What's the difference?

J Young

Nov 30, 2007, 12:38:03 AM11/30/07
Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?
Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Rod Speed

Nov 30, 2007, 12:47:32 AM11/30/07
J Young <youngo...@aol.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?

> Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Cheap is being stingy, always going for the cheapest and being rather mean etc too.

Frugal is about best value for money, not necessarily not spending anything, but
spending what you do spend so you get best value, which may not always be the
cheapest, most obviously with stuff that lasts a lot longer even if it costs a bit more.

And there is a sense in which being frugal allows you to indulge yourself at times too.

Message has been deleted

Logan Shaw

Nov 30, 2007, 2:44:34 AM11/30/07
J Young wrote:
> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?
> Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Being frugal is when you find ways to save money that would've been wasted
anyway had you spent it.

Being cheap is when you're bored, but instead of just spending a few bucks
to go out and see a movie, you cross-post to misc.consumers.frugal-living
and alt.atheism, hoping to start a flame war.

- Logan

John Baker

Nov 30, 2007, 3:46:32 AM11/30/07

Young doesn't troll because he's bored. He does it because he has no
life. The abuse is the only attention he ever gets.

> - Logan

parsi...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2007, 5:22:50 AM11/30/07
On 30 nov, 09:46, John Baker <nu...@bizniz.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:44:34 -0600, Logan Shaw

How pathetic can you get...
The moment of the day when he sends his rant is also quite
revealing...

Goomba38

Nov 30, 2007, 8:35:22 AM11/30/07
J Young wrote:
> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?
> Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Frugal is deciding what you want (be it a Geo Metro all the way to a
BMW) but getting it for the best value. Cheap is insisting to others
that they should only want or buy the Geo Metro.

Mark K. Bilbo

Nov 30, 2007, 9:38:44 AM11/30/07
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:38:03 -0500, J Young wrote:

> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
> cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Well, the Vatican sitting on tremendous wealth while exhorting *other*
people to help the poor, that's cheap...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

- H. L. Mencken

LC

Nov 30, 2007, 10:21:30 AM11/30/07

"John Baker" <nu...@bizniz.net> wrote in message

Indeed. And he's rather redundant in his trolling methods.

Remember "Wilson", his short-lived <a.a> sock that quickly disappeared after
being outed last summer?

From: "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com>
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Subject: About bankruptcy
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:58:13 -0400

"J Young/Wilson" thread here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/24zd5b

Uncle Vic

Nov 30, 2007, 1:01:13 PM11/30/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> bloodied us
up with this:

There's nothing better than a BMW? Both Lexus and Infiniti are more
refined, and will leave most Beemers in the dust. Mercedes Benz offers a
lot more features in the same price range. I know people who've told me
horror stories about their Ultimate Driving Machines, which tend to spend
too much time in the shop at top dollar. I know a guy who has a K1200LT
motorcycle, it cost him $3500 for the "routine" 36,000 mile maintenance
stop. BMW is *far* from frugal, but if you make enough to afford one, I
guess you don't need to worry about frugality.

--
Uncle Vic
aa Atheist #2011

pba...@worldonline.nl

Nov 30, 2007, 1:23:11 PM11/30/07

Apperantly you think we atheists know something you don't
Good for you!

(I see the answer was provided by Goomba38)

Peter van Velzen
November 2007
Amstelveen
The Netherlands

Just A User

Nov 30, 2007, 1:28:16 PM11/30/07

I personally think being cheap is needing / wanting something but not
willing to buy the said item or service even if it can be bought / had
for a frugal price.

Rod Speed

Nov 30, 2007, 1:37:21 PM11/30/07
Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote:
> J Young wrote:
>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and
>> being cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

> Frugal is deciding what you want (be it a Geo Metro all the way to a BMW) but getting it for the best value.

Its also about reducing what you want too.

> Cheap is insisting to others that they should only want or buy the Geo Metro.

Nope, what others are advised to do is a separate matter entirely.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 30, 2007, 3:06:43 PM11/30/07

"J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
> cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
let me give you an example:

frugal is when you use a coupon and take your wife out to a reasonably nice
restaurant for your anniversary. cheap is when you can afford to take her
above restaurant and instead make her a pbj sandwich for dinner. now, if
that pbj is really all you can afford, then that's not being cheap.

cheap is also when you insist that she and the kids shop at a second hand
store, even though you can afford better, while you head out and get an
expensive suit.

imo, cheap always involves someone else. if you choose to shop/eat/etc way
below your means, that doesn't make you cheap. you can only be cheap when
your refusal to spend legitimate money affects others negatively.

