Freezer Bags - Any Difference?

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Nov 19, 2007, 2:28:12 AM11/19/07
With a recent surplus from my vegetable garden, I have started
freezing stuff. Spinach, leeks, broccoli, etc.

These will be consumed within a couple of months.

I bought "Glad" brand bags, which claim, "Moisture Proof and
Non-Stick." But I noticed a store brand of bags that is much
cheaper.

Is there really any difference? Or should I just choose based on
price?

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Brian Elfert

Nov 19, 2007, 11:02:43 AM11/19/07
Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG <Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> writes:

>With a recent surplus from my vegetable garden, I have started
>freezing stuff. Spinach, leeks, broccoli, etc.

>These will be consumed within a couple of months.

>I bought "Glad" brand bags, which claim, "Moisture Proof and
>Non-Stick." But I noticed a store brand of bags that is much
>cheaper.

>Is there really any difference? Or should I just choose based on
>price?

Our scout troop uses freezer bags to cook scrambled eggs in boiling water.
I bought the last batch of freezer bags at Aldi and they melted.

I don't know if this has any relationship to how they work in the freezer,
but the brand name freezer bags don't melt.

Ron Peterson

Nov 19, 2007, 11:34:01 AM11/19/07
On Nov 19, 1:28 am, Usenet2...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG <Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote:

> I bought "Glad" brand bags, which claim, "Moisture Proof and
> Non-Stick." But I noticed a store brand of bags that is much
> cheaper.

> Is there really any difference? Or should I just choose based on
> price?

There may be a difference in thickness and the type of plastic (you
want polyethylene).

--
Ron

Brian Mailman

Nov 19, 2007, 1:17:24 PM11/19/07
Brian Elfert wrote:

> Our scout troop uses freezer bags to cook scrambled eggs in boiling
> water.

I can't find the site or reference, but I don't believe that making
"omelets" or scrambled eggs in that manner is considered safe (although
a couple years ago it was quite trendy). I do remember it was a
credible source and not one promoting a certain agenda.

B/

Anthony Matonak

Nov 19, 2007, 3:45:03 PM11/19/07

Oven bags might work better. :)

Anthony

Kathi Jones

Nov 19, 2007, 4:16:06 PM11/19/07

"Brian Mailman" <bmai...@sfo.invalid> wrote in message

I'm with you Brian - I saw the same info.....I'll try to find it and post
again,

Kathi

Kathi Jones

Nov 19, 2007, 4:19:51 PM11/19/07

"Ron Peterson" <r...@shell.core.com> wrote in message

the kids use freezer bags as 'note totes' for school. Because the teachers
want 5 bags, I buy the cheaper ones. They are way thinner than the original
zip lock ones. I'd say for 'brief' storage, the no name ones are good - for
'longer' storage, get the Glad brand.

How long is 'brief' and 'long'? I guess that's up to the individual. I've
been using the store brand (no name) bags for muffins for about a month and
so far so good.......

what each bag is made of, I have no idea, but I've read that cooking in them
is not safe

Kathi

Kathi Jones

Nov 19, 2007, 4:37:24 PM11/19/07

"Brian Mailman" <bmai...@sfo.invalid> wrote in message

I just went to the ziplock site and read their faq http://www.ziploc.com/

seems their plastic is safe in the microwave....I didn't see anything about
boiling in the bag

Kathi

Shaun Eli

Nov 19, 2007, 5:07:28 PM11/19/07
Somebody (Consumer Reports or Chef's Illustrated or some other group)
recently tested them and said that the ones that close with pressure
(there's three lines, two on one side and one on the other and you zip
them closed by pushing along the lines) all worked fine, but the ones
with an actual zipper didn't work as well because at the end of the
zipper there was a little space where air could get in or liquids
could leak out.

I've used store brands and name brands to freeze stuff in and haven't
found any difference although the more expensive ones are generally
thicker.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Connie TenClay

Nov 19, 2007, 5:55:37 PM11/19/07
There has been a lot of discussion about if you can cook/micro/boil in
plastic zip type bags. I have heard differing ideas on this. there is
a Web site http://www.freezerbagcooking.com in which they make meals
with boiling water added to dehydrated food for camping, etc. on this
site he addresses the cooking in plastic and has a link to another site
http://www.plasticsmythbuster.org/rumors.asp that deals with this.
I have no problem doing the scrambled eggs or using bags in the micro,
or boiling-- see above site.

That said each person has to make their own determination on using
plastic that way or not. People are sensitive to different things and
what might not bother me might be a big problem for someone else.

Connie TC

Julie Bove

Nov 20, 2007, 12:55:11 AM11/20/07

<Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote in message

> With a recent surplus from my vegetable garden, I have started
> freezing stuff. Spinach, leeks, broccoli, etc.
>
> These will be consumed within a couple of months.
>
> I bought "Glad" brand bags, which claim, "Moisture Proof and
> Non-Stick." But I noticed a store brand of bags that is much
> cheaper.
>
> Is there really any difference? Or should I just choose based on
> price?

The only difference I've found is sometimes in the seal. Some seem to seal
better than others and it isn't always the National brands that are good. I
generally buy the cheapest bags.

Brian Mailman

Nov 20, 2007, 1:36:04 AM11/20/07

I found it (on ask.com, "food safety eggs boiling bags"):

http://douglas-sarpy.unl.edu/foods/200607_safety.shtml

Might be somewhat out of date, because ads for "microwave steaming bags"
came up as well.

B/

Derric

Nov 20, 2007, 11:15:34 AM11/20/07

There is likely a difference between the various bags regarding what
"plasticizers" are used in the plastic. Plasticizers are why some
plastic products are not to be used in the microwave and are probably
the "chemicals" that the posted URL article mentions as being a possible
problem.

Derric

Ron Peterson

Nov 20, 2007, 1:37:15 PM11/20/07
On Nov 19, 3:19 pm, "Kathi Jones" <kat...@storm.ca> wrote:

> what each bag is made of, I have no idea, but I've read that cooking in them
> is not safe

http://www.thegreenguide.com/reports/product.mhtml?id=44&sec=3 says
that the following products are OK:
BestYet Clear Plastic Wrap

Bell Brand Athletic Squeeze Bottles (colors) Brita Fill & Go Water
Filtration Bottle

Glad Cling Wrap

Glad Food Storage Bags

Glad Freezer Bags

Glad-Lock Bags

Glad Sandwich Bags

Hefty Baggies

Hefty OneZip Slider Bags

Saran Cling Plus

Ziploc Bags

Ziplock Double Guard Freezer Bags

--
Ron

Kathi Jones

Nov 20, 2007, 6:36:27 PM11/20/07

"Ron Peterson" <r...@shell.core.com> wrote in message

thanks for the break-down Ron. I was sure that if anyone wanted to go to
the trouble, they could find out about each individual brand and bag. Looks
like you found it for us,

Kathi