Air filters, HEPA filters, HEPA purifiers

david...@aol.com

Aug 23, 2008, 5:22:35 AM8/23/08

The question is, do air filters work? We have a one-room basement
apartment in our home, where, alas, the dust gathers in copious
quantities, at least compared to upstairs. Would a good air filter or
air purifier essentially remove the dust from the atmosphere? Which
filter or purifier do you recommend?

-david gable

Rod Speed

Aug 23, 2008, 5:39:12 AM8/23/08
david...@aol.com wrote:

> The question is, do air filters work?

Nope.

> We have a one-room basement apartment in our home, where, alas, the
> dust gathers in copious quantities, at least compared to upstairs. Would a
> good air filter or air purifier essentially remove the dust from the atmosphere?

Not if thats all you do.

> Which filter or purifier do you recommend?

None of them.

I have found that fully air conditioned rooms do eliminate the dust problem.

Rather an expensive fix tho.

Why does the dust matter ?

Bill

Aug 23, 2008, 8:20:59 AM8/23/08
HEPA is the best. You can get HEPA air cleaners at Walmart for an "arm"
(instead of an arm and a leg). The larger models are more quiet.

Al Bundy

Aug 23, 2008, 10:13:17 AM8/23/08

There is no hope unless you are willing to address the whole home
environment.
I have a friend who is like the neat freak in the Odd Couple show. The
guy keeps nothing that is not being used. There are no carpets. All
the floors are finished wood. The furniture is wood or leather. He
cleans constantly. I took his six year old computer tower apart and
there was no dust. The fan blades were clean black plastic. I have
never seen such a thing before except in the clean rooms of
pharmaceutical labs. If you are not crazy or willing to spend a
fortune, just do what you can to avoid the dust producers and enjoy
life.

JR Weiss

Aug 23, 2008, 2:48:11 PM8/23/08
<david...@aol.com> wrote in message...

You'll need a whole-house unit that goes in the ductwork of your
heating/air-conditioning unit. The old Honeywell electrostatic ones were good
in their day, but are expensive. There are models with HEPA filters, too.

You will have to clean the whole house first (with vacuum cleaners that have
HEPA filters) to eliminate what is there already, and keep doors & windows
closed.

Dave

Aug 24, 2008, 3:45:44 AM8/24/08

<david...@aol.com> wrote in message

Do air filters work? It depends on your house, how airtight you keep it.
If you've got copious amounts of dust, you probably have a problem large
enough that an air filter would not work.

However, if you close off one room in the UPSTAIRS, a Honeywell brand HEPA
air purifier works pretty good. Good enough that someone with seasonal
allergies might be able to go without his meds, or take them less often.

If you are shopping for a air purifier, there is one word you need to
familiarize yourself with: CADR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Delivery_Rate
If you study CADR for a while, and see how a good Honeywell HEPA purifier
works, you'll understand why the fanless air purifiers can't possibly work
as well as they claim to. That is, the fanless ones (Ionic breeze?) might
remove lots of really small stuff from the air that contacts the cleaning
surfaces...but they aren't processing enough air that it matters. -Dave