Goomba38

Nov 30, 2007, 4:21:39 PM11/30/07
Rod Speed wrote:
> Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> J Young wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and
>>> being cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
>
>> Frugal is deciding what you want (be it a Geo Metro all the way to a BMW) but getting it for the best value.
>
> Its also about reducing what you want too.

No, I disagree. If I shop I'm helping provide economic support to
businesses and the employees who get to keep their jobs. I subscribe to
the Dolly Levy theory of helping the world.
It is not for anyone else to decide for me how I should spend my money
if it is mine to spend or save. Of course I don't want to spend more
than I need to on any item, but that doesn't mean I have to "go without"
something because YOU feel I should.

panam...@hotmail.com

Nov 30, 2007, 4:26:56 PM11/30/07

Sir, I would like to nominate your quote for the monthly alt.atheism
"Quote of the Month contest". However, we split them by theist/athiest
over here. Might I ask which you are? It's OK if you are a theist,
it'd be a nice change of pace for us. <g>

And of course, if you'd rather not say, I'll respect that.

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta.
aa#2015/KoBAAWA!

Rod Speed

Nov 30, 2007, 4:58:17 PM11/30/07
Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote
>>> J Young wrote

>>> Frugal is deciding what you want (be it a Geo Metro all the way to a BMW) but getting it for the best value.

>> Its also about reducing what you want too.

> No, I disagree.

Doesnt change a thing. Its particularly obvious with cars
where there is nothing frugal about deciding you want top end
name brand stuff when all you need is reliable transport etc.

> If I shop I'm helping provide economic support to
> businesses and the employees who get to keep their jobs.

Irrelevant to what is FRUGAL. Yes, acting frugally has some
real downsides for the market, most obviously getting people
to buy good quality reliable products that will last a lifetime.
Thats not good for the market which benefits more from
crap that doesnt last very long and needs to be replaced.

> I subscribe to the Dolly Levy theory of helping the world.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
the difference is between frugal and cheap.

> It is not for anyone else to decide for me how I should spend my money

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
the difference is between frugal and cheap.

> if it is mine to spend or save.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
the difference is between frugal and cheap.

> Of course I don't want to spend more than I need to on any item, but that doesn't mean I have to "go without"
> something because YOU feel I should.

I never ever said word about what someone else thinks you should do.

It is however being frugal to decide for yourself that you dont really need
some pose car when all you need is reliable and convenient transportation.

231

Nov 30, 2007, 5:01:16 PM11/30/07
AllEmailDeletedImmediately <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
>> cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
> let me give you an example:
>
> frugal is when you use a coupon and take your wife out to a
> reasonably nice restaurant for your anniversary. cheap is when you
> can afford to take her above restaurant and instead make her a pbj
> sandwich for dinner. now, if that pbj is really all you can afford,
> then that's not being cheap.
> cheap is also when you insist that she and the kids shop at a second
> hand store, even though you can afford better, while you head out and
> get an expensive suit.

> imo, cheap always involves someone else.

Nope, you are being cheap when you buy crap just because its the
cheapest available, and you end up spending more over the long haul
because it doesnt last as long as the more expensive better quality item.

> if you choose to shop/eat/etc way below your means, that doesn't make you cheap.

Your means is irrelevant to that frugal/cheap question.

> you can only be cheap when your refusal to spend legitimate money affects others negatively.

Mindlessly silly.

Goomba38

Nov 30, 2007, 5:08:18 PM11/30/07
Rod Speed wrote:

> Doesnt change a thing. Its particularly obvious with cars
> where there is nothing frugal about deciding you want top end
> name brand stuff when all you need is reliable transport etc.

No, what YOU need is reliable transport. What I may want has nothing to
do with you. You keep insisting that everyone should feel the same way
as you do? That's where you lose me and any respect I have for your
"frugality". Cars obviously were used as an example, but I could have
said meat. You buy all the baloney you care for (its cheap, eh?) and
I'll enjoy some steak. It is not your place to decide what I choose to
spend my own money on, nor to tell me I only deserve x when I might
enjoy y more.

