flush da toilet with rain-water

A Veteran

Oct 15, 2007, 1:51:15 PM10/15/07
our local University has built a "green" bldg. it collects rain water to
flush the toilets. for at least 5 months in a very rainey North West.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.

Beloved Leader

Oct 15, 2007, 9:41:07 PM10/15/07
On Oct 15, 1:51 pm, A Veteran <geor...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
> our local University has built a "green" bldg. it collects rain water to
> flush the toilets. for at least 5 months in a very rainey North West.

The new T. C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Virginia, is like
this. There is a 500,000 gallon cistern underneath the school to hold
rain water used for flushing the toilets.

Jeff

Oct 16, 2007, 6:17:30 PM10/16/07
A Veteran wrote:
> our local University has built a "green" bldg. it collects rain water to
> flush the toilets. for at least 5 months in a very rainey North West.

I saw a grey water recycling for flushing toilets. It was rather simple
as it collected shower water in a small cistern and filtered it for the
toilet line. I thought it well done.

http://bracsystems.com

Saw it during the National Solar Open House at a local home. It's a
rediculous amount of money though... but I still like the idea.

Jeff

James

Oct 16, 2007, 6:58:57 PM10/16/07

An outhouse or composting toilet is even better since all that shit
don't have to go through sewerage treatment plant.

Jeff

Oct 16, 2007, 9:44:29 PM10/16/07
I don't know of an urban or suburban setting where an outhouse is
allowed.

Jeff

Anthony Matonak

Oct 17, 2007, 2:12:08 AM10/17/07
Jeff wrote:
> James wrote:

>> An outhouse or composting toilet is even better since all that shit
>> don't have to go through sewerage treatment plant.
>>
> I don't know of an urban or suburban setting where an outhouse is
> allowed.

I don't know about outhouses but certainly composting and incinerating
toilets are allowed in cities. Septic systems may also be allowed in
some areas.

All this is really beside the point as 90+ percent of the water use
in the United States (and probably elsewhere) is used in agriculture
and industry. Your flush is like a drop in the bucket compared their
use of water.

Anthony

Logan Shaw

Oct 17, 2007, 2:29:15 AM10/17/07
James wrote:
> An outhouse or composting toilet is even better since all that shit
> don't have to go through sewerage treatment plant.

What's so bad about a wastewater treatment plant? Sure, it costs money
to operate one, but specialized toilet alternatives also cost money to
operate. And sometimes wastewater treatment plants send the, um,
excess off to be used as fertilizer. It seems to me they have the same
benefits but just do everything on a larger scale.

- Logan

Jeff

Oct 17, 2007, 8:45:59 AM10/17/07

Except when where you live has a limited water supply that must be
shared by all the residents. I don't really understand the problem
downstream as it seems that most of that water is processed and
returned. Yet water is a serious problem and where I live all outdoor
watering has been banned. With a projection to double the population in
the next 15 years, I don't think they have thought hard enough about
supplying water. Some days I wonder if we'll go the ways of the great
Mayan cities...

Jeff

> Anthony

rick++

Oct 17, 2007, 4:52:31 PM10/17/07
Unfortunately this was banned during some 1980s California droughts
I lived it. Cities were afraid of disease getting into the system.

The Real Bev

Oct 30, 2007, 10:44:59 PM10/30/07
Anthony Matonak wrote:

> All this is really beside the point as 90+ percent of the water use
> in the United States (and probably elsewhere) is used in agriculture
> and industry. Your flush is like a drop in the bucket compared their
> use of water.

Irrelevant if homeowners have to pay $80/month for <3000 gallons.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross