What Court Do I Use?

jaygreg

Dec 10, 2007, 3:31:34 PM12/10/07
I want to stop a local free paper from leaving there unwanted "rag" on the
apron of my driveway every Sunday. I've asked politely over the years and
they have complied. But since the business has been turned over to the
founder's "kid', I get no respect. :-) So... I sent him a registered letter.
Foour days latter... trash on the apron!

I assume I can file some restaraining order with some court but I don't know
what type of court I should be looking for. I assume it's not a municipal
but a county court (we're in two separate counties).

My reason for the request is that the paper is a dead give-away that there's
no one home. I live alone and if I travel... bingo; the paper is a red flag.
I can stop the paper I subscribe to, but this little nuscense is a pain in
the butt. Sooooo. I guess I gotta' jam the order down the kid's throat.

Anyone had experience with a similar problem and can give guidance where to
file and what to ask for? I've had experience with probating wills and
filing suit for some attempting to collect on a bad debt; reading and
following instructions won't be a problem if I get to the right departments.

Chloe

Dec 10, 2007, 3:41:46 PM12/10/07
"jaygreg" <jayg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

What court do you use? None. You'll spend a bunch of money and you won't be
able to recover any damages because...you don't HAVE any. Ask one of your
neighbors to pick it up if you're going to be away. Or if you really have a
lot of spare time on your hands, contact your local government and see if
the problem might come under some type of littering ordinance. But a
lawsuit? You gotta be kidding.

George

Dec 10, 2007, 3:45:25 PM12/10/07

I would give them written notice that from that day forward their paper
is unwanted and you will have them cited for littering if you find the
paper on your property. My buddy did that with a local paper that
wouldn't stop and actually had them cited. Shortly after that I had the
same issue and calling them and informing them I would have them cited
was enough to stop the delivery.

Jeff

Dec 10, 2007, 3:52:21 PM12/10/07
jaygreg wrote:
> I want to stop a local free paper from leaving there unwanted "rag" on the
> apron of my driveway every Sunday. I've asked politely over the years and
> they have complied. But since the business has been turned over to the
> founder's "kid', I get no respect.

Forget the founder or his kid. Talk to the kid who is delivering it on
Sunday Morning. Tell him your reasons, either rationally or
irrationally, chances are he won't want to have yourself waiting to see
him next Sunday.

Jeff

Gary Heston

Dec 10, 2007, 7:32:56 PM12/10/07
In article <475da220$0$27960$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,

jaygreg <jayg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I want to stop a local free paper from leaving there unwanted "rag" on the
>apron of my driveway every Sunday. I've asked politely over the years and
>they have complied. But since the business has been turned over to the
>founder's "kid', I get no respect. :-) So... I sent him a registered letter.
>Foour days latter... trash on the apron!
[ ... ]

Someone fought that issue locally and wasn't able to get anything done,
including prosecution for littering.

Any idea where the "kid" lives? He might need a spare copy, or two or
three (your neighbors might want to donate theirs). Alternatively, the
lawn or sidewalk in front of the business might work.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

The Henchman

Dec 10, 2007, 8:48:25 PM12/10/07

"jaygreg" <jayg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Anyone had experience with a similar problem and can give guidance where
> to file and what to ask for? I've had experience with probating wills and
> filing suit for some attempting to collect on a bad debt; reading and
> following instructions won't be a problem if I get to the right
> departments.

My neighbours and I ask each other to collect mail when we are away etc.
Do you trust your neighbours? It works well for us...

Just a thot....

jaygreg

Dec 10, 2007, 9:13:35 PM12/10/07
Lawsuit? Who said anything about a lawsuit, counselor? I'm taking about some
form of restraining order or directive from the court to stop littering,
trespassing, or breaking whatever ordinance I can find may apply. Of course
there's no personal injury sustained. I know how to file a lawsuit; don't
need that.

"Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message

jaygreg

Dec 10, 2007, 9:16:41 PM12/10/07
They've had written notice three times. The third time - to ensure
delivery - the notice (a simple copy of the prior two) went certified return
receipt. I've got a signature of an employee or agent. Soooo... they've
received notice. Next step... some legal action from the county or me (but
certainly not a lawsuit).

"George" <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

jaygreg

Dec 10, 2007, 9:18:46 PM12/10/07
Thought of that, Jeff, and may well do that. Only problem is the window of
delievery is from 5:30AM to as late as 11AM. That's a hell-o-va long time to
sit in from of a front window. My neighbors will think I'm nuts!

