Walmart

b...@coolgroups.com

Jul 21, 2007, 3:21:51 AM7/21/07
I was wondering if anyone knows if Walmart has an official policy for
dealing with people who go in the 10 item or less lane with 50 or so
items. I always get stuck behind these people, and the cashiers just
check them out as if nothing was wrong.

Ward Abbott

Jul 21, 2007, 7:26:31 AM7/21/07

I don't think so...but damn...they should program their registers to
ring up twenty items....and then the register is forced to total out
and not accept any further item.

Michael Black

Jul 21, 2007, 7:53:08 AM7/21/07
And how is this a FRUGAL issue?

Take it to misc.consumers where it at least belongs.

Michael

WaterBoy

Jul 21, 2007, 10:49:35 AM7/21/07
.
in Nevada Walmarts,
annyone caught "over-item-buying" in the 10-20 item lane
receives the death penalty

waterboy

Don K

Jul 21, 2007, 10:58:04 AM7/21/07
"Ward Abbott" <pre...@terian.com> wrote in message

And then have to go back to the end of the line with the rest.
Of course that sounds a lot like the various immigration bills.
It's nice to fantasize, but unlikely that such things will ever happen.

Don

<RJ>

Jul 21, 2007, 2:27:12 PM7/21/07
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:58:04 -0400, "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote:

>"Ward Abbott" <pre...@terian.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I don't think so...but damn...they should program their registers to
>> ring up twenty items....and then the register is forced to total out
>> and not accept any further item.
>>

>And then have to go back to the end of the line with the rest.
>Of course that sounds a lot like the various immigration bills.
>It's nice to fantasize, but unlikely that such things will ever happen.
>
>Don

If you use the immigration analogy,
the customer hides out for five minutes,
then gets his grocerys for free !!

<rj>

Shawn Hirn

Jul 21, 2007, 6:11:21 PM7/21/07
In article <1185002511.8...@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
b...@coolgroups.com wrote:

Contact Wal-Mart HQ and ask.

Roger Shoaf

Jul 22, 2007, 12:33:42 AM7/22/07

<b...@coolgroups.com> wrote in message

Why don't you say to the person in front of you that since you have 10 items
or less do you mind if you could cut in front of them as you do have 10
items or less and this is the 10 items or less lane.

That should get the attention of the discourteous person. I suspect the
cashiers are instructed to ignore the customers that do not pay attention to
the sign.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Don K

Jul 22, 2007, 8:15:06 AM7/22/07
"Roger Shoaf" <sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote in message

> Why don't you say to the person in front of you that since you have 10 items
> or less do you mind if you could cut in front of them as you do have 10
> items or less and this is the 10 items or less lane.

Has that tactic ever actually worked for you?
From what I've seen, people become very defensive when it's pointed out
they're doing something wrong. Often they turn it around and make it out
like you're the rude one for complaining.

> That should get the attention of the discourteous person. I suspect the
> cashiers are instructed to ignore the customers that do not pay attention to
> the sign.

That's true at all stores, not just Walmart. If they can get 90% compliance
without any enforcement effort at all, that's probably good enough for them.

The thing to do if you want to change that is to talk to the manager after you
go thru the line and suggest they take down the limit signs if they're not
going to enforce them.

Don

George

Jul 22, 2007, 8:42:01 AM7/22/07
But they can't do that since "the customer is always right".

Ward Abbott

Jul 22, 2007, 9:15:48 AM7/22/07
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:42:01 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>But they can't do that since "the customer is always right".

No...they are NOT always right. Being a jerk doesn't make you right.

Logan Shaw

Jul 22, 2007, 11:19:58 AM7/22/07

Yabbut doesn't Wal*Mart already have a stated policy of going easy on some
shoplifters[1]? Looks like they've modified the policy a bit[2], but
still, if they don't prosecute first-time shoplifters who steal less
than $25, are they really going to enforce the 10-item limit in the
express lanes?

Also, as long as I'm asking questions, do we really need to have *quite*
so many threads about Wal*Mart here in m.c.f-l? :-)

- Logan

[1] http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06221/712055-294.stm
[2] http://www.kpho.com/money/13667706/detail.html

Parallax

Jul 22, 2007, 12:11:49 PM7/22/07

Then if the person in front of me has twice as many items as the
checkout allows, I should be allowed to get out of line, go straight to
the exit, discount the items myself and hand a couple bucks to the
greeter as payment on my way out. I am the customer, how could I be wrong?

