Re: can buttermilk be frozen

Message has been deleted

Chloe

Aug 23, 2007, 9:40:43 AM8/23/07
"Boothbay" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1187875343.7...@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>I seldom use this, but there are occasions when its needed for baking.
> I could only find a quart size and that in itself is more expensive
> than reglular milk, especially these days. I was thinking about
> freezing the leftover.

I'm not sure, but I have the impression that it'll become watery and
separate when you thaw it out. There's a dried buttermilk product available
that might be a better option.

Wooly

Aug 23, 2007, 10:15:53 AM8/23/07
Boothbay wrote:
> I seldom use this, but there are occasions when its needed for baking.
> I could only find a quart size and that in itself is more expensive
> than reglular milk, especially these days. I was thinking about
> freezing the leftover.

Add one teaspoon of lemon juice to one cup of milk and allow it to sit
at room temperature until the milk begins to curdle. Works just as well
as buttermilk in most recipes.

Chris Hill

Aug 23, 2007, 10:28:11 AM8/23/07
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:22:23 -0700, Boothbay <harri...@aol.com>
wrote:

>I seldom use this, but there are occasions when its needed for baking.
>I could only find a quart size and that in itself is more expensive
>than reglular milk, especially these days. I was thinking about
>freezing the leftover.

Try it and find out. also check out powdered buttermilk.

Melissa

Aug 23, 2007, 11:55:30 AM8/23/07

"Boothbay" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I seldom use this, but there are occasions when its needed for baking.
> I could only find a quart size and that in itself is more expensive
> than reglular milk, especially these days. I was thinking about
> freezing the leftover.

I use a tablespoon of vinegar then milk to make 1 cup in place of buttermilk
for most recipes. Let it stand a few minutes until it curdles. I only have 1
or 2 that really need REAL buttermilk.

Melissa

Ward Abbott

Aug 23, 2007, 5:32:06 PM8/23/07
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:15:53 -0500, Wooly <nobody@nunya> wrote:

>Works just as well
>as buttermilk in most recipes.

But it is "soured" milk, not buttermilk.

Bob Young

Aug 23, 2007, 6:00:15 PM8/23/07
You folks should really be using a cooking newsgroup. This group is
just for very impotent folks.
Just giving the standard line of the anal people.

Wooly

Aug 23, 2007, 9:18:52 PM8/23/07

Which detracts not in the least that it works in most recipes.
Buttermilk is called for in recipes in which the leavening is chemical
in nature - biscuits, for example, that use baking powder. The acid in
the buttermilk reacts with the cream of tartar and the bit of sodium
bicarb in the baking powder to *poof* the uncooked dough mass; heat of
the oven expands the gas pockets resulting from the chemical rise.

So, acidified milk works perfectly well to increase the leavening power
of baking powder. It won't impart buttermilk flavor but how many people
really know what honest-to-god buttermilk tastes like these days anyhow?
(I do, because I make my own butter occasionally and I drink the
buttermilk that's left.)

Logan Shaw

Aug 23, 2007, 11:08:58 PM8/23/07
Wooly wrote:
> So, acidified milk works perfectly well to increase the leavening power
> of baking powder. It won't impart buttermilk flavor but how many people
> really know what honest-to-god buttermilk tastes like these days anyhow?

I only know because when I was kid, my grandparents would often have a
small glass of buttermilk and a graham cracker or two as a snack before
bedtime, so when we stayed over there, we'd have that too sometimes.

I don't imagine this is a very popular snack combination these days, though...

- Logan

Logan Shaw

Aug 23, 2007, 11:13:46 PM8/23/07
Boothbay wrote:
> I seldom use this, but there are occasions when its needed for baking.
> I could only find a quart size and that in itself is more expensive
> than reglular milk, especially these days. I was thinking about
> freezing the leftover.

I used to freeze regular milk, because I stopped drinking it as a
regular drink (and I don't eat breakfast cereal), so I would only
use it in recipes. Consequently, even the one quart size or smaller
was usually way bigger than I needed.

When I thawed it, it had separated out a whole lot. The best
solution I found was to wait until it was mostly thawed (just a
bit of soft ice left) and then put it in the blender. That mixed
it pretty well again, but not perfectly. The result wasn't the
same as fresh milk (it would tend to separate out again), but
the taste was similar and it would probably be OK for cooking.

- Logan

Wooly

Aug 23, 2007, 11:56:04 PM8/23/07
Logan Shaw wrote:

> I only know because when I was kid, my grandparents would often have a
> small glass of buttermilk and a graham cracker or two as a snack before
> bedtime, so when we stayed over there, we'd have that too sometimes.

Cultured buttermilk really has no relationship to actual buttermilk (the
liquid left after churning butter out of cream). I'll drink honest
buttermilk, that shit in the container with the green label that says
"buttermilk" is good for baking and that's about it.

Logan Shaw

Aug 24, 2007, 3:14:45 AM8/24/07

My grandparents may have felt the same way about the difference between
one type of buttermilk and the other. On the other hand, having heard
my grandmother complain about having to spend endless hours churning
butter when she was a kid, I think she was happy to stick with the
fake stuff. ;-)

- Logan

Dennis

Aug 24, 2007, 11:41:50 AM8/24/07

Um, not quite. The acids in buttermilk react with the baking *soda*
in baking powder. The cream of tartar is also acidic and is what
makes baking powder work in less acidic recipes. You could just as
well use just plain baking soda when buttermilk is in the recipe (and
I do, with good results).

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Dennis

Aug 24, 2007, 11:43:35 AM8/24/07

I like it mixed with the commercial eggnog that is sold in cartons
during the holidays. It cuts some of the excess sweetness, and gives
a rich taste almost like cheesecake.

ffflick

Aug 26, 2007, 7:07:10 AM8/26/07
wrote:

>I seldom use this, but there are occasions when its needed for baking.
>I could only find a quart size and that in itself is more expensive
>than reglular milk, especially these days. I was thinking about
>freezing the leftover.

I've frozen 'cultured buttermilk' frequently. It's popular in Northern
Ireland, but when I moved to London, I could only get 'Buttermilk' in
small quantities (and it was obviously for baking, not for drinking -
too sweet and thick).

I would freeze a few to bring back to London when I visited NI and it
was fine. Dale Farm is the only brand that tastes good by the way....

Regards

val189

Aug 26, 2007, 7:03:21 PM8/26/07
On Aug 23, 11:13 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> When I thawed it, it had separated out a whole lot. The best
> solution I found was to wait until it was mostly thawed (just a
> bit of soft ice left) and then put it in the blender. That mixed
> it pretty well again, but not perfectly. The result wasn't the
> same as fresh milk (it would tend to separate out again), but
> the taste was similar and it would probably be OK for cooking.

I buy skim milk by the gallon and freeze 3 qts. of it. I agree - you
must let it thaw completely, but a good shaking and I can't tell the
difference between it and the never-frozen stuff.
As to buying buttermilk and freezing the leftovers, I wouldn't
bother. I just drink it straight, mash it into potatoes, etc. I
found it'd languish in my freezer for months and I'd forget I even
owned it. Ya buy more, freeze more leftovers...etc.

When lemons are cheapest, I freeze the juice in very small containers,
then chop off a chunk when needed.

Bob F

Aug 28, 2007, 12:08:55 AM8/28/07

"Dennis" <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Oww! I might have to try that one.

Bob

OhioGuy

Sep 4, 2007, 6:49:08 PM9/4/07
If you are mostly wanting it for cooking, try using powdered buttermilk. It
is similar to powdered milk, and stores for years. You can buy it in bulk,
up to 50 pound bags.