Doing Good - Need More Inv. Info

7derek

Jun 2, 2008, 10:32:03 PM6/2/08
A while back I joined an 'Invitation Only' retirement club, invested
$200.00 and I am amazed at what it has now grown to. I am doing good
with this and I would like to know about other secure, short term,
high yield investment clubs that are out there. This is a good very
secure club so please e-mail me info ONLY on legal, secure clubs.
THANKS!

Logan Shaw

Jun 4, 2008, 1:41:30 AM6/4/08
7derek wrote:
> A while back I joined an 'Invitation Only' retirement club, invested
> $200.00 and I am amazed at what it has now grown to. I am doing good
> with this and I would like to know about other secure, short term,
> high yield investment clubs that are out there.

There is no such thing as an investment that is both secure and high-yield.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Jun 4, 2008, 3:02:08 AM6/4/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
> 7derek wrote

That isnt correct. They arent common, but they do exist.

Logan Shaw

Jun 4, 2008, 3:13:23 AM6/4/08

Well, of course, "high-yield" is a relative term, and is ill-defined, but if
you can point me to something that is secure and high-yield, I'll be glad to
know about it.

I suppose one example is the people who bought CDs back in the 80's at
amazingly high rates, like 15% or even higher annual interest. That was
back when home loans were 18% or even higher rates, so offering 15% on a
CD didn't seem out of the question. Some banks apparently offered them
for terms of over 10 years, even up to 20 years, and by the time the CD
matured, interest rates had fallen again, and it was indeed a high-yield,
secure investment.

So perhaps what I should say is that there is practically no such thing
thing as an investment which is (a) secure and (b) high-yield and (c) open
to new investors.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Jun 4, 2008, 4:51:11 AM6/4/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote
>>> 7derek wrote

>>> There is no such thing as an investment that is both secure and high-yield.

>> That isnt correct. They arent common, but they do exist.

> Well, of course, "high-yield" is a relative term, and is ill-defined,

Yep.

> but if you can point me to something that is secure and high-yield,
> I'll be glad to know about it.

One obvious example was Halliburton when it was clear that the US was going to invade Iraq.

> I suppose one example is the people who bought CDs back in the 80's at amazingly high rates, like 15% or even higher
> annual interest.

Yep, me included. In my case govt bonds too. Cant get any more secure than that.

> That was back when home loans were 18% or even higher rates, so offering 15% on a CD didn't seem out of the question.
> Some banks apparently offered them for terms of over 10 years, even up to 20 years,

Yep.

> and by the time the CD matured, interest rates had fallen again,

And that was guaranteed to happen.

> and it was indeed a high-yield, secure investment.

Yep.

> So perhaps what I should say is that there is practically no such thing thing as an investment which is (a) secure and
> (b) high-yield and (c) open to new investors.

If you did that, you'd be just plain wrong.