"U.S. court: currency discriminates against the blind"

jd

May 20, 2008, 5:36:26 PM5/20/08
An appeals court said that currency discriminates against the blind because
blind folks can't tell what the denomination of their bills are. This is
another bullshit, frivilous case. Next, the courts will be saying that
Harley-Davidson discriminates against the blind because blind people can't
operate motorcycles.

There are some stupid judges and attorneys. Obviously, common sense isn't
a requirement to go into law.

A simple way for blind people to handle money is for them to ask the bank
clerk for all $5's when they take money out of the bank. They could even
ask for the bank manager to count the money to make sure they weren't
duped. So if they go to Borders to buy a CD and the total comes to $13.
They can peel off 3 $5's out of their pouch of $5's and hand them to the
clerk. And then when they get $2 back, they can rest assured that the 2
bills are both $1's because the clerk certainly wouldn't give them back 2
$10's.

They can have a specially shaped pouch for $20's, one for $5's, etc.. So
they know what's in each pouch.

Seerialmom

May 20, 2008, 8:12:08 PM5/20/08

> ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Should be interesting to see how this pans out. On a semi-related
note, a long time cashier at the main courthouse in Sacramento is
blind. AFAIK he hasn't been cheated by patrons, even though $1 feels
the same as $5?

Lou

May 20, 2008, 8:30:57 PM5/20/08

"jd" <no...@yodoor.biz> wrote in message

> An appeals court said that currency discriminates against the blind
because
> blind folks can't tell what the denomination of their bills are. This is
> another bullshit, frivilous case. Next, the courts will be saying that
> Harley-Davidson discriminates against the blind because blind people can't
> operate motorcycles.
>
> There are some stupid judges and attorneys. Obviously, common sense isn't
> a requirement to go into law.
>
> A simple way for blind people to handle money is for them to ask the bank
> clerk for all $5's when they take money out of the bank. They could even
> ask for the bank manager to count the money to make sure they weren't
> duped. So if they go to Borders to buy a CD and the total comes to $13.
> They can peel off 3 $5's out of their pouch of $5's and hand them to the
> clerk. And then when they get $2 back, they can rest assured that the 2
> bills are both $1's because the clerk certainly wouldn't give them back 2
> $10's.
>
> They can have a specially shaped pouch for $20's, one for $5's, etc.. So
> they know what's in each pouch.

I seem to recall that at least some European countries have had paper money
in different sizes for different denominations, and I have a hazy memory
that at one time that was the practice in the US as well.

Without commenting on the merits or otherwise of the ruling, under your
scenario an unscrupulous bank teller could count out bills of any
denomination regardless of what the recipient asked for, and there'd be no
way for a blind person to tell.

jd

May 20, 2008, 10:28:10 PM5/20/08

> Without commenting on the merits or otherwise of the ruling, under
> your scenario an unscrupulous bank teller could count out bills of any
> denomination regardless of what the recipient asked for, and there'd
> be no way for a blind person to tell.

They could have the bank manager and the clerk both count out the money.

jo...@phred.org

May 20, 2008, 11:39:31 PM5/20/08
In article <Xns9AA4B28B7F12...@38.119.97.3>,
no...@yodoor.biz says...

> A simple way for blind people to handle money is for them to ask the bank
> clerk for all $5's when they take money out of the bank.

And since all bank tellers are saints, blind people can always rely on
actually receiving a fat stack of $5s, no $1 bills substituted to pay
for the teller's lunch.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

George

May 21, 2008, 9:22:15 AM5/21/08

I wonder if the banks that issue cards are also in on this? They really
want to insert themselves into every transaction so they can collect
their tribute. So they are running these massive ad campaigns showing
how nice it is to buy your coffee, donut or whatever using their payment
system and offering all of these "reward" programs giving you a little
cut of the fee and percentage that is added to all transactions in order
to make you forget about cash.

I can just imagine them stepping forward to proclaim that if everyone
used their cards and cash was eliminated it would "protect" those who
couldn't manage cash.