--

Replace '???????' with 'hotmail' to e-mail me.

Don Klipstein

Jul 22, 2007, 1:23:11 PM7/22/07
In article <46a3759e$0$4720$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, Logan Shaw wrote:
>Ward Abbott wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:42:01 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But they can't do that since "the customer is always right".
>>
>> No...they are NOT always right. Being a jerk doesn't make you right.
>
>Yabbut doesn't Wal*Mart already have a stated policy of going easy on some
>shoplifters[1]? Looks like they've modified the policy a bit[2], but
>still, if they don't prosecute first-time shoplifters who steal less
>than $25, are they really going to enforce the 10-item limit in the
>express lanes?
>
>Also, as long as I'm asking questions, do we really need to have *quite*
>so many threads about Wal*Mart here in m.c.f-l? :-)

1. They have lower prices than most other places that sell the same
stuff. That sure sounds on-topic to me!

2. They have been widely accused of decreasing the incomes of retail
workers in the areas that they move into. If someone has to make do with
less, that sounds to me on-topic for this group! So does debate as to
whether this is true or not.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Jul 22, 2007, 1:29:52 PM7/22/07

I have seen some supermarkets in low class areas near where I live where
compliance appears to me to be a lot less than 90%. I did tell the
manager of one of them that I am now shopping much less at his and much
more at one of his competitors mainly because of checkout line issues
including that one. The other main checkout line issue was checkout line
duration. (True!)

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Tim Smith

Jul 22, 2007, 2:15:06 PM7/22/07
In article <slrnfa750...@manx.misty.com>,

d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
> including that one. The other main checkout line issue was checkout line
> duration. (True!)

I've occasionally seen at some stores where they have sped up the line a
bit by starting to scan the items from the next person, while the
current person is writing their check. Apparently, many modern checkout
systems have the ability to start ringing up the next customer while
waiting to finish the transaction with the previous customer.

This has never been consistent. It seems that most of the people
running the registers either don't know about this capability, or just
don't want to bother with it.

--
--Tim Smith

George

Jul 22, 2007, 2:48:57 PM7/22/07

It would be welcomed at Walmart. People can drag in obviously trashed
power tools after they did a project and claim they were defective etc
and be welcomed with open arms.

That kind of stupid thinking has really changed the way people think. A
relative manages an shop that sells upscale products. She often tells me
about how rude and demanding (to the point of being ridiculous)
customers have become because of Walmart.

The Real Bev

Jul 22, 2007, 4:52:55 PM7/22/07
Don K wrote:

> "Roger Shoaf" <sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Why don't you say to the person in front of you that since you have 10 items
>> or less do you mind if you could cut in front of them as you do have 10
>> items or less and this is the 10 items or less lane.
>
> Has that tactic ever actually worked for you?
> From what I've seen, people become very defensive when it's pointed out
> they're doing something wrong. Often they turn it around and make it out
> like you're the rude one for complaining.
>
>> That should get the attention of the discourteous person. I suspect the
>> cashiers are instructed to ignore the customers that do not pay attention to
>> the sign.

I'm sure they are. I asked one once.

> That's true at all stores, not just Walmart. If they can get 90% compliance
> without any enforcement effort at all, that's probably good enough for them.
>
> The thing to do if you want to change that is to talk to the manager after you
> go thru the line and suggest they take down the limit signs if they're not
> going to enforce them.

No. As soon as you see somebody ahead of you with more than 10 items start
yelling for the manager. Don't be shushed. Explain loudly why you need to
speak to a manager NOW. Over and over again. Point to the offender with 12
items. Don't stop until you speak with a manager. Do it every single time
you need to.

Yeah, it might be embarrassing (or possibly fun), but it might also cause
the offender to get out of line or convince management that they really
should eject similar offenders. Either is a good outcome.

If there isn't an open line I use the autocheckout machines. Not as fast as
a regular checkstand, but faster than having to wait for one other person to
check out. I hate the machine's sweetly reasonable female voice; there
should be various options, perhaps a dominatrix who says "Put your
merchandise into the sack, you miserable worm, and be quick about it."

