC, you can only get the latest bloatware.

Older versions are available from various sources. . .

Program: PGP Freeware (was Pretty Good Privacy) (PGP)
Company: PGP Corporation
Author: Phil Zimmermann (original author)
Ware: (Liteware) (free for personal use/ non-commercial use) LFW (v 8.1)
last version without bundlng
http://www.izmiran.ru/pub/windows/security/PGP810-PF-W.zip

> This PGP, IIRC, phones home constantly, installs services that run all the
> time, has 50% of the functionality turned off unless you pay, etc.
>
> That's why I gave up on PGP.
>
> Maybe someone who knows more than I can set the record straight.
>
> Is PGP nowadays bloatware, baitnswitchware, or freeware?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware