Any Good Methods for Filtering and Reusing Cooking Oil ?

Jeffy3

Jul 11, 2008, 3:26:42 PM7/11/08
I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese cloth
or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much so
I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
in. Does anybody have any good ideas ?

Rod Speed

Jul 11, 2008, 4:05:12 PM7/11/08
Jeffy3 <jef...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Dont bother to filter it, just reuse it unfiltered.

W. Stief

Jul 11, 2008, 4:33:58 PM7/11/08

How about a piece of metal window screen folded like a funnel or basket?

Jeffy3

Jul 11, 2008, 4:36:33 PM7/11/08

I guess what I'm asking is for methods that can handle a lot of oil at
once without having to stand there and and keep pouring little bits at
a time.

Rod Speed

Jul 11, 2008, 4:45:43 PM7/11/08
Jeffy3 <jef...@hotmail.com> wrote

A big enough filter that will hold all the oil.

Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

Lou

Jul 11, 2008, 7:34:46 PM7/11/08

"Jeffy3" <jef...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Whatever you use, make sure it's food safe - no way would I use window
screening or anything like that.

You could try getting a bigger funnel so that you could pour more/all of the
used oil into it at once, but the problem with using a funnel is that the
oil has to exit through the spout and so most of the oil will seep through
just a small part of your filter. That part of the filter will rapidly clog
and the whole process just gets slower and slower.

I think the key to speeding up the process is to increase the filter surface
area. Try something like a kitchen sieve lined with whatever you choose to
use as a filter, and let the filtered oil drip into a bowl, pot, or whatever
you have on hand that's big enough to suspend the sieve in and hold all the
oil.

The other thing is that, if you let the oil sit for a while, you'll notice
that at least some of the contaminants will settle to the bottom. Once that
happens, pour the oil off carefully so as not to dump the contaminants into
the filter. You'll miss a few spoons full of oil, but if you don't clog the
filter the whole process should go a lot quicker.

Bob F

Jul 11, 2008, 8:29:58 PM7/11/08

"Lou" <lpo...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:q6Sdk.36$6O4.33@trnddc06...
After carefully pouring the cleaner oil through the filter, dump the dirty stuff
at the bottom in and wait, to cut down the loss.

Use some wire screen or similar to separate the filter from the side of the
funnel to increase the available filter area. Filter area pressed against a
smooth funnel surface won't pass much oil.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 12, 2008, 1:27:42 AM7/12/08
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:36:33 -0700 (PDT), Jeffy3 <jef...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 11, 4:33?pm, "W. Stief" <n...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Jeffy3 wrote:
>> > I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese cloth
>> > or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
>> > funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much so
>> > I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil

>> > in. ? ?Does anybody have any good ideas ?

>> How about a piece of metal window screen folded like a funnel or basket?
>
>I guess what I'm asking is for methods that can handle a lot of oil at
>once without having to stand there and and keep pouring little bits at
>a time.

I use to have to do this all the time at the drive-in. The oil should
be a saturated oil, peanut oil, or lard. Don't recycle canola or
olive oil unless you like rancid oil. Oil will filter much faster if
it is hot -very hot. If you have a coffee filter in a funnel, stick
some straws between the filter and the funnel to open up the filter
material and keep it from sticking to the funnel. You can also do a
double filter, by using old sheets to get the larger crud, then the
coffee filters to get the fine stuff. It really doesn't make much
difference if you get it all. You are trying to get out the
uncarbonized food remnants so that the oil smalls less like fish or
chicken when you cook french fries. The small carbonized stuff won't
add to the flavor anyway.

Another trick is to fry up the potato skins after cooking fish or
chicken. The potato skins will absorb a lot of the odors.

Rod Speed

Jul 12, 2008, 8:53:57 AM7/12/08
Rod Speed, ye dissembling publican, let's meet as little as we can, ye
blew out:

> There's nothing odd about a person my age pursuing an attractive and
> mature 15-year old!

Rod Speed

Jul 12, 2008, 8:54:07 AM7/12/08
Rod Speed, ye raw-boned pigeon-liver, your peevish chastity is not worth
a breakfast in the cheapest country, ye slobbered:

> I was having sex last night and the condom got stuck inside me, the
> whole thing but i can't even feel it, what should i do?, is it going
> to come out on its own? btw, I am gay.

W. Stief

Jul 13, 2008, 1:15:50 PM7/13/08

OK,
use a stainless screen colander and a stainless bucket = $$$.
as for frugal, wash and dry the window screen, it's aluminum same as
your pots and pans.
sheesh, I gotta lead you around by the nose.