Or it could be greedy lawyers moving wealth to themselves.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

May 21, 2008, 9:26:43 AM5/21/08
"George" <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> jd wrote:
>> An appeals court said that currency discriminates against the blind
>> because blind folks can't tell what the denomination of their bills are.
>> This is another bullshit, frivilous case. Next, the courts will be
>> saying that Harley-Davidson discriminates against the blind because blind
>> people can't operate motorcycles.
>>
>> There are some stupid judges and attorneys. Obviously, common sense
>> isn't a requirement to go into law.
>>
>> A simple way for blind people to handle money is for them to ask the bank
>> clerk for all $5's when they take money out of the bank. They could even
>> ask for the bank manager to count the money to make sure they weren't
>> duped. So if they go to Borders to buy a CD and the total comes to $13.
>> They can peel off 3 $5's out of their pouch of $5's and hand them to the
>> clerk. And then when they get $2 back, they can rest assured that the 2
>> bills are both $1's because the clerk certainly wouldn't give them back 2
>> $10's.
>>
>> They can have a specially shaped pouch for $20's, one for $5's, etc.. So
>> they know what's in each pouch.
>>
> I wonder if the banks that issue cards are also in on this? They really
> want to insert themselves into every transaction so they can collect their
> tribute. So they are running these massive ad campaigns showing how nice
> it is to buy your coffee, donut or whatever using their payment system and
> offering all of these "reward" programs giving you a little cut of the fee
> and percentage that is added to all transactions in order to make you
> forget about cash.
>
> I can just imagine them stepping forward to proclaim that if everyone used
> their cards and cash was eliminated it would "protect" those who couldn't
> manage cash.
>
> Or it could be greedy lawyers moving wealth to themselves.

the head of visa said that we'd be cashless by either 2010 or 2012.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cashless-society-by-2012-says-visa-chief-439676.html

at that point cc companies will collect a percentage from both the buyer and
the seller.

----------------------
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice
cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide
everything." -- Josef V. Stalin

www.myspace.com/bodybuildinggranny

hchi...@hotmail.com

May 21, 2008, 3:10:44 PM5/21/08

The head of Visa is an opportunistic twit, and besides that, the
article refers to europe, not the U.S.

The mint has been behind the curve for years. The issue of lack of
kinesthetically identifying marks is not limited to blind people and
has been the bane of people handling cash for decades. When rushed,
and putting together straps of money, it isn't unusual for a bill or
two to get mixed into the wrong strap - a fiver in a 50 wrap of ones,
etc.

Just how hard is it to put an identifying dog ear on two opposing
corners of each bill? That way, a strap of singles would all have a
notch at one point, a fiver might have a two notches, or a squarish
shape instead of a triangle, or a curved cut off end instead of an
angular one, etc.. This isn't rocket science. As long as the cutouts
affected the ends of the notes instead of the long sides, most
existing equipment would handle the change without modification.

sarge137

May 21, 2008, 2:44:15 PM5/21/08
> >http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cashless-society-by-2...

> >at that point cc companies will collect a percentage from both the buyer and
> >the seller.
>
> The head of Visa is an opportunistic twit, and besides that, the
> article refers to europe, not the U.S.
>
> The mint has been behind the curve for years.  The issue of lack of
> kinesthetically identifying marks is not limited to blind people and
> has been the bane of people handling cash for decades.  When rushed,
> and putting together straps of money, it isn't unusual for a bill or
> two to get mixed into the wrong strap - a fiver in a 50 wrap of ones,
> etc.
>
> Just how hard is it to put an identifying dog ear on two opposing
> corners of each bill?  That way, a strap of singles would all have a
> notch at one point, a fiver might have a two notches, or a squarish
> shape instead of a triangle, or a curved cut off end instead of an
> angular one, etc..  This isn't rocket science.  As long as the cutouts
> affected the ends of the notes instead of the long sides, most
> existing equipment would handle the change without modification.- Hide quoted text -

Uh oh. A logical and simple solution, that could be easily, cheaply,
and almost immediately implemented. You know that's never going to
fly!

I lived in Germany for almost ten years back in the pre-Euro days.
The denomations of the currency of pretty much every country I visited
during that period were of different sizes and colors. Now, I can see
how that would create all kinds of problems in a financial system
based on uniform bills like ours, but corner cuts on our existing
bills would to be the perfect solution.

