Re: A Sign of the Times

Message has been deleted

turtlelover

Oct 18, 2008, 5:21:03 PM10/18/08
Derald wrote:
> Kellog's "Cocoa Crispies" in the new package has far less of the
> brown "chocolate" coating than the previous version and the flavor is
> far less reminiscent of chocolate (sigh); not that it ever really _was_
> very close, mind you....

We've never bought them, so I can't give a review -- but I do believe you.

Does the box indicate "New and improved"? I cringe whenever I see that notation, because it generally means "changed for the worse" (by consumer standards).

Cheers,
Turtlelover

Jeff

Oct 18, 2008, 5:38:11 PM10/18/08

I've been following the pricing of the Kroger apple juice. I used to
buy a good bit of it. Sometime back I saw it prominently displayed with
words like "Cost Cutter". The had just raised the price 19 cents.

Yesterday, I once more saw a prominent (end of aisle) store display
and sure enough, the price had gone up again.

Jeff

> Cheers,
> Turtlelover

Gordon

Oct 18, 2008, 6:46:59 PM10/18/08
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote in news:haydnZUt58aBtmfVnZ2dnUVZ_h-
dn...@earthlink.com:

> Kellog's "Cocoa Crispies" in the new package has far less of the
> brown "chocolate" coating than the previous version and the flavor is
> far less reminiscent of chocolate (sigh); not that it ever really _was_
> very close, mind you....

And it's probaly packaged in a 10oz box.

George

Oct 18, 2008, 9:26:02 PM10/18/08

I almost bought cranberry juice blend the other day. It was "Ocean
Spray" brand in the usual packaging except I noticed it said
"Cranjuice" instead of "Cranberry" as I was putting it in the cart. It
was only 15% juice and a blend of cheaper juice and cranberry juice.

Don Klipstein

Oct 19, 2008, 1:35:30 AM10/19/08

I have seen a supermarket game where they implement a price increase and
call it a "price cut" or "new lower price" or similar BS.

How that is done: Raise the price by a major jump, and *partially*
retreat from the price jump as soon as the jumped-up price qualifies as
"everyday price". I wonder if that is a week or a day or what.

And those end-of-aisle displays - I know well that those ain't always
stuff that they are trying to get rid of. I have found quite a bit of
those merely being displays of where there is profit to be made by pushing
products that get pushed well by such means.

Sometimes the end-of-aisle stuff is at price almost-loss-leader-low so
as to keep shoppers' eyes and brains having to work at full power! One
supermarket chain that I like to complain about (FreshGrocer) actually
sometimes has raisin bran cereal at truly decent prices at an end-of-aisle
display (in my experience)! They also have raisin bran at semi-decent
prices fairly frequently (in my experience)!

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Oct 19, 2008, 1:51:39 AM10/19/08

Please keep in mind that "100% juice" "cranberry juice (blend or
cocktail or whatever)" will have cranberry juice not being a majority of
the product.
Also keep in mind that "100% juice" mixed-juice products often have much
of the juice content being higher-sugar-lower-nutrition items that I would
call "junk juice", as in I would call most of that "minor improvement over
Kool-Aid", with the fruit that such "junk juice major ingredient is of"
(my wording) being either apple or white grape. My experience suggests to
me that "100% juice products" with "cranberry juice" are mostly "junk
juice".
It appears to me that "100% cranberry juice" is a very sour-tart product
comparable to either lime or lemon juice in strong-tartly-sourness and
also in cost.

And "cranberry juice product" (my wording/phrasing) with lack of "100%
juice", especially if such lack of "100% juice" is accompanied by presence
of "juice cocktail", then the product can easily be something that I would
describe "in my own words as" "25% juice 75% Kool-Aid". Along with some
significant chance that much of the actual juice content is from something
other than cranberries.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

George

Oct 19, 2008, 7:44:56 AM10/19/08

Not from my experience, typically cranberry juice is sold as 27% juice
with cranberries being the only fruit used. The new stuff I almost
bought was only 15% juice and it had cranberries and other juice.

100% cranberry juice isn't as commonly sold likely because it is so tart
as you said and you usually don't drink it straight.

I usually buy the 100% cranberry only juice if I see it but they only
had the other stuff including the misleading alternate cheaper product
(but not lower price) packaged to look the same.

Jeff

Oct 20, 2008, 1:04:33 AM10/20/08

I've nearly been mislead myself. I put back my 27% cranberry juice when
I spotted the "Cranberry 100% Juice" (or something like that). Careful
examination, lead to the discovery that it was not 100% cranberry, but
something like 17% cranberry and assorted other juices.

A new trick, all the time.

