vacuum cleaner-comparison-best buy

1 view

augus...@hotmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 1:26:03 PM11/7/07
Hello there,
can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
association reporting the best buy ?
Thanks for your suggestions!
Augusto

Adrian C

Nov 7, 2007, 3:17:45 PM11/7/07

Search http://www.google.it/ for Italy's version of our 'consumer
association'.

Products recommended in a UK group (or misc.consumers.frugal-living
where a broom would be suggested [1]) would not necessarily be
distributed in your country.

FWIW, the 'henry' from Numatic has a good following here.
http://www.numatic.com

[1] - only kidding folks... ;-)

--
Adrian C

Bob Eager

Nov 7, 2007, 3:33:43 PM11/7/07

Henry.

http://www.diybanter.com

waldoc...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 4:20:09 PM11/7/07
On Nov 7, 3:33 pm, "Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:26:03 UTC, "augusto...@hotmail.com"

> <augusto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello there,
> > can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
> > know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
> > association reporting the best buy ?
> > Thanks for your suggestions!
>
> Henry.
>
> --
> The information contained in this post is copyright the
> poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by
> http://www.diybanter.com

man get the hell out of here

Bob Eager

Nov 7, 2007, 4:34:19 PM11/7/07
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:20:09 UTC, waldoc...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Nov 7, 3:33 pm, "Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:26:03 UTC, "augusto...@hotmail.com"
> >
> > <augusto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > > can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
> > > know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
> > > association reporting the best buy ?
> > > Thanks for your suggestions!
> >
> > Henry.

> man get the hell out of here

What are you on? Perfectly reasonable answer. Unless you're a frugal
liver/Amish!

Andy Champ

Nov 7, 2007, 4:51:08 PM11/7/07
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:20:09 UTC, waldoc...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 3:33 pm, "Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>> Henry.
>
>> man get the hell out of here
>
> What are you on? Perfectly reasonable answer. Unless you're a frugal
> liver/Amish!

Which? don't rate it at all well. In fact, unusually, it gets rated
DON'T buy...

Andy

Bob Eager

Nov 7, 2007, 4:58:18 PM11/7/07

So that's a positive recommendation, then! Which? are notoriously
flaky...whereas many people find it good value and efficient and
reliable.

me

Nov 7, 2007, 5:00:52 PM11/7/07

"Andy Champ" <no....@nospam.com> wrote in message
I have used one and it wasn't great - I would recommend Miele

Tim..

Nov 7, 2007, 5:13:53 PM11/7/07

<augus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If you have £160 or so, then the mid range Miele's outstrip anything else.
Period.

If you have only £100, then get a Henry.

Don't bother with anything else.

Tim..

The Medway Handyman

Nov 7, 2007, 7:06:18 PM11/7/07
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:51:08 UTC, Andy Champ <no....@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Bob Eager wrote:

>>> What are you on? Perfectly reasonable answer. Unless you're a frugal
>>> liver/Amish!
>>>
>> Which? don't rate it at all well. In fact, unusually, it gets rated
>> DON'T buy...
>
> So that's a positive recommendation, then! Which? are notoriously
> flaky...whereas many people find it good value and efficient and
> reliable.

Regardless of what Which might say, Henry is the best selling vac in the UK
comercial cleaning market by a huge margin. Cleaning contractors don't ask
for 'vacuums' or 'hoovers' they ask for 'Henrys'. Daily office cleaning is
the toughest sector of the small dry vac market and the Numatic Henry &
varients have totaly dominated it for the last 20 years.

Every major multi national manufacturer in the world has tried to better
Henry & pals and failed miserably.

There is a very good reason for this........

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Andy Dingley

Nov 7, 2007, 8:51:24 PM11/7/07
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:06:18 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>There is a very good reason for this........