"Jeff" <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote in message

jaygreg

Dec 10, 2007, 9:28:12 PM12/10/07
My crew are the ones who took the final notice to the post office. "You
wants we should deliver this pousonally, boss?"

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

jaygreg

Dec 10, 2007, 9:32:45 PM12/10/07
I've paid my paper carrier extra to deliver my subscription to the door for
thirty years. The unsolicited, unsubscribed "rag" is thrown on the driveway
apron and left in the street when the deliverer looses arm. I don't wanna'
walk to the apron or street every Sunday when I AM home. If I do that... why
pay extra to have the subscription paper delivered?

The fix has to be made with the paper, who in turn feels pressure enough to
lean on the delivery agent.

"The Henchman" <dontsel...@iampoor.net> wrote in message

Dec 10, 2007, 9:47:13 PM12/10/07
jaygreg wrote:
> I want to stop a local free paper from leaving there unwanted "rag" on the
> apron of my driveway every Sunday. I've asked politely over the years and
> they have complied. But since the business has been turned over to the
> founder's "kid', I get no respect. :-) So... I sent him a registered letter.
> Foour days latter... trash on the apron!

Okay, when you say "the founder's kid," do you mean the person who
delivers the paper owns it?

After having three children who did paper routes, I can say that
probablyi the most effective way to get it stopped is to call the
newspaper every single time you get it and complain that you don't want
it on your driveway -- not the carrier, the newspaper. If the carrier
is a contractor, they will be penalized for complaints, and it should stop.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Mac Cool

Dec 11, 2007, 3:19:49 AM12/11/07
jaygreg:

> So... I sent him a registered letter.
> Foour days latter... trash on the apron!

No court, call the Sheriff's department.

--
Mac Cool

Don Klipstein

Dec 11, 2007, 3:39:22 AM12/11/07
In article <475da220$0$27960$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, jaygreg wrote:
>I want to stop a local free paper from leaving there unwanted "rag" on the
>apron of my driveway every Sunday. I've asked politely over the years and
>they have complied. But since the business has been turned over to the
>founder's "kid', I get no respect. :-) So... I sent him a registered letter.
>Foour days latter... trash on the apron!
>
>I assume I can file some restaraining order with some court but I don't know
>what type of court I should be looking for. I assume it's not a municipal
>but a county court (we're in two separate counties).
>
>My reason for the request is that the paper is a dead give-away that there's
>no one home. I live alone and if I travel... bingo; the paper is a red flag.
>I can stop the paper I subscribe to, but this little nuscense is a pain in
>the butt. Sooooo. I guess I gotta' jam the order down the kid's throat.

If you send a letter that is certified with return receipt requested,
then you have evidence that you sent a notice. I suspect the same is true
if the letter is registered.

If the unwanted paper delivery does not stop, I would send another
letter certified with return receipt requesting that they stop trespassing
upon your property to deliver their unwelcome litter, and to stop
littering your property with their unwelcome junk.

I have an impression that trespessing is illegal in all 50 of the USA's
"states", and that littering is probably illegal in at least 40 of them
including mine.

If the police find need to concentrate their efforts on matters other
than stopping trespassingh and littering, then I advise learning how to
file a private criminal complaint (should this be available in your
state and county) and how to do any necessary legwork (including
specifics to your state and county) to further your private criminal
complaint to result in a criminal conviction and according criminal
punishment against the perpetrator that refuses to stop committing crimes
against you and on/onto your property!

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Dec 11, 2007, 3:56:47 AM12/11/07
In article <475df304$0$15390$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, jaygreg wrote:
>They've had written notice three times. The third time - to ensure
>delivery - the notice (a simple copy of the prior two) went certified return
>receipt. I've got a signature of an employee or agent. Soooo... they've
>received notice. Next step... some legal action from the county or me (but
>certainly not a lawsuit).

I would have the notice to include a request to stop littering. If they
had to trespass to do their deeds, I would also put them on notice to stop
trespassing.

If you are going to put the offender(s) that they are committing crimes,
then you should state truthfully what crimes are being committed along
with a request to stop such criminal activity.

If the criminal activity continues and the police can't or won't help,
then check into your state and local district attorney offices for legal
options, including private criminal complaint. And if you file a private
criminal complaint, you better learn and do research into what legwork you
have to do, including any necessitated specifically to your state or
county for legal and/or cultural reasons! (Possibly ranging from dotting
every i and crossing every t and halfway needing a law gegree to
explaining why you are usuing the legal system rather than having a loyal
mean dog or possibly a weapon/deadly-force to deter the perp!)

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Dec 11, 2007, 4:00:01 AM12/11/07
In article <475df380$0$15375$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, jaygreg wrote:
>Thought of that, Jeff, and may well do that. Only problem is the window of
>delievery is from 5:30AM to as late as 11AM. That's a hell-o-va long time to
>sit in from of a front window. My neighbors will think I'm nuts!

I think that neighbors will mostly think highly of those who are nutty
enough to actually be on the front of their property to defend their
property from illegal dumpers!

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Shawn Hirn

Dec 11, 2007, 6:51:47 AM12/11/07
In article <475df6c7$0$15359$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"jaygreg" <jayg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've paid my paper carrier extra to deliver my subscription to the door for
> thirty years. The unsolicited, unsubscribed "rag" is thrown on the driveway
> apron and left in the street when the deliverer looses arm. I don't wanna'
> walk to the apron or street every Sunday when I AM home. If I do that... why
> pay extra to have the subscription paper delivered?
>
> The fix has to be made with the paper, who in turn feels pressure enough to
> lean on the delivery agent.

In addition to the suggestions others made, maybe a sign at the front of
your driveway that says "please d not leave xxx" where xxx is the name
of the paper you don't want.

Shawn Hirn

Dec 11, 2007, 6:53:39 AM12/11/07
In article <475df380$0$15375$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"jaygreg" <jayg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thought of that, Jeff, and may well do that. Only problem is the window of
> delievery is from 5:30AM to as late as 11AM. That's a hell-o-va long time to
> sit in from of a front window. My neighbors will think I'm nuts!

No need to worry about that. I suspect your neighbors already think you
are nuts. A normal person wouldn't worry about such mundane issues.

Shawn Hirn

Dec 11, 2007, 6:56:41 AM12/11/07
In article <475df24a$0$15363$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
"jaygreg" <jayg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Lawsuit? Who said anything about a lawsuit, counselor? I'm taking about some
> form of restraining order or directive from the court to stop littering,
> trespassing, or breaking whatever ordinance I can find may apply. Of course
> there's no personal injury sustained. I know how to file a lawsuit; don't
> need that.

Good luck with that. The resources in most communities are stretched
thin due to various reasons. I seriously doubt the law enforcement
personnel in your community are going to expend resources on your
problem when there are no doubt more pressing issues at hand. If this is
your worst problem, you're very fortunate.

Zuke

Dec 11, 2007, 11:34:42 AM12/11/07
> jaygreg wrote:
>> I want to stop a local free paper from leaving there unwanted "rag" on the
>> apron of my driveway every Sunday. I've asked politely over the years and
>> they have complied. But since the business has been turned over to the
>> founder's "kid', I get no respect.

Are you talking about a bundle of papers or just one paper?

Either way, think of yourself as part of a community and the paper
as a necessary resource. The world would be a lot worse place
if we didn't have these "rags" to educate us even if we sometimes
don't agree with their content. Those guys who deliver might change
from week to week, they are not the most stable of jobs and the
guy trying to run the paper is probably up to his eyeballs in
work.

When I was visiting Berkeley these types of papers were everywhere.
I usually can keep up with the free papers in my city but I think
keeping up with the papers out there would be a full-time job.

Dec 11, 2007, 12:13:38 PM12/11/07
Zuke wrote:

> Either way, think of yourself as part of a community and the paper
> as a necessary resource.

Let me guess; you missed the part where he said it was a security
liability because he often traveled and the paper was left on his
driveway for days at a time.

nos...@nospam.com

Dec 11, 2007, 1:51:46 PM12/11/07

Oh come on, it's a waste of trees.

The Henchman

Dec 11, 2007, 5:51:28 PM12/11/07

> I've paid my paper carrier extra to deliver my subscription to the door
> for thirty years. The unsolicited, unsubscribed "rag" is thrown on the
> driveway apron and left in the street when the deliverer looses arm. I
> don't wanna' walk to the apron or street every Sunday when I AM home. If I
> do that... why pay extra to have the subscription paper delivered?
>
> The fix has to be made with the paper, who in turn feels pressure enough
> to lean on the delivery agent.

Shawn Hirn had a great idea that my neighbour used. My neighbour is a
single male cop, a detective, that takes him out of town from time to time.
He put a sign on his front yard , right by the kerb stating no flyers etc.
Since I collect his mail once or twice a month, I've noticed he doesn't get
the flyer package. He still gets the postal junk mail but I never see the
twice weekly flyer package.

His sign got knocked down by a snowplough and he hasn't replaced the sign
but it worked. He's a cop so I'm sure he did it to prevent break-ins. He
doesn't strike me as an environmentalist type.

Would a sign be a feasible option??