Check reordering

George Grapman

Sep 17, 2008, 11:46:25 AM9/17/08
After 4 years I needed to replenish the initial supply of checks
that my credit union gave me when I opened my account.

I called the number on the reorder form and when the quoted price
seemed high I asked for a breakdown and was told it included things I
did not want such as two day delivery and a leather check book. Getting
longer delivery and vinyl saved about $15.

Message has been deleted

George Grapman

Sep 17, 2008, 2:45:07 PM9/17/08
Derald wrote:

> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Getting longer delivery and vinyl saved about $15.
> Don't you just love it when they assume you to want the next higher
> tier or premium service which puts extra money in their pockets for
> essentially nothing? They must have learned it from the telephone
> companies.

A few times I have asked companies to detail the charges before I
order and have found that the shipping charges far exceed their actual
cost. The following conversation ensues:

"That Fedex charge is way out of line. I have a Fedex account and
and I am sure that you get a better rate than I do"

"I am just going by our listed rates"

"I understand, so how about if if I give you my Fedex account
number and you can use that to ship it"

"I don't think I can do that"

"Fine,can I speak to a supervisor?"

Usually after the supervisor understands that they will lose the
sale they recalculate the charges.

George Grapman

Sep 17, 2008, 2:47:00 PM9/17/08
Derald wrote:
> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Getting longer delivery and vinyl saved about $15.
> Don't you just love it when they assume you to want the next higher
> tier or premium service which puts extra money in their pockets for
> essentially nothing? They must have learned it from the telephone
> companies.

A friend recently moved and AT&T tried to include all the added
features. They were shocked that someone could survive without call
waiting and three way because all she wanted was Caller ID.

Message has been deleted

Lou

Sep 17, 2008, 8:14:43 PM9/17/08

"Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message

> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:
>
> >Getting longer delivery and vinyl saved about $15.
> Don't you just love it when they assume you to want the next higher
> tier or premium service which puts extra money in their pockets for
> essentially nothing? They must have learned it from the telephone
> companies.

Well, they probably shouldn't assume, but that's a bit harsh. I bet a lot
of people wait until they're out of checks before they order, and if they're
going to pay the bills they need a new batch as soon as possible. And it's
obvious that some people prefer gen-u-wine leather to vinyl. So the extra
price isn't for "essentially nothing".

What I don't understand is why you'd need another "book". When a pad of
checks is used up, you slip the backing from the old pad out of the book and
put in a new pad. You can continue this process with a new batch of checks,
there's no need for a new book unless the old one has worn out. Come to
think of it, that might be a reason to get leather - it would probably last
longer than vinyl and end up costing less in the long run.

Lou

Sep 17, 2008, 8:19:47 PM9/17/08

"George Grapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

I'd gone my whole life without any of those new fangled service - no call
waiting, no caller id, etc. - though I did upgrade to touch tone a couple of
decades ago. Recently we switched to FiOS and got, among other things,
caller id. I'm surprised at how much I like it. Maybe call waiting and
three way would be the same.

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Sep 17, 2008, 11:51:13 PM9/17/08
Derald wrote:

> "Lou" <lpo...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Come to
>>think of it, that might be a reason to get leather - it would probably last
>>longer than vinyl and end up costing less in the long run.
>

> True enough. I'm still using a Tandy Leather checkbook cover kit
> that I assembled in 1971! For one account, I typically run out of
> deposit slips; bank nails me $10.00 for 50 of those so I use the generic
> counter deposit forms as often as possible.

Xerox copies work. 3 or 4 or 5 per page depending on how much you're
willing to reduce them.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Sep 18, 2008, 8:49:08 AM9/18/08

> "Lou" <lpo...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Come to
>>think of it, that might be a reason to get leather - it would probably
>>last
>>longer than vinyl and end up costing less in the long run.
> True enough. I'm still using a Tandy Leather checkbook cover kit
> that I assembled in 1971! For one account, I typically run out of
> deposit slips; bank nails me $10.00 for 50 of those so I use the generic
> counter deposit forms as often as possible.

Wow, that's high. I'm still working on the same box of 200 checks I got when
I opened the account 8 years ago since I do 99% of transactions
electronically. However, I've ordered at least two boxes of just deposit
slips, and they come 200 to a box for $8.50.

George Grapman

Sep 18, 2008, 2:27:40 PM9/18/08

My credit union does not require deposit slips for ATMs and the few
times I make a deposit in a branch I simply give the teller my account
number.