But what is that? Is it really beyond the wit of vacuum cleaner
designers to take one of the cheaper products on the market and make
something comparably good? Yet no-one seems capable of it. Henry isn't
earth-shatteringly good in some peculiar manner, but no other maker
seems to get anywhere close to it. Dyson charge an arm and a leg, but
they can't even make a reliable mains flex!

Mind you, I'd spend the few extra quid and get the even better
steel-cased Henry instead, the NVQ250 (they ought to call it "Ron")

Andy Dingley

Nov 7, 2007, 8:55:41 PM11/7/07
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:13:53 -0000, "Tim.."
<the.f...@spam.btinternet.com> wrote:

>If you have £160 or so, then the mid range Miele's outstrip anything else.
>Period.

Apart from a slight tendency to catch fire in standby mode
http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_safety/recalls/detail.asp?id=428
http://latexiron.livejournal.com/416790.html

Clive George

Nov 7, 2007, 9:02:33 PM11/7/07
"Andy Dingley" <din...@codesmiths.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:13:53 -0000, "Tim.."
> <the.f...@spam.btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>If you have £160 or so, then the mid range Miele's outstrip anything else.
>>Period.
>
> Apart from a slight tendency to catch fire in standby mode

Standby mode? For a vacuum cleaner? Isn't "big switch" the appropriate
control device?

cheers,
clive

Shawn Hirn

Nov 8, 2007, 1:08:15 AM11/8/07
Message has been deleted

Chris Game

Nov 8, 2007, 6:11:41 AM11/8/07
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:51:08 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

> Which? don't rate it at all well. In fact, unusually, it gets rated
> DON'T buy...

I don't think that's true - the latest report seems to be April
which doesn't have such a rating for Henry. Do you have a reference?

Although it has to be said there is a design fault somewhere in the
machine which stops the reduced power setting from working properly
after a (short) time.

--
Chris Game

"If everything seems under control, you're
just not going fast enough." -- Mario Andretti

Chris Game

Nov 8, 2007, 6:12:46 AM11/8/07
On 8 Nov 2007 09:55:55 GMT, Huge wrote:

> Standby mode? On a *vacuum* *cleaner*?????

Presumably for convenience, using the remote control?

--
Chris Game

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left
to chance. -Robert R. Coveyou Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Owain

Nov 8, 2007, 6:26:33 AM11/8/07
Chris Game wrote:
> Huge wrote:
>>Standby mode? On a *vacuum* *cleaner*?????
> Presumably for convenience, using the remote control?

With a "snooze" button?

Owain

ARWadsworth

Nov 8, 2007, 11:58:29 AM11/8/07

"Owain" <owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote in message

Why not.

You can buy robotic vacuum cleaners that are self learning and do it for
you. The newer models can be set to clean on certain days and automatically
bastards do not do stairs though, you have to leave that to the wife.

Adam

Nov 8, 2007, 3:14:40 PM11/8/07
On 07/11/2007 18:26 augus...@hotmail.com wrote:

> can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)?

Miele Cat and Dog

Rick Hughes

Nov 8, 2007, 3:32:55 PM11/8/07

<augus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Built in a BEAM ... Serenity Plus ...... great bit of kit

Andy Champ

Nov 8, 2007, 3:46:28 PM11/8/07

"Consumers Union of U.S., Inc.". US appliances will be different to
Europe owing to the different voltage.

Andy

Andy Champ

Nov 8, 2007, 3:53:11 PM11/8/07
Chris Game wrote:

> I don't think that's true - the latest report seems to be April
> which doesn't have such a rating for Henry. Do you have a reference?

I have a web subscription. Report dated 19 Oct 2007.

"We rarely find an upright vacuum cleaner that's good at every task but
performance of some models is so disappointing we'd recommend all Which?
readers give them a miss."

I don't want to post the whole report up, that'd be a bit of a copyright
violation.

Andy

Owain

Nov 8, 2007, 3:06:00 PM11/8/07
ARWadsworth wrote:
> You can buy robotic vacuum cleaners ...
> The lazy bastards do not do stairs though, you have to leave that to
> the wife.