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special

The Real Bev

Jul 22, 2007, 4:56:53 PM7/22/07
Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <slrnfa750...@manx.misty.com>,
> d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
>> including that one. The other main checkout line issue was checkout line
>> duration. (True!)
>
> I've occasionally seen at some stores where they have sped up the line a
> bit by starting to scan the items from the next person, while the
> current person is writing their check. Apparently, many modern checkout
> systems have the ability to start ringing up the next customer while
> waiting to finish the transaction with the previous customer.

Costco does this sometimes during rush hour -- a guy with a hand-held
scanner goes down the queue. Doesn't seem to make a mistake.

> This has never been consistent. It seems that most of the people
> running the registers either don't know about this capability, or just
> don't want to bother with it.

Why should they care? They're paid by the hour no matter how many customers
they process. If they cared about such things they'd qualify for a REAL job.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

teleflora

Jul 22, 2007, 6:19:59 PM7/22/07
Are you kidding? I've had clerks wave me into their line when it's obvious
I've got more than the "allowable".

I don't think they care. I think it's more of a suggestion than anything
else.

Cindy

arkienurse

Jul 22, 2007, 6:47:46 PM7/22/07

"teleflora" <tele...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Are you kidding? I've had clerks wave me into their line when it's
> obvious I've got more than the "allowable".
>
> I don't think they care. I think it's more of a suggestion than anything
> else.
>
> Cindy

Me too. On 2 separate occasions when I obviously had my buggy full, and was
already standing in the regular line I have had express lane checkers come
and get me to go in their line.

Vicky

Beeblebrox

Jul 22, 2007, 8:33:32 PM7/22/07

lately the self-checks are always busy, with people who have lots of
stuff, and no idea how to work the machines. Annoying to have to go back
to the inept cashier as the best option around

Don K

Jul 22, 2007, 8:42:58 PM7/22/07
"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Don K wrote:

> If there isn't an open line I use the autocheckout machines. Not as fast as a regular
> checkstand, but faster than having to wait for one other person to check out. I hate
> the machine's sweetly reasonable female voice; there should be various options, perhaps
> a dominatrix who says "Put your merchandise into the sack, you miserable worm, and be
> quick about it."

I like to choose the Espanol option to brush up on my conversational skills.
mover tu plátano a la correa

Don

Don Klipstein

Jul 22, 2007, 11:35:24 PM7/22/07
In article <swPoi.31$QR...@newsfe05.lga>, The Real Bev wrote:
>Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <slrnfa750...@manx.misty.com>,
>> d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
>>> including that one. The other main checkout line issue was checkout line
>>> duration. (True!)
>>
>> I've occasionally seen at some stores where they have sped up the line a
>> bit by starting to scan the items from the next person, while the
>> current person is writing their check. Apparently, many modern checkout
>> systems have the ability to start ringing up the next customer while
>> waiting to finish the transaction with the previous customer.
>
>Costco does this sometimes during rush hour -- a guy with a hand-held
>scanner goes down the queue. Doesn't seem to make a mistake.
>
>> This has never been consistent. It seems that most of the people
>> running the registers either don't know about this capability, or just
>> don't want to bother with it.
>
>Why should they care? They're paid by the hour no matter how many customers
>they process. If they cared about such things they'd qualify for a REAL job.

Supermarket cashiers do get evaluated routinely on basis of items per
minute and customers per hour. Cashiers who routinely by any substantial
margin fail to do what other cashiers can will get replaced somehow or
another. Any supermarkets that don't do this will be at a serious
competitive disadvantage to those who do.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Jul 22, 2007, 11:47:52 PM7/22/07
In article <a9SdnZtuEIJoOD7b...@comcast.com>, George wrote:
>Ward Abbott wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:42:01 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But they can't do that since "the customer is always right".
>>
>> No...they are NOT always right. Being a jerk doesn't make you right.
>
>It would be welcomed at Walmart. People can drag in obviously trashed
>power tools after they did a project and claim they were defective etc
>and be welcomed with open arms.

As I have heard it, Walmart sends the abused merchandise to suppliers as
defective. The suppliers have to eat these returns in order to continue
selling through Walmart.

As tough as Walmart is on payroll, they are also tough on suppliers.
One example: Google for: WalMart Vlassic Pickle

Top hits accuse WalMart as being why we no longer have Vlassic Pickles.

