health care costs

MD

Mar 24, 2008, 3:12:37 PM3/24/08
Is it true that Canadians pay 15% tax on most items and how much of
that is to cover the cost of the national health care system?

James

Mar 24, 2008, 4:18:54 PM3/24/08
On Mar 24, 3:12 pm, MD <maryamdaneshm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it true that Canadians pay 15% tax on most items and how much of
> that is to cover the cost of the national health care system?

Yes and no.

There is a national tax called the "Good and Services Tax" or GST that
applies to most retail purchases and many services. It actually
replaced a wholesalers tax of 13%, but that was a hidden tax, and only
applies to goods, not services. When it came out it was 7%. Since then
it has been lowered twice, and is now 5%.

Provincial Governments (like States) also have sales taxes (except
Alberta). Some provinces lump sales tax in with the GST some (Quebec)
charge sales tax on the GST included price (horrible), others just
have two separate taxes. Ontario's sales tax is currently 8%. So the
combined total in Alberta would be 5%, Ontario 13%.

In theory provinces charge for health care - each province has a
different system. In Ontario, we pay a sliding scale as part of
provincial income tax - the max is $900. But in truth the federal
government, because they have greater powers of taxation, also
transfers money to the provinces for things like health care and
education, even though the provinces run those programs. Feds raise
money and the provinces spend....

The GST doesn't go directly into healthcare, it goes to general
revenue, though a small portion is allocated to pay off the national
debt. People who earn less than $30000 a year get a GST credit.

I found figure for healthcare from 2003 - showing Canada spent 121.4
billion on healthcare, or $3,939 per person. Our healthcare spending
is less as a percentage of GDP than the US (9.7 versus 13.9 %).

I don't know how much revenue comes in from the GST.

Hope that helps.

James

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2008, 4:49:44 PM3/24/08
MD <maryamda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it true that Canadians pay 15% tax on most items

Nope.

> and how much of that is to cover the cost of the national health care system?

Not much of it.

William Souden

Mar 24, 2008, 5:48:42 PM3/24/08
Rod, you have been behaving and posting coherent messages recently.
MY guess is the welfare payment came and you are back on your meds.
Remember, when the payment comes you should immediately buy enough meds
to last until the next payment.

William Souden
sales fool/racetrack bum

The Henchman

Mar 24, 2008, 6:23:21 PM3/24/08

"MD" <maryamda...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is it true that Canadians pay 15% tax on most items and how much of
> that is to cover the cost of the national health care system?

Canada and my Province of Ontario spend more servicing debt than we do on
Health Care.

American's have a Health Savings Account. Canadians don't.

Cal Bronson

Mar 24, 2008, 6:46:41 PM3/24/08
On Mar 24, 2:23 pm, "The Henchman" <don'tas...@iampoor.net> wrote:
> "MD" <maryamdaneshm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The United States needs health care reform. But even if that ever
actually
happens, Health Savings Accounts are a way to get your family insured
right now
while putting 100% tax deductible money in the bank, and then be able
to use that money tax free at any time -- for doctor visit co-pays,
prescription co-pays, etc.

http://thepoliticsofhealthcare.wordpress.com

James

Mar 25, 2008, 8:51:37 AM3/25/08
On Mar 24, 6:23 pm, "The Henchman" <don'tas...@iampoor.net> wrote:
> "MD" <maryamdaneshm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why would Canadians need one?

Except for things like dental work, drugs and other things not
covered, the basics are paid.

James