Don't have stairs or wife. Life's simple.

Owain

Bob Eager

Nov 8, 2007, 4:01:45 PM11/8/07
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:53:11 UTC, Andy Champ <no....@nospam.com> wrote:

> Chris Game wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that's true - the latest report seems to be April
> > which doesn't have such a rating for Henry. Do you have a reference?
> >
> I have a web subscription. Report dated 19 Oct 2007.
>
> "We rarely find an upright vacuum cleaner that's good at every task but
> performance of some models is so disappointing we'd recommend all Which?
> readers give them a miss."

But...but....you were talking about a Henry...which is NOT an upright!

Steve

Nov 8, 2007, 5:49:39 PM11/8/07
Miele. Their cheap ones are almost as good as their very expensive ones...

augus...@hotmail.com

Nov 8, 2007, 7:21:09 PM11/8/07

> I have a web subscription. Report dated 19 Oct 2007.
>
> "We rarely find an upright vacuum cleaner that's good at every task but
> performance of some models is so disappointing we'd recommend all Which?
> readers give them a miss."
>
> I don't want to post the whole report up, that'd be a bit of a copyright
> violation.
>
> Andy

Which are the best 3 cylinder choices? ;)

Owain

Nov 8, 2007, 7:07:59 PM11/8/07
Steve wrote:
> Miele. Their cheap ones are almost as good as their very expensive ones...

Since when have Miele done cheap anything?

(I don't mean the TCO as calculated by Hall's Law)

Owain

The Real Bev

Nov 9, 2007, 12:04:21 AM11/9/07
augus...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> I have a web subscription. Report dated 19 Oct 2007.
>>
>> "We rarely find an upright vacuum cleaner that's good at every task but
>> performance of some models is so disappointing we'd recommend all Which?
>> readers give them a miss."
>>
>> I don't want to post the whole report up, that'd be a bit of a copyright
>> violation.
>

> Which are the best 3 cylinder choices? ;)

I think Kawasaki is the ONLY choice.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Message has been deleted

Andy Champ

Nov 9, 2007, 3:20:27 PM11/9/07
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:53:11 UTC, Andy Champ <no....@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris Game wrote:
>>> I don't think that's true - the latest report seems to be April
>>> which doesn't have such a rating for Henry. Do you have a reference?
>>>
>> I have a web subscription. Report dated 19 Oct 2007.
>>
>> "We rarely find an upright vacuum cleaner that's good at every task but
>> performance of some models is so disappointing we'd recommend all Which?
>> readers give them a miss."
>
> But...but....you were talking about a Henry...which is NOT an upright!

That's a bloody good point - and it really *is* what they said!

Augusto, it says this:

"Subscriber-only content (s)
Premium content is available to subscribers only. To gain full access
to all areas of this report, plus a wealth of unique features from
Which?, please log-in or sign up now.

Best Buys (s)
A Best Buy vacuum cleaner will pick up dirt others leave behind."

I'm really *not* prepared to break the law for you lot.

There's always

"30 day trial offer:
Try Which? to access all our reports, guides and interactive features -
just £1.00 for 30 days"

That's what I did, then forgot to cancel the darnn thing in time!

Andy

karen

Nov 9, 2007, 4:05:52 PM11/9/07
On 9 Nov, 09:23, Huge <H...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

> On 2007-11-08, Andy Champ <no....@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Chris Game wrote:
>
> >> I don't think that's true - the latest report seems to be April
> >> which doesn't have such a rating for Henry. Do you have a reference?
>
> > I have a web subscription. Report dated 19 Oct 2007.
>
> > "We rarely find an upright vacuum cleaner that's good at every task but
> > performance of some models is so disappointing we'd recommend all Which?
> > readers give them a miss."
>
> Typical misleading, incorrect "Which?" crap.
>
> Our Sebo X1 beats the pants off any cylinder vacuum I've ever used.