Other stuff I heard before: You supply a widget to WalMart, and a year
or two later WM says they expect a price drop from you. As in you have to
cut your price, replace your product with an improved version for similar
price, or sell your widgets only by means other than through WM.
I have even heard of consultants that advise product makers on how to
deal with Wal-Mart.

>That kind of stupid thinking has really changed the way people think. A
>relative manages an shop that sells upscale products. She often tells me
>about how rude and demanding (to the point of being ridiculous)
>customers have become because of Walmart.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Jul 23, 2007, 12:33:15 AM7/23/07

What I often see:

4 self-checkout machines watched by one human staffer trying to do a few
jobs at least 2, including security guard as well as customer technical
support. And that staffer appears to me in my experience and "wisdom" to
get that job by knowing checkout scanners and checkout operations and
having some ability to guide others in that process while being slower
than others at doing so himself/herself (faster people get to be the
cashiers).

So I have/had to deal with a slow cashier assisting those ahead of me
and assisting me when I had issues with the self-checkout stations, while
being slowed further by also having to keep on guard as a security guard.

So, when the lines aren't too bad, I let the pros staffing only one
checkout station each do the work, and I shop where the lines are shorter.

I suspect a job opportunity here: (Warning - roughly 2 pages, a bit
ranting!) Pick a supermarket to be your main one, and use and get to know
the self-checkout stations. Get good at it. Get good and fast at it -
for common tasks of retail workers, a job done well is still not worth
doing by you if you can't do it fast and someone else can.
Get to know the staffer or the usual staffers of the self-checkout area.
Get to know a couple or a few others at the same supermarket if you can -
best done if you know when they can spare a minute or two which they often
can't.
Next: Think of a good answer for "Why do you want to work for us?".
Think of an answer using positive terms of your prospective employer, as
opposed to negative terms for your current/previous employer. Employers
tend to prefer to hire those who don't trash their bosses.
After that: Fill out the job application. It will usually have a space
for reason to leave a past job. If you were fired or you just quit, say
so in 1 word - you could get fired for failure to admit that. Don't tell
a story, not even reason for firing/quitting in 10 words or less - someone
who has a story to tell for reason of changing jobs is generally regarded
by prospective employers as less desirable than someone who simply admits
to being fired or up-and-quitted.
The best 2-word reason-for-leaving previous job is "laid off", and if
you are in a job that you are dying to leave it can help if you can
negotiate being laid off rather than quitting or being fired. If such
negotiations don't fare well or if you are not up to that and/or have
expectation of bad outcome of such, then just quit (maybe a better word is
"resign").

The job application may request references. It is a good idea to be
known to employees of your prospective employer. Other than that,
business owners are good for you to know and to be known by as a good
person, since a prospective employer is likely to be a business owner or
answerable to one. After that, it appears to me that neighbors rank above
friends and coworkers of previous jobs, though coworkers of the job you
are leaving I find better than no references at all.

Traditionally, successful prospective employees dress more highly at a
job interview than is usually required at the job. In my experience, most
male supermarket employees wear slacks, a dress shirt and a tie with low
visible presence of tatoos and "body hardware". I would suspect they went
through their interviews with "real shoes" and maybe a blazer or suit
jacket and less-casual slacks. I have not paid as much attention as to
what women should wear in such job interviews, though I suspect women need
to dress "similarly professionally" for interviews and to consider what
women who got hired for such jobs are wearing and to be "a step more
professionally dressed" for the interview.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Jul 23, 2007, 12:40:02 AM7/23/07
In article <CKQoi.599$hs1...@newsfe13.lga>, teleflora wrote:
>Are you kidding? I've had clerks wave me into their line when it's obvious
>I've got more than the "allowable".
>
>I don't think they care. I think it's more of a suggestion than anything
>else.

Do thay have a shortage of qualifying customers while facing pressure to
maintain item-per-minute and customer-per-hour figures?

If a cashier is under a sign restricting against some customers and that
causes the cashier to get a shortage of work (and I hardly ever see that)
and the cashier invites you (non-qualifying), then I say by all means
accept the invitation of the cashier over restriction of the sign! If the
express lane cashiers find some need to do that and still have express
lane wait times much shorter than wait time of non-express checkout lanes,
then I say more power to cashiers that can successfully take on the job of
directing traffic in addition to their usual jobs!

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)