>> If I shop I'm helping provide economic support to
>> businesses and the employees who get to keep their jobs.
>
> Irrelevant to what is FRUGAL. Yes, acting frugally has some
> real downsides for the market, most obviously getting people
> to buy good quality reliable products that will last a lifetime.
> Thats not good for the market which benefits more from
> crap that doesnt last very long and needs to be replaced.

And likewise some products which do cost more last longer and provide
more enjoyment than the cheapest budget model of <fill in the blank
consumer item>.

>> I subscribe to the Dolly Levy theory of helping the world.
>
> Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
> the difference is between frugal and cheap.
>
>> It is not for anyone else to decide for me how I should spend my money
>
> Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
> the difference is between frugal and cheap.
>
>> if it is mine to spend or save.
>
> Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
> the difference is between frugal and cheap.
>
>> Of course I don't want to spend more than I need to on any item, but that doesn't mean I have to "go without"
>> something because YOU feel I should.
>
> I never ever said word about what someone else thinks you should do.
>
> It is however being frugal to decide for yourself that you dont really need
> some pose car when all you need is reliable and convenient transportation.

then again, someone else would say you don't need a car at all but
should walk everywhere. That doesn't make it a valid argument.

Lou

Nov 30, 2007, 7:27:13 PM11/30/07

"J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
cheap?
> Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Frugal is when you try to get your money's worth, whether you're buying a
box of store-brand spaghetti, a luxury yacht, or anything in between.

Cheap is not paying your own way.

Rod Speed

Nov 30, 2007, 8:03:15 PM11/30/07
Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> No, I disagree.

>> Doesnt change a thing. Its particularly obvious with cars

>> where there is nothing frugal about deciding you want top end
>> name brand stuff when all you need is reliable transport etc.

> No, what YOU need is reliable transport.

I didnt say that. That was just an example of a particular car
purchase where *IF* thats what the purchaser needs, THEN it
isnt frugal to be buying a top end name brand car like a BMW.

> What I may want has nothing to do with you.

Never said you did, that was just and EXAMPLE.

> You keep insisting that everyone should feel the same way as you do?

Nope, thats just your CLAIM. I'm actually doing nothing of the sort.

> That's where you lose me and any respect I have for your "frugality".

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

In spades when you cant even manage to work out that
what is being discussed is what frugal and cheap are.

> Cars obviously were used as an example, but I could have said meat.

Just as true of meat.

> You buy all the baloney you care for (its cheap, eh?) and I'll enjoy some steak.

And its perfectly possible to be frugal when buying steak too.

> It is not your place to decide what I choose to spend my own money on,

No one is doing anything even remotely resembling anything like that.

> nor to tell me I only deserve x when I might enjoy y more.

Or that either.

What is being discussed is what is frugal and what is cheap.

Its perfectly possible to be both frugal and cheap when buying steak too.

>>> If I shop I'm helping provide economic support to
>>> businesses and the employees who get to keep their jobs.

>> Irrelevant to what is FRUGAL. Yes, acting frugally has some
>> real downsides for the market, most obviously getting people
>> to buy good quality reliable products that will last a lifetime.
>> Thats not good for the market which benefits more from
>> crap that doesnt last very long and needs to be replaced.

> And likewise some products which do cost more last longer and provide more enjoyment than the cheapest budget model of
> <fill in the blank consumer item>.

Irrelevant to that silly claim about supporting businesses and their employees.

>>> I subscribe to the Dolly Levy theory of helping the world.

>> Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
>> the difference is between frugal and cheap.

>>> It is not for anyone else to decide for me how I should spend my money

>> Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
>> the difference is between frugal and cheap.

>>> if it is mine to spend or save.

>> Irrelevant to what is being discussed, what
>> the difference is between frugal and cheap.

>>> Of course I don't want to spend more than I need to on any item, but that doesn't mean I have to "go without"
>>> something because YOU feel I should.

>> I never ever said word about what someone else thinks you should do.

>> It is however being frugal to decide for yourself that you dont
>> really need some pose car when all you need is reliable and
>> convenient transportation.