Seconded.

Colin Wilson

Nov 10, 2007, 11:44:12 AM11/10/07
> can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
> know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
> association reporting the best buy ?

Nilfisk GM80

Not easy to find, but a recent reply from a regular to the same
question on uk.d-i-y said he used to work for them, and the odds are
if you're over 30, it'll last longer than you.

If you hunt around a bit, you can get them for about £180 IIRC.

The Medway Handyman

Nov 10, 2007, 1:57:21 PM11/10/07
Colin Wilson wrote:
>> can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
>> know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
>> association reporting the best buy ?
>
> Nilfisk GM80
>
> Not easy to find, but a recent reply from a regular to the same
> question on uk.d-i-y said he used to work for them, and the odds are
> if you're over 30, it'll last longer than you.

<WAVES> :-)

> If you hunt around a bit, you can get them for about £180 IIRC.

Kostas Kavoussanakis

Nov 10, 2007, 2:33:57 PM11/10/07

augus...@hotmail.com

Nov 11, 2007, 12:41:27 PM11/11/07
On 9 Nov, 21:20, Andy Champ <no....@nospam.com> wrote:

> "Subscriber-only content (s)
> Premium content is available to subscribers only. To gain full access
> to all areas of this report, plus a wealth of unique features from
> Which?, please log-in or sign up now.
>
> Best Buys (s)
> A Best Buy vacuum cleaner will pick up dirt others leave behind."
>
> I'm really *not* prepared to break the law for you lot.
>
> There's always
>
> "30 day trial offer:
> Try Which? to access all our reports, guides and interactive features -
> just £1.00 for 30 days"
>
> That's what I did, then forgot to cancel the darnn thing in time!
>
> Andy

I followed your suggestion but....it seems they do not accept any
subscription or trial from Italy...
Thanks in any case.
A.

ibuysmart

Nov 14, 2007, 1:30:38 PM11/14/07
On Nov 8, 6:08 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <1194459963.920975.120...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,

> "augusto...@hotmail.com" <augusto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello there,
> > can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
> > know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
> > association reporting the best buy ?
> > Thanks for your suggestions!
> > Augusto
>
> Checkhttp://www.consumerreports.org/

HI there,
Try my website
www.ibuysmart.co.uk

I've got loads of Vaccum Cleaners

Thanks

ibuysmart

Nov 14, 2007, 1:31:37 PM11/14/07
On Nov 8, 8:32 pm, "Rick Hughes" <rick_hug...@btconnect.com> wrote:
> <augusto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hi There
Try www.ibuysmart.co.uk

Frank Erskine

Nov 14, 2007, 3:10:21 PM11/14/07
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:30:38 -0800, ibuysmart
<ibuy...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>HI there,
>Try my website

<snip>>

>I've got loads of Vaccum Cleaners

...but still can't spell vacuum.

--
Frank Erskine

geoff

Nov 14, 2007, 3:45:49 PM11/14/07
In message <1195065038.7...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
ibuysmart <ibuy...@googlemail.com> writes
You can't even spell vacuum -

spamming cunt

Who's up for a complaint to his ISP ?

--
geoff

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Nov 15, 2007, 10:05:24 AM11/15/07
augus...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello there,
> can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner (cylinder one)? Do you
> know any useful and recent test/comparison made by some consumers
> association reporting the best buy ?
> Thanks for your suggestions!
> Augusto

Avoid the cylinder vacs. Look at commercial vacuums. In the U.S.,
Eureka, Hoover, and Panasonic make commercial vacuums, but you won't
find them at your local discount department store.

Eureka model C5712A is one good one, see "http://tinyurl.com/22lpep".

Above all, don't buy vacuum cleaners based on how much current the motor
draws, which seems to be a popular way that consumers choose (more has
to be better, right?).

Ironically, now the commercial machines seem to be less expensive than
the fancy consumer machines, but the commercial units clean just as
well, and last far longer.