Memory Foam Mattresses

The Real Bev

Dec 29, 2007, 9:44:41 PM12/29/07
Anybody bought one recently? What do you think of the ones that Costco
sells?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Not everyone can be above average so why

Marsha

Dec 29, 2007, 10:56:30 PM12/29/07
The Real Bev wrote:

> Anybody bought one recently? What do you think of the ones that Costco
> sells?

The rip-off model I purchased from a local company 7 years ago has been
fabulous, though I think the memory foam tends to hold in body heat a
bit more than traditional mattresses and, when you're having hot
flashes, that's not a good thing :-)

Marsha/Ohio

Shawn Hirn

Dec 30, 2007, 7:48:46 AM12/30/07

I have a friend who bought one for him and his wife. Its purely a matter
of personal preference. I laid down on it for less than five minutes
because my buddy kept telling me how comfortable it is. I had to get
off; way too warm for my taste.

OldKenGoat

Dec 30, 2007, 6:10:28 PM12/30/07

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I bought a Serta 4" memory foam mattress on sale from Overstock a month ago.
It does run a bit warm, but in the NW winter it's OK for now. I'll probably
have to store it away during the summer. It is very comfortable and I do
seem to sleep better. However, my cat hates it! I can't tell if he dislikes
it because of the squishiness or the smell.
hth

P T

Dec 30, 2007, 7:07:55 PM12/30/07
About ten years ago I bought a foam mattress at a local furniture store.
There were several firmness grades available, it was not some cheap
thing, and I've been fairly satisfied with it.

How is "MEMORY" foam different?

Tockk

Jan 1, 2008, 8:53:56 AM1/1/08

"P T" <Petep...@webtv.net> wrote in message

I used to know, but I forgot.

Tockk

Jan 1, 2008, 9:03:19 AM1/1/08

"P T" <Petep...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Memory foam is graded in pounds (of weight) per cubic foot. When you lay
down on it, it conforms more closely to your curves than will regular foam.
It will have a sort of feeling like sleeping in mud; you'll be much less apt
to toss and turn in bed. The densest stuff will be more durable, will
weigh more, will be squishyer, and will consequently cost more.

The best internet price I've seen is from some foam mattress company in
California -- San Francisco, I think. (www.foamorder.com) Last time I
looked they had regular and memory foam. The thing to do is to get 4" of
firm regular foam, and then put 4" of memory foam on top of it. Gives ya
the best of both worlds. I did that, and the memory foam lasted 6 years,
but the regular foam showed no evidence of wear.

Frank

Jan 1, 2008, 1:04:40 PM1/1/08

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have the upper (2"-3") foam support and the pillows from Costco. Took a
few days to get use to it and now its no worse than just with the regular
mattress. Its ok.

Son has the Costco mattress and pillows, he like it.

John Weiss

Jan 1, 2008, 2:59:29 PM1/1/08
"Tockk" <to...@sbcglobal.net> wrote...

>> How is "MEMORY" foam different?
>
> I used to know, but I forgot.

Memory foam holds its compressed form for a time. in a mattress, that allows it
to adapt to the body, relieving pressure spots to some degree.

"Tempur" foam is a proprietary memory foam that is also more responsive to heat,
so it allegedly molds itself better to your body. It must work to a large
degree, because my wife and I are both very happy with ours. The Tempurpedic
mattress is also designed such that little of the movement from one side is
transmitted to the other.