Lets face it, nobody drinks cranberry for the flavor!

Jeff

ares

Nov 4, 2008, 6:07:39 PM11/4/08
Ever notice that pomegranate tastes similar to cranberry?
Wonder if pure cranberry is just too sour.
ares

bulka

Nov 6, 2008, 11:26:17 PM11/6/08
I once got some 100% cranberry juice - don't remember why. Was in the
fridge, unopened, for a while. When I finally opened it - yow! Very
bitter, more than sour. Undrinkable. I think it must be sold to be
mixed with something else. Mixed with apple or something else mild,
just to the extent of getting some color, cranberry flavor, some bite
- makes sense to me.

Macuser

Dec 13, 2008, 6:55:26 PM12/13/08
For years, I saw lots of pennies on the side because they were no longer of
interest. Now, I hardly ever see them. It seems that people have returned to
picking up pennies. Do you pick up coins? I prefer they be five cents or
higher before I'll bend down.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

The Real Bev

Dec 13, 2008, 8:02:00 PM12/13/08

Macuser wrote:
> For years, I saw lots of pennies on the side because they were no longer of
> interest. Now, I hardly ever see them. It seems that people have returned to
> picking up pennies. Do you pick up coins? I prefer they be five cents or
> higher before I'll bend down.

I'll pick up any coin if I'm walking, but I won't get off my bicycle for
less than a nickel, and not even that if I have to stop in the middle of
an intersection.

I once found a $10 bill in the gutter. Sure I picked it up.

I used to pick up aluminum cans. When I had enough I turned them in and
bought a nifty Miyata bicycle.

--
Cheers, Bev
==============================

Bill

Dec 14, 2008, 10:08:26 AM12/14/08
I sure do pick up pennies. I always have and always will!

Something interesting I have noticed related to this...

Those people I know, who pick up pennies, are in very good shape
financially!

But those people I know, who "throw away" pennies, tell the cashier at
stores to keep the pennies, and walk past pennies on the ground, are in
TERRIBLE shape financially. They can't pay their bills on time, live beyond
their means, are impatient, make foolish purchases, etc.

Note that the people in poor shape financially may in fact make more money
than those in good financial condition, they just can't manage their money.
So not a matter of income levels necessarily.

Macuser

Dec 14, 2008, 11:12:44 AM12/14/08
I agree. And lots of people get rich from simply being thrifty. What I
mentioned in my original post was that I see far fewer pennies available to
be picked up now. More people seem to be willing to pick up free small
change these days.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ulti...@live.com

Dec 14, 2008, 12:44:57 PM12/14/08
On Dec 13, 5:02 pm, The Real Bev <bashley10...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Macuser wrote:
> > For years, I saw lots of pennies on the side because they were no longer of
> > interest. Now, I hardly ever see them. It seems that people have returned to
> > picking up pennies. Do you pick up coins? I prefer they be five cents or
> > higher before I'll bend down.
>
> I'll pick up any coin if I'm walking, but I won't get off my bicycle for
> less than a nickel, and not even that if I have to stop in the middle of
> an intersection.

The problem with pennies is that they are almost worth nothing, and
any amount that would approach worth something (usually still less
than a dollar) takes up a lot of phy$ical space . The logistics
involved in carrying 20 or even 10 dollars worth of pennies is an
absolute a nightmare and will royally piss of the clerk who has to
handle them. It';s no wonder vending machines don't take pennies. In
fact, I am surprised that they still take nickels.

When you get stuck with pennies and nickels, better to save them in a
large jug, and periodically enter them into your savings account so at
least you have something should TSHTF.

ange...@earthlink.net

Dec 14, 2008, 1:32:29 PM12/14/08
On Dec 13, 6:55 pm, "Macuser" <spamisalunch...@meat.com> wrote:
> For years, I saw lots of pennies on the side because they were no longer of
> interest. Now, I hardly ever see them. It seems that people have returned topickinguppennies. Do you pickupcoins? I prefer they be five cents or

> higher before I'll bend down.
>
> --http://cashcuddler.com
>
> "Thrift is sexy."

On Memorial Day, my daughters & I decided we'd begin picking up every
discarded coin and bill in our paths, to see how much we collect in an
entire year.
YTD, Me: $12.26. YTD, Daughter 1: $40 (all at once) YTD, Daughter 2:
Approx. $30 (including 2 $10 bills found on separate nights, w/-in a
few feet of each other)
Hot Spots for Coins:
Hess parking lot, any time
Any parking lot, near the car's door and trunk area
Little to No Coins:
Mall, restaurant parking lots

I stop my bicycle for coins when I see them, but haven't found the $10
bills that my daughters have found yet. Now that we have become
accustomed to finding money everywhere we go, I'm much more aware of
the fact that most of these coins aren't "lost." I teach at a major
university, and I have noticed that students purposely ignore the
coins that they drop, almost as a statement of their financial
security.

