Freezing Salami?

Usene...@the-domain-in.sig

Aug 9, 2007, 3:02:34 AM8/9/07
Hi, everybody,

When my local supermarket has sales on bagged frozen veggies, I
stock up. So I have about a month's worth in the freezer.

But, I was noticing the periodic sales on salami and similar type
meat.

Can they be frozen, with reasonable quality on thawing? For
example, a 300 gram salami, which would be consumed over a week
or two, after being transferred to the fridge? Or for regular
sausage 6-pack?

I am also interested in possible stock-up of vegetarian sausage,
which are made of soy protein. So I don't know how that would
react to freezing (different to real meat.)

Note that, I am a somewhat lazy cook, and most of my meat is
bought tinned, or cold-waiting-heating like salami.

Usually, I would chop and then stir fry with veggies.

Any health dangers?

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Deb

Aug 9, 2007, 4:17:21 AM8/9/07

<Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote in message

> Hi, everybody,
>
> When my local supermarket has sales on bagged frozen veggies, I
> stock up. So I have about a month's worth in the freezer.
>
> But, I was noticing the periodic sales on salami and similar type
> meat.
>
> Can they be frozen, with reasonable quality on thawing? For
> example, a 300 gram salami, which would be consumed over a week
> or two, after being transferred to the fridge? Or for regular
> sausage 6-pack?
>
> I am also interested in possible stock-up of vegetarian sausage,
> which are made of soy protein. So I don't know how that would
> react to freezing (different to real meat.)
>
> Note that, I am a somewhat lazy cook, and most of my meat is
> bought tinned, or cold-waiting-heating like salami.
>
> Usually, I would chop and then stir fry with veggies.
>
> Any health dangers?
>
> Thanks...

I can't get out of the habit of shopping as though I still had 2 teenage
boys at home, so I often save on the big packages. I freeze most things on
a cookie sheet then bag it in a freezer weight zip bag. That way everything
is individually frozen and I can take out as much as I want at a time.

Usually, cured or highly salted meat, like salami or some types of sausage
will start to lose quality after 2-3 months. Date the packages and plan
accordingly.

The most important thing is to store with as little air as possible. Home
vacuum sealers are great for extending freezer life of food, but the zip
bags are a close second, imo.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

Chloe

Aug 9, 2007, 7:48:10 AM8/9/07
<Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote in message
> Hi, everybody,
>
> When my local supermarket has sales on bagged frozen veggies, I
> stock up. So I have about a month's worth in the freezer.
>
> But, I was noticing the periodic sales on salami and similar type
> meat.
>
> Can they be frozen, with reasonable quality on thawing? For
> example, a 300 gram salami, which would be consumed over a week
> or two, after being transferred to the fridge? Or for regular
> sausage 6-pack?
<snip>

I'm certain you can freeze and use cured meats like salami safely. In the
back of my mind is a caution that after thawing they might seem more salty.
I'm not sure that's correct, though.

shawn...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2007, 10:01:46 AM8/9/07
I would say you can freeze it. I sometimes shop at the Swiss Colony
(www.swisscolony.com) outlet store in Monroe, WI when I drive through.
They put together all kinds of gift trays for the holidays. I picked
up some mini garlic sausage links and they were frozen right from the
store and kept them froze until I wanted to use them and they were
fine.

Wayne Sallee

Aug 9, 2007, 10:43:02 AM8/9/07
Yes it will be fine. Salted foods stay fresh better,
because they are not as quick to freezerburn, and
react to the air.

I will cook a roast or other meat, slice it and cube
it, and then salt it down good, give it a few
minutes for the salt to soak in, and then put it in
a loose bag, (actually I will put it in a loose bag,
and then salt it down, and shake the bag to mix it
up good) and through it in the freezer, then later
take it out, let it just partially defrost enough
that it can be easily broken up back into loose
pieces, and then through it back into the freezer.

Then when you want some diced meat, you simply pull
the bag out, and grab a hand full and through the
bag back into the freezer.

A big bag of shredded cheese works well that way
too. And you can buy a big back of shredded cheese
for the same price as a block of cheese.

Wayne Sallee
Webm...@LeesburgNazarene.org

Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote on 8/9/2007 3:02 AM:
> Hi, everybody,
>
> When my local supermarket has sales on bagged frozen veggies, I
> stock up. So I have about a month's worth in the freezer.
>
> But, I was noticing the periodic sales on salami and similar type
> meat.
>
> Can they be frozen, with reasonable quality on thawing? For
> example, a 300 gram salami, which would be consumed over a week
> or two, after being transferred to the fridge? Or for regular
> sausage 6-pack?
>
> I am also interested in possible stock-up of vegetarian sausage,
> which are made of soy protein. So I don't know how that would
> react to freezing (different to real meat.)
>
> Note that, I am a somewhat lazy cook, and most of my meat is
> bought tinned, or cold-waiting-heating like salami.
>
> Usually, I would chop and then stir fry with veggies.
>
> Any health dangers?
>
> Thanks...

Rick

Aug 9, 2007, 3:29:25 PM8/9/07

When I was a kid my mother froze all manner of luncheon meat. I'm still
here - so obviously no harm done. 8-) But I do recall that some meats
came out of the process better than others. Bologna was kinda
disgusting. Edible, but not that "pleasant" in texture after freezing.
And as you mention - certainly not something that takes well to long
term freezer storage.

> The most important thing is to store with as little air as possible. Home
> vacuum sealers are great for extending freezer life of food, but the zip
> bags are a close second, imo.
>
> Deb

True. It's amazing how miserly some people can be about this point after
spending all that money on the food, not wanting to "waste" money on
freezer wrap or bags and letting the stored stuff shrivel up and end up
being tossed anyway. If you don't want to invest in a vacuum sealer
double up: Wrap meats in plastic wrap - getting all the air out - and
then place in good quality freezer bags. Get meats out of the store
packaging - those styrofoam "plates" with pads to absorb stuff under the
meat. The styrofoam readily passes air to anything it touches, and the
packages normally have a large amout of air space in them. Put your
frozen veggies in freezer bags too and cycle through them as quickly as
possible.

Rick