CFL's

1 view

aest...@hotmail.com

Oct 30, 2007, 4:26:44 AM10/30/07
What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
lights?

Greggie Gibson

Oct 30, 2007, 4:37:40 AM10/30/07
"aest...@hotmail.com" <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
> lights?

Get a better CFL or better yet get an LED light which is even more
efficient.

max

Oct 30, 2007, 4:54:13 AM10/30/07
In article <1193732804.1...@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
"aest...@hotmail.com" <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
> lights?

what do you mean? what about CFLs do you think gives you headaches?

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

Anthony Matonak

Oct 30, 2007, 11:47:40 AM10/30/07
aest...@hotmail.com wrote:
> What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
> lights?

a) See a Doctor.
b) Don't use CFLs.
c) Find a better bridge to hide under.

Anthony

John Weiss

Oct 30, 2007, 1:28:01 PM10/30/07
<aest...@hotmail.com> wrote...

> What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
> lights?

For some uses, you can now buy LED lights, which are as efficient (or better) as
CFLs. They are still relatively expensive, but prices will continuously drop as
production ramps up.

Jeff

Oct 30, 2007, 2:07:02 PM10/30/07
John Weiss wrote:
> <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote...
>
>>What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
>>lights?
>

> For some uses, you can now buy LED lights, which are as efficient (or better) as
> CFLs.

Really? Last I checked, which wasn't long ago, was that the best
commercially available LEDs were somewhat less efficient.

There are 12V drop ins for tracklighting replacements for halogens.
And there are some 120/220 replacements as well.

Jeff

Evelyn C. Leeper

Oct 30, 2007, 3:00:04 PM10/30/07
Jeff wrote:
> John Weiss wrote:
>> <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote...
>>
>>> What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
>>> lights?
>>
>> For some uses, you can now buy LED lights, which are as efficient (or
>> better) as CFLs.
>
> Really? Last I checked, which wasn't long ago, was that the best
> commercially available LEDs were somewhat less efficient.
>
> There are 12V drop ins for tracklighting replacements for halogens.
> And there are some 120/220 replacements as well.

The real difference seems to be that CFLs illuminate an entire room,
while LEDs (at least so far) are very good at lighting up a particular
object, but not in general room lighting.

Of course, this could change.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
He who knows only his own side of the case

Message has been deleted

Don Klipstein

Nov 3, 2007, 11:42:34 PM11/3/07
In <1193732804.1...@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
aest...@hotmail.com wrote:

>What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
>lights?

The usual blame is 120 Hz flicker. Electronic ballasts largely solve
that, and most CFLs have these.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Nov 3, 2007, 11:44:53 PM11/3/07

Sorry, most LED lights on the market now are less efficient than
the vast majority of CFLs. Most white LED lights also have an icy
cool color. Many also flicker worse than most CFLs.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Nov 3, 2007, 11:47:38 PM11/3/07
In article <13iesce...@corp.supernews.com>, Jeff wrote:
>John Weiss wrote:
>> <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote...
>>
>>>What about those of us who get eyestrain headaches from flourescent
>>>lights?
>>

>> For some uses, you can now buy LED lights, which are as efficient (or
>> better) as CFLs.
>
>Really? Last I checked, which wasn't long ago, was that the best
>commercially available LEDs were somewhat less efficient.

There are now a few LEDs on the market that are a little more efficient
then CFLs. I have yet to see an LED light on store shelves (not even
a flashlight or a bicycle light) that has such efficient LEDs.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Nov 3, 2007, 11:54:34 PM11/3/07
In article <slrnfiqg1...@manx.misty.com>, Don Klipstein wrote:

> Sorry, most LED lights on the market now are less efficient than
>the vast majority of CFLs. Most white LED lights also have an icy
>cool color. Many also flicker worse than most CFLs.

> - Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Just to clarify, I was talking about 120V screw-base lights.

