Frugal protection against burglars

leno...@yahoo.com

Oct 30, 2008, 2:37:06 PM10/30/08
A house on my (normally safe) street just got robbed in broad
daylight. The sad thing is, even if I'd been there and seen them doing
it, chances are I wouldn't have suspected anything, since I didn't
know the owners - or whether they were moving out or selling
anything!

Please consider telling all your neighbors to call the police if they
ever see anything like that at your house, unless you TOLD them all in
advance exactly WHEN the movers would be there. Of course, they're
more likely to say yes and mean it if you promise to do the same for
them.

Lenona.

phil scott

Oct 30, 2008, 3:28:04 PM10/30/08

this will go epidemic about the time prices rise another 30% (over
the span of a year to 18 months) and SS and welfare checks get no
increase or just a few percent... When states are forced to cut
back on welfare it will begin to go ballistic... and when the states
are forced to debloat their supremely bloated staffs, and those hit
the collapsed job market... it will go ballistic.

good neighbors with shot guns on hand will be a big help in that time
frame... if you still have a house and are not living in your
car...those cant have guns, so wlll be relying on the old stand by
bolo knife or short machette.. that will be exciting.

phil scott

Rod Speed

Oct 30, 2008, 5:41:25 PM10/30/08
phil scott <ph...@philscott.net> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 11:37 am, lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> A house on my (normally safe) street just got robbed in broad
>> daylight. The sad thing is, even if I'd been there and seen them
>> doing it, chances are I wouldn't have suspected anything, since I
>> didn't know the owners - or whether they were moving out or selling
>> anything!
>>
>> Please consider telling all your neighbors to call the police if they
>> ever see anything like that at your house, unless you TOLD them all
>> in advance exactly WHEN the movers would be there. Of course, they're
>> more likely to say yes and mean it if you promise to do the same for them.

> this will go epidemic about the time prices rise another 30%

> (over the span of a year to 18 months) and SS and welfare
> checks get no increase or just a few percent...

Just another of your silly little fantasys. Didnt happen during the
great depression and we didnt even have SS and welfare check then.

> When states are forced to cut back on welfare

Wont happen either.

> it will begin to go ballistic...

Just another of your silly little fantasys. Didnt happen during the
great depression and we didnt even have SS and welfare check then.

> and when the states are forced to debloat their supremely bloated
> staffs, and those hit the collapsed job market... it will go ballistic.

Just another of your silly little fantasys. Didnt happen during the
great depression and we didnt even have SS and welfare check then.

> good neighbors with shot guns on hand will be a big help in
> that time frame... if you still have a house and are not living
> in your car...those cant have guns, so wlll be relying on the
> old stand by bolo knife or short machette.. that will be exciting.

Just another of your silly little fantasys. Didnt happen during the
great depression and we didnt even have SS and welfare check then.

William Souden

Oct 30, 2008, 6:13:58 PM10/30/08

How would you have survived when there was no welfare?

Seerialmom

Oct 30, 2008, 9:39:27 PM10/30/08
On Oct 30, 11:37 am, lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:

That might work in "some" neighborhoods, but in others these same
neighbors might be the ones doing the break in.

Jeff

Oct 29, 2008, 10:01:55 PM10/29/08

I'm inclined to agree. Burglars usually steal what is easy. Often
it's neighbors kids and they know the neighborhood and it's occupants
habits well.

You'd be surprised at how much goes on that no one ever sees.

Jeff

Oct 31, 2008, 1:13:58 AM10/31/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Oct 30, 11:37 am, lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:
> A house on my (normally safe) street just got robbed in broad
> daylight. The sad thing is, even if I'd been there and seen them doing
> it, chances are I wouldn't have suspected anything, since I didn't
> know the owners - or whether they were moving out or selling
> anything!
>
> Please consider telling all your neighbors to call the police if they
> ever see anything like that at your house, unless you TOLD them all in
> advance exactly WHEN the movers would be there. Of course, they're
> more likely to say yes and mean it if you promise to do the same for
> them.
>
> Lenona.

That's assuming you live where you can see your neighbors. I can see parts
(rooflines and the back of a barn) of maybe 5 houses from my property, but I
have no idea who is coming or going. Hell, with the exception of the two
closest neighbors (walking distance), I have no idea who any of those people
are. Of course it's not lot there's a lot of crime in boondockville. We work
at home and rarely leave the house. We'd notice a car driving down our
driveway from the road, and it's not like anyone would get very far on foot.

Coffee's For Closers

Oct 31, 2008, 6:33:25 AM10/31/08
In article <4d8af688-007f-4613-92ea-
a0007b...@s9g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, seeri...@yahoo.com
says...

> On Oct 30, 11:37=A0am, lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > A house on my (normally safe) street just got robbed in broad
> > daylight. The sad thing is, even if I'd been there and seen them doing
> > it, chances are I wouldn't have suspected anything, since I didn't
> > know the owners - or whether they were moving out or selling
> > anything!
> >
> > Please consider telling all your neighbors to call the police if they
> > ever see anything like that at your house, unless you TOLD them all in
> > advance exactly WHEN the movers would be there. Of course, they're
> > more likely to say yes and mean it if you promise to do the same for
> > them.

> That might work in "some" neighborhoods, but in others these same
> neighbors might be the ones doing the break in.

Yep. It is kind of like announcing, "I don't have a burglar
alarm, but I DO have stuff worth stealing."

--
Earn Money With Your Web Site
http://www.WebSponsorZone.Net

terryc

Nov 3, 2008, 6:41:11 PM11/3/08
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:37:06 -0700, lenona321 wrote:

> A house on my (normally safe) street just got robbed in broad daylight.
> The sad thing is, even if I'd been there and seen them doing it, chances
> are I wouldn't have suspected anything, since I didn't know the owners -
> or whether they were moving out or selling anything!

Lol, last time that happened here, moving van drew up nex door, I rang the
home and she answered that everything was okay. When he came home, she
and a bit of stuff had vanished. Shrug.

But yes, we do wach a little bit of what is happening in the street and
do at east have a little idea of who is moving or selling.

BigDog1

Nov 4, 2008, 4:16:24 PM11/4/08

Yup. Somebody wants to burglarize my house? Let'em come. That's why
I pay all that money to my insurance company every year. And if I'm
home when they come in, or I get home while they're still there, we're
gonna be all over the news for a couple of days.

I own very "things" that have such sentimental value they can't be
replaced. Those few items fit in my safe deposit box, which is where
they are, along with all of my family's important papers (social
security cards, birth and death certificates, military records,
insurance policies, household inventory, etc, et al). Family photos
and historical documents have been scanned and are stored with an
online storage service, as well as on discs in the aforementioned safe
deposit box. Wouldn't want to lose the originals, but if I do at least
I have the copies.

Truth is, I've got a few things at home that I wish someone would
steal. I'd rather have the money. Any takers?

Rod Speed

Nov 5, 2008, 12:02:16 AM11/5/08

Yeah, my policy is 'new for old forever' so I was thinking
that a damned good looting would go down very well indeed.

I was a bit tempted to put a sign on the door saying 'away for 4 weeks, back on
5-Dec, but I thought maybe the insurance company might refuse to payout if I did.

Siskuwihane

Nov 6, 2008, 6:44:08 AM11/6/08
On Nov 5, 12:02 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

More like folks would refuse to believe you were really away since you
are posting 24/7.