need help: intel core 2 duo or amd turion 64x2

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 28, 2007, 3:51:42 PM11/28/07
for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would like
to be able to run future programs with no problem. i really don't know the
diff betw the 2.

Dennis

Nov 28, 2007, 4:00:29 PM11/28/07

You should definitely go for the Intel chip. I base this on the
superior technology and performance, plus I own a buttload of their
stock. ;-)

Dennis (evil)

Just A User

Nov 28, 2007, 6:00:52 PM11/28/07
Dennis wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:51:42 GMT, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately"
> <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would like
>> to be able to run future programs with no problem. i really don't know the
>> diff betw the 2.
>>

> You should definitely go for the Intel chip. I base this on the
> superior technology and performance, plus I own a buttload of their
> stock. ;-)
>
> Dennis (evil)

I second the vote for the intel chip. I have a Toshiba laptop with a
core 2 duo processor. I run windows media player, while surfing the net
on my wireless network while running a real time stock stock quote
program all at the same time an I have not noticed any lag at all.

John A. Weeks III

Nov 28, 2007, 6:03:19 PM11/28/07
In article <yxk3j.15711$281.336@trndny06>,
"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would like
> to be able to run future programs with no problem.

That is not a very good reason for investing in expensive computer
equipment. By the time the future comes, what you already have will
be obsolete. Wait until you need the fancy gizmo before buying it
since anything you buy today will already be out of date, and anything
you buy then will have dropped in price by 10% to 25% per year.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

John Weiss

Nov 28, 2007, 7:11:52 PM11/28/07
"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote...

> for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would like to
> be able to run future programs with no problem. i really don't know the diff
> betw the 2.

There are not only differences between the 2, but there are differences within
the dual-core lines, especially in cache size and clock speed. The "bottom of
the barrel" are not worth buying, IMO, in either line.

Look at the AMD and Intel web sites and find the "heart of the envelope" for
both lines -- constant cache size, only clock speed as a variable. Decide on
the acceptable model numbers for your purposes, then find suitably equipped
laptops with those CPUs. Buy by price and other features you like/need.

Jon v Leipzig

Nov 29, 2007, 7:01:42 AM11/29/07

Probably no need to read the entire 12 pages. This snippette is from the
last page; _Conclusions_

AMD Turion 64 X2 Meets Intel's Mobile Core 2 Duo

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/27/dual_core_notebook_cpus_explored/

Intel's Core processor family is rather dominant, and clearly offers
better performance than the Turion 64 X2 family.
<snip>
Last but not least, keep processor performance in perspective: weight
and battery runtime may be even more important to you anyway. In the
end, we consider it very important to compare complete notebooks (and
their costs) rather than focusing on CPU performance too much.

Get step-by-step advice with the CNET laptop finder
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 29, 2007, 3:41:31 PM11/29/07

"John A. Weeks III" <jo...@johnweeks.com> wrote in message

> In article <yxk3j.15711$281.336@trndny06>,
> "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would
>> like
>> to be able to run future programs with no problem.
>
> That is not a very good reason for investing in expensive computer
> equipment. By the time the future comes, what you already have will
> be obsolete. Wait until you need the fancy gizmo before buying it
> since anything you buy today will already be out of date, and anything
> you buy then will have dropped in price by 10% to 25% per year.

my husband really needs an updated computer as his is about 5yrs old.
he's beginning to have problems running some software he needs to run.
we've been waiting, but i think it's getting critical.

mine is only 2 yrs old and still does what i need.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 29, 2007, 3:45:18 PM11/29/07

"John A. Weeks III" <jo...@johnweeks.com> wrote in message
> In article <yxk3j.15711$281.336@trndny06>,
> "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would
>> like
>> to be able to run future programs with no problem.
>
> That is not a very good reason for investing in expensive computer
> equipment. By the time the future comes, what you already have will
> be obsolete. Wait until you need the fancy gizmo before buying it
> since anything you buy today will already be out of date, and anything
> you buy then will have dropped in price by 10% to 25% per year.

i noticed that you're a photographer. dh would like to get into some
amateur
photography. could you recommend books, and a reasonably priced camera
that he could start with?

thanks.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 29, 2007, 3:46:17 PM11/29/07

"John Weiss" <jrweiss98...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message

thank you. i had a feeling that the cache size could be important.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 29, 2007, 4:31:14 PM11/29/07

"Jon v Leipzig" <J...@myday.com> wrote in message

> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>> for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would
>> like to be able to run future programs with no problem. i really don't
>> know the diff betw the 2.
>
> Probably no need to read the entire 12 pages. This snippette is from the
> last page; _Conclusions_
>

> AMD Turion 64 X2 Meets Intel's Mobile Core 2 Duo
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/27/dual_core_notebook_cpus_explored/
>

> Intel's Core processor family is rather dominant, and clearly offers
> better performance than the Turion 64 X2 family.

yes, i was able to see that, but just how much better, and can i compensate
by bumping up
to the next faster processor? and is the intel a 32x2? if so, would the
amd's 64x2 be better
for the future for some reason? we tend to keep computers at least 5yrs if
we can, and in
fact kept our 1st one (486 with a whopping 40mb hard drive :) for 8 or so.
as long as they
do what we need, we don't feel the need to get the latest thing out. but
when we do, we feel
it's best to spend a little more and get one that will accomodate future
needs as much as possible.
i really don't know much about the technical side. i know processor speed,
cache, and ram are
important. i know i need a large enough hd and i know they have different
speeds as well, as
do dvd drives.

> Last but not least, keep processor performance in perspective: weight and
> battery runtime may be even more important to you anyway. In the end, we
> consider it very important to compare complete notebooks (and their costs)
> rather than focusing on CPU performance too much.

wt and battery are not considerations at it'll mainly be used as a desktop.
but we do
need the ability to take it with when needed.

i'll check out the link below.

thanks so much.

kiran.s...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2007, 5:19:13 AM12/4/07
On Nov 29, 7:01 am, Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> > for laptop. not really into gaming or heavy graphic stuff, but would like
> > to be able to run future programs with no problem. i really don't know the
> > diff betw the 2.
>
> Probably no need to read the entire 12 pages. This snippette is from the
> last page; _Conclusions_
>
> AMDTurion 64 X2 Meets Intel's Mobile Core 2 Duo
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/27/dual_core_notebook_cpus_explored/
>
> Intel's Coreprocessorfamily is rather dominant, and clearly offers

> better performance than the Turion 64 X2 family.
> <snip>
> Last but not least, keepprocessorperformance in perspective: weight

> and battery runtime may be even more important to you anyway. In the
> end, we consider it very important to compare complete notebooks (and
> their costs) rather than focusing on CPU performance too much.

> Get step-by-step advice with the CNET laptop finderhttp://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/

While looking at the performance of x86 processor, look for TDP,
Battery Life, performance per watt and importantly the pricing. One
thing I really noticed about AMD 64 X2 is that all three factors are
much better as compared to that of Intel processor plus I don't get my
lap burned while working on my laptop. AMD has a tool "Dual core
Optimizer" which adds a value to processor's performance.