> then again, someone else would say you don't need a car at all but
> should walk everywhere. That doesn't make it a valid argument.

It does if you arent far from where you need to go and dont do that
often. Walking would indeed be the frugal thing to do if you are capable
of walking and dont need the car for other reasons like safety etc.

Douglas Berry

Dec 1, 2007, 12:35:44 AM12/1/07
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:38:03 -0500 "J Young" <youngo...@aol.com>
carved the following into the hard stone of alt.atheism

>Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?
>Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

Frugal is making intelligent choices designed to minimize your
spending. Researching the car that isn't only lower in price, but gets
good mileage and need fewer repairs is frugal thinking, as is clipping
coupons, waiting for sales, etc.

Cheap is the tendency to always choose the least expensive option,
regardless of quality, appropriateness, or public reaction. Taking
your wife to Denny's for your anniversary dinner because you have a
coupon is cheap.
--

Douglas Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the
source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a
stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as
good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein

Rod Speed

Dec 1, 2007, 12:39:31 AM12/1/07
Douglas Berry <pengu...@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote
> J Young <youngo...@aol.com> wrote

>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal

>> and being cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

> Frugal is making intelligent choices designed to minimize your spending.

Frugal is about rather more than just that. Its also a mindset.

> Researching the car that isn't only lower in price, but gets
> good mileage and need fewer repairs is frugal thinking,

Yes, but frugal thinking is about a lot more than just that.

> as is clipping coupons, waiting for sales, etc.

And that in spades.

> Cheap is the tendency to always choose the least expensive
> option, regardless of quality, appropriateness, or public reaction.

And is also about being just plain mean, miserly etc.

> Taking your wife to Denny's for your anniversary
> dinner because you have a coupon is cheap.

And so is refusing to have an anniversary dinner
at all because eating at home is even cheaper.

Anthony Matonak

Dec 1, 2007, 4:57:22 AM12/1/07
Douglas Berry wrote:
> Frugal is making intelligent choices designed to minimize your
> spending.

> Cheap is the tendency to always choose the least expensive option,
> regardless of quality, appropriateness, or public reaction.

I wouldn't put intelligence in the mix, or public opinion.

Frugal is simply getting the best value in an exchange. A frugal
lifestyle means getting the best value in exchange for your time,
effort, money, emotions or whatever else you use for barter.

Other peoples opinions are only frugal if these people base their
opinions on frugal values. It's more likely other random people
will prefer you to spend a lot more than they will spend themselves.

Cheap is going for the least cost, regardless of total value or
long term expense. What you buy is probably the smallest of
decisions that can be cheap and wind up costing you huge in the
long term. Not investing time, effort and money for an education,
a good spouse, good friends and a healthy lifestyle can lock a
person into a lifetime of low paying jobs, unhappiness and even
health issues.

In a sense, cheap is shortsighted (what it costs now) while frugal
is looking farther into the future (what is the total lifetime cost).

Anthony

Vic Smith

Dec 1, 2007, 3:46:47 PM12/1/07

IMO, you're close in describing cheap. If enough people think
somebody is cheap, they probably are.
Frugal is a real problem, and always is relative, and philosophical.
Three equally "rich" guys have houses of 50, 75, 100 thousand square
feet. They could all easily afford 200 thousand square feet.
They all think they are being frugal and "understated."
The ones with the biggest houses may - or may not - consider the one
with smallest house "cheap."
Others may not consider them frugal at all.
My own view on frugality is probably best summed up by "waste not,
want not." But it's probably more complicated than that.

--Vic

Dennis

Dec 1, 2007, 3:56:07 PM12/1/07
wrote:

>Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?

If you stop watering your lawn or turn out lights to save money on
utility bills, you're being frugal.

If your neighbor does it, he's being cheap.

