A CHOCOLATE MESS

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jan 29, 2008, 4:21:17 PM1/29/08
Shouldn't chocolate contain, you know... chocolate? By which I mean cocoa
butter
and solids, derived from the cacao tree, which the dictionary specifically
says
is "the source of chocolate."
No, says Hershey, Nestle, and other industrial candy makers that are
petitioning
the Food and Drug Administration to let them blatantly lie to us consumers
about
what's in their confections. They want to be able to use no chocolate at
all –
instead substituting artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated and
chemically-modified
vegetable fats, and other artificial ingredients – yet still get to call
their
product "chocolate." You don't have to be a chocoholic to see that this is a
raw
deal.

more here:

http://www.jimhightower.com/node/6126

Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

Jan 29, 2008, 8:15:51 PM1/29/08
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> what's in their confections. They want to be able to use no chocolate at
> all – instead substituting artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated and
> chemically-modified vegetable fats, and other artificial ingredients –
>yet still get to call their product "chocolate." You don't have to be a
> chocoholic to see that this is a raw deal.
>
> more here:
>
> http://www.jimhightower.com/node/6126

Oooh, Jim Hightower, author of "Eat Your Heart Out," a book I thoroughly
enjoyed reading about how big corporations rip you off when you are
buying food. I had no idea he had a web site -- it's getting bookmarked
asap!

George Grapman

Jan 29, 2008, 9:03:13 PM1/29/08

A local NPR station here carries his daily commentaries. On his site
you can get them emailed to you each week in both written and audio formats.

George Grapman

Jan 29, 2008, 10:05:19 PM1/29/08

PS- You can hear it daily at 7:49 a.m. PT on kalw.org