Dave Garland

Dec 14, 2008, 9:06:24 PM12/14/08
[alt.politics trimmed]

ulti...@live.com wrote:
> The problem with pennies is that they are almost worth nothing, and
> any amount that would approach worth something (usually still less
> than a dollar) takes up a lot of phy$ical space .

I don't understand. If I find a penny I add it to the change in my
pocket. At the store the total due is not usually an even amount. If
the amount due is $1.49 I'll give them exact change if I have it, or
add pennies to the payment so that my change will be an even amount.
You don't want them to *keep*, you want them to make change with. If
you do this (and don't forget) you'll never have more than four
pennies in your pocket.

Dave

tween...@mypacks.net

Dec 14, 2008, 9:32:52 PM12/14/08
On Oct 18, 8:26 pm, George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I almost bought cranberry juice blend the other day. It was "Ocean
> Spray" brand in the usual packaging except I noticed it said
> "Cranjuice" instead of "Cranberry" as I was putting it in the cart. It
> was only 15% juice and a blend of cheaper juice and cranberry juice.

One hundred percent cranberry juice is prob. about 20 bucks a quart
now - I used to see it in small bottles for 6 or 7 bucks in health
food stores. "Cocktail" was the key word to it not being 100%.

Message has been deleted

tween...@mypacks.net

Dec 15, 2008, 1:19:33 PM12/15/08
On Dec 14, 9:06 pm, Dave Garland <dave.garl...@wizinfo.com> wrote:
> [alt.politics trimmed]

Agree - using change sure beats paying Coinstar 8 %. I see many teens
using the machine - but far be if from me to lecture these young know-
it-alls.

Macuser

Dec 15, 2008, 1:46:13 PM12/15/08
Doesn't anybody ever pick up the lucky pennies and make a secret wish? :)

I would hate to get into a situation where my back or knees go out because I
was picking up coins. Pennies aren't worth the risk to me, so nickels are
borderline worthwhile.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 15, 2008, 1:50:15 PM12/15/08
On Dec 14, 10:08 am, "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I sure do pick up pennies. I always have and always will!
>
> Something interesting I have noticed related to this...
>
> Those people I know, who pick up pennies, are in very good shape
> financially!
>
> But those people I know, who "throw away" pennies, tell the cashier at
> stores to keep the pennies, and walk past pennies on the ground, are in
> TERRIBLE shape financially. They can't pay their bills on time, live beyond
> their means, are impatient, make foolish purchases, etc.

Nope. I leave coins on the pavement for someone who needs them more
than I
do. I pay my bills on time, live within my means, think hard before
buying things, and save all I can.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Garland

Dec 15, 2008, 2:15:07 PM12/15/08
Macuser wrote:
> Doesn't anybody ever pick up the lucky pennies and make a secret wish? :)

I have to admit, I consider finding money on the street a lucky omen.
When I do, I look around, sometimes there's more :)

> I would hate to get into a situation where my back or knees go out
> because I was picking up coins. Pennies aren't worth the risk to me, so
> nickels are borderline worthwhile.

Could be. But anyone whose health is so frail that they can't bend
over safely, it's probably not safe to bend over for any denomination.

Dave

Dave Garland

Dec 15, 2008, 2:25:37 PM12/15/08
ange...@earthlink.net wrote:
> Hot Spots for Coins:
> Hess parking lot, any time
> Any parking lot, near the car's door and trunk area
> Little to No Coins:
> Mall, restaurant parking lots

Around parking meters, especially when there's snow on the ground.
The coins reappear when it gets warm enough to melt the snow, early
spring is harvest time in Minnesota.

On the floor on the customer side of the checkout counter.

Pretty much anywhere that people are likely to be digging in their
pockets and fumbling with coins. Especially if it's cold or they'll
be in a big hurry, which makes them fumble more and retrieve less.

Sometimes at Aldi's people will abandon their shopping carts in the
lot (Aldi's uses carts that you have to return to the rack to retrieve
a ransom quarter). But kids know that too, and if they're around they
get there first (or offer to take your cart back to the store).

Dave

aemeijers

Dec 15, 2008, 7:03:46 PM12/15/08

Chuckle. BTDT (at a store in northern Europe, actually), and the kid
obviously needed the coin more than I did, so I smiled and said 'Sure'.
Nobody in the part of NA I live in does that, but I have seen it in New
Orleans, and back east.

--
aem sends...