I am aware of a few higher end LED flashlights and a couple LED work
lights with LEDs that have fluorescent-like efficiency. None of these has
been around long. I am an LED nut and I first got my hands on LEDs with
fluorescent-like efficiency in April 2006. One of these has
warmer-than-usual-white-LED color, but is still "cool white".

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

jason.ma...@verizon.net

Nov 7, 2007, 6:54:09 AM11/7/07
quoting:
> In article <slrnfiqg1l.8tm....@manx.misty.com>, Don Klipstein wrote:
> > Sorry, mostLEDlights on the market now are less efficient than
> >the vast majority of CFLs. Most whiteLEDlights also have an icy

> >cool color. Many also flicker worse than most CFLs.
> > - Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)
>
> Just to clarify, I was talking about 120V screw-base lights.
>
> I am aware of a few higher endLEDflashlights and a coupleLEDwork
> lights with LEDs that havefluorescent-like efficiency. None of these has
> been around long. I am anLEDnut and I first got my hands on LEDs withfluorescent-like efficiency in April 2006. One of these has
> warmer-than-usual-white-LEDcolor, but is still "cool white".

I see many people believe advertising that LED are the most/more
efficient. Usually it is downright wrong. What makes these believers
even wronger is the fact the next advancement is actually going
backwards. Incandescent. Something like silicon carbide filaments.
The LED believers can keep on dreaming because good old incandescent
is coming back to bite you.

For an LED light to be big enough, bright enough, and efficient enough
to compete with cfls and be used in general lighting, you need bigger
and fewer led's per "bulb". Idealy one big led per bulb. If we can
get a single led light, then it can certainly compete with cfls. The
main problem is heat. Even though it can be efficient enough to
compete with cfls, the LED chip is damaged at relatively low
temperature. The LED needs it's own dedicated cooling system. Thus
you will never see a screw-in led bulb that can replace a 60w bulb
with equal brightness. You would only get an entire led fixture with
the driver and cooling system built-in. Screw-in led bulbs of the
future just aren't happening. Only complete fixtures. But then we
have things like silicon carbide bulbs that should easily render LED's
to a niche market.

Greggie Gibson

Nov 8, 2007, 1:34:25 AM11/8/07

Don Klipstein

Nov 8, 2007, 9:53:03 PM11/8/07
In article <1194436449.3...@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
jason.ma...@verizon.net wrote:

I bet we will; it's just going to take a nother year or two, and a few
more years before something like that is on the market and with good color
and god color rendering and at a price at which they are not at a major
economic disadvantage against CFLs.

> You would only get an entire led fixture with
>the driver and cooling system built-in. Screw-in led bulbs of the
>future just aren't happening. Only complete fixtures. But then we
>have things like silicon carbide bulbs that should easily render LED's
>to a niche market.

Can you supply a link to silicon carbide incandescents? Somehow I have
managed to not hear about those as any significant technology for general
lighting.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

jason.ma...@verizon.net

Nov 22, 2007, 3:12:54 PM11/22/07
quoting:

> I bet we will; it's just going to take a nother year or two, and a few
> more years before something like that is on the market and with good color
> and god color rendering and at a price at which they are not at a major
> economic disadvantage against CFLs.

Perhaps since led's are directional anyways, we could see something in
a par38 bulb. A par38 bulb has more room inside. They've crammed a
ceramic metal halide tube and stripped-down ballast into a par38. It
can be a real challenge since the led chip is damaged at a low
temperature. Think computer processors. Early ones did not require
any cooling. As time went on, new ones are more powerfull in a small
package, heat becomes big issue. It's not much different for Led's.
The are all nice and cool running when you have lots of small ones in
a cluster because it spreads the heat out, but that hurts efficiency
because small of any bulb is less efficient. Now imagine trying to
cram the required heatsink and driver for a 10w single led that is a
60w replacement into something the size of an A-19 envelope and have
no fan and no way for the accumulated heat to escape.