Dennis (evil)

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Dec 1, 2007, 6:00:00 PM12/1/07

"231" <2...@alok.com> wrote in message

> AllEmailDeletedImmediately <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
>>> cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
>> let me give you an example:
>>
>> frugal is when you use a coupon and take your wife out to a
>> reasonably nice restaurant for your anniversary. cheap is when you
>> can afford to take her above restaurant and instead make her a pbj
>> sandwich for dinner. now, if that pbj is really all you can afford,
>> then that's not being cheap.
>> cheap is also when you insist that she and the kids shop at a second
>> hand store, even though you can afford better, while you head out and
>> get an expensive suit.
>
>> imo, cheap always involves someone else.
>
> Nope, you are being cheap when you buy crap just because its the
> cheapest available, and you end up spending more over the long haul
> because it doesnt last as long as the more expensive better quality item.

no. that's being wasteful or unfrugal, but not cheap.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Dec 1, 2007, 6:01:29 PM12/1/07

"Douglas Berry" <pengu...@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:38:03 -0500 "J Young" <youngo...@aol.com>
> carved the following into the hard stone of alt.atheism
>
>>Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
>>cheap?
>>Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
>
> Frugal is making intelligent choices designed to minimize your
> spending. Researching the car that isn't only lower in price, but gets
> good mileage and need fewer repairs is frugal thinking, as is clipping
> coupons, waiting for sales, etc.
>
> Cheap is the tendency to always choose the least expensive option,
> regardless of quality, appropriateness, or public reaction. Taking
> your wife to Denny's for your anniversary dinner because you have a
> coupon is cheap.

only if you could have afforded better. using a coupon to afford 2
dinners at dennys is just fine.

> --
>
> Douglas Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
> Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5
> Jason Gastrich is praying for me on 8 January 2011

> and

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Dec 1, 2007, 6:03:32 PM12/1/07

"Vic Smith" <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:06:43 GMT, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately"
> <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
>>> cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
>>let me give you an example:
>>
>>frugal is when you use a coupon and take your wife out to a reasonably
>>nice
>>restaurant for your anniversary. cheap is when you can afford to take
>>her
>>above restaurant and instead make her a pbj sandwich for dinner. now, if
>>that pbj is really all you can afford, then that's not being cheap.
>>
>>cheap is also when you insist that she and the kids shop at a second hand
>>store, even though you can afford better, while you head out and get an
>>expensive suit.
>>
>>imo, cheap always involves someone else. if you choose to shop/eat/etc
>>way
>>below your means, that doesn't make you cheap. you can only be cheap
>>when
>>your refusal to spend legitimate money affects others negatively.
>>
> IMO, you're close in describing cheap. If enough people think
> somebody is cheap, they probably are.

no. several "snoots" may thing you're cheap, but that may not be the case.

> Frugal is a real problem, and always is relative, and philosophical.
> Three equally "rich" guys have houses of 50, 75, 100 thousand square
> feet. They could all easily afford 200 thousand square feet.
> They all think they are being frugal and "understated."
> The ones with the biggest houses may - or may not - consider the one
> with smallest house "cheap."

snoots.

The Real Bev

Dec 1, 2007, 6:33:50 PM12/1/07
Dennis wrote:

> "J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?
>
> If you stop watering your lawn or turn out lights to save money on
> utility bills, you're being frugal.
>
> If your neighbor does it, he's being cheap.

I am frugal. You are cheap. He is miserly.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Real Bev

Dec 1, 2007, 6:35:50 PM12/1/07
Mark K. Bilbo wrote:

> J Young wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
>> cheap? Not Webster's definition, just life in general.
>
> Well, the Vatican sitting on tremendous wealth while exhorting *other*
> people to help the poor, that's cheap...

No, it's hypocrisy/fraud and governments do it too.

231

Dec 1, 2007, 8:05:18 PM12/1/07

Most call that sort of behaviour being cheap.

<RJ>

Dec 1, 2007, 10:10:29 PM12/1/07
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:38:03 -0500, "J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being cheap?
>Not Webster's definition, just life in general.

FRUGAL
Is getting a dollars worth for a dollar spent.

STINGY
Is trying to get "more".....

<rj>

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Dec 1, 2007, 10:49:14 PM12/1/07

"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

here are a few more examples:

you go out to dinner with others and then find that you "forgot"
your wallet. i know this sometimes happens for real, but in
this instance it's deliberate.

you go out to dinner with others. when the bill comes you
suggest it be split x number of ways, even tho you know your
total would be more than that share.

Nicik Name

Dec 6, 2007, 9:59:49 PM12/6/07

"J Young" <youngo...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell what the difference is between being frugal and being
cheap?
frugal= the poor
cheap= the wealthy