Regards,
Sarge

George

May 22, 2008, 2:20:01 PM5/22/08
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> the head of visa said that we'd be cashless by either 2010 or 2012.
>>
>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cashless-society-by-2012-says-visa-chief-439676.html
>>
>> at that point cc companies will collect a percentage from both the buyer and
>> the seller.
>
> The head of Visa is an opportunistic twit, and besides that, the
> article refers to europe, not the U.S.

Sure, but visa is a global thing. I have no doubt in my mind that
outfits like visa are doing everything they can to cause a move to a
cashless system where a tribute to them would need to be paid for each
transaction.

> The mint has been behind the curve for years. The issue of lack of
> kinesthetically identifying marks is not limited to blind people and
> has been the bane of people handling cash for decades. When rushed,
> and putting together straps of money, it isn't unusual for a bill or
> two to get mixed into the wrong strap - a fiver in a 50 wrap of ones,
> etc.
>
> Just how hard is it to put an identifying dog ear on two opposing
> corners of each bill? That way, a strap of singles would all have a
> notch at one point, a fiver might have a two notches, or a squarish
> shape instead of a triangle, or a curved cut off end instead of an
> angular one, etc.. This isn't rocket science. As long as the cutouts
> affected the ends of the notes instead of the long sides, most
> existing equipment would handle the change without modification.

Possible, but who will lobby for that? Banks make a lot of money with
plastic and have the warchests to purchase mindshare and the appropriate
politicians.

Rod Speed

May 22, 2008, 2:53:41 PM5/22/08
George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote
> hchi...@hotmail.com wrote
>> AllEmailDeletedImmediately <der...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> the head of visa said that we'd be cashless by either 2010 or 2012.

What happened to 2011 ?

>>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cashless-society-by-2012-says-visa-chief-439676.html

>>> at that point cc companies will collect a percentage from both the buyer and the seller.

>> The head of Visa is an opportunistic twit, and besides that, the article refers to europe, not the U.S.

> Sure, but visa is a global thing. I have no doubt in my mind that outfits like visa are doing everything they can to
> cause a move to a cashless system where a tribute to them would need to be paid for each transaction.

Sure, but the point is that there is nothing they can actually do to stop the use of cash.

Its never going to happen, you watch.

>> The mint has been behind the curve for years. The issue of lack of
>> kinesthetically identifying marks is not limited to blind people and
>> has been the bane of people handling cash for decades. When rushed,
>> and putting together straps of money, it isn't unusual for a bill or two to get mixed into the wrong strap - a fiver
>> in a 50 wrap of ones, etc.

>> Just how hard is it to put an identifying dog ear on two opposing
>> corners of each bill? That way, a strap of singles would all have a
>> notch at one point, a fiver might have a two notches, or a squarish
>> shape instead of a triangle, or a curved cut off end instead of an
>> angular one, etc.. This isn't rocket science. As long as the
>> cutouts affected the ends of the notes instead of the long sides,
>> most existing equipment would handle the change without modification.

> Possible, but who will lobby for that?

It aint about lobbying except in the US and maybe Canada.

It would be interesting to know why other modern first world countrys dont use that
approach, maybe it increases the risk of damage to the notes too much or something.

It seems a bit unlikely that no one has ever considered it carefully.

> Banks make a lot of money with plastic

Banks arent the ones that decide that basic policy stuff.

> and have the warchests to purchase mindshare and the appropriate politicians.

It doesnt work like that outside the US and possibly Canada.

Coffee's For Closers

May 22, 2008, 7:15:20 PM5/22/08
> An appeals court said that currency discriminates against the blind because
> blind folks can't tell what the denomination of their bills are. This is
> another bullshit, frivilous case. Next, the courts will be saying that
> Harley-Davidson discriminates against the blind because blind people can't
> operate motorcycles.
>
> There are some stupid judges and attorneys. Obviously, common sense isn't
> a requirement to go into law.
>
> A simple way for blind people to handle money is for them to ask the bank
> clerk for all $5's when they take money out of the bank. They could even
> ask for the bank manager to count the money to make sure they weren't
> duped. So if they go to Borders to buy a CD and the total comes to $13.
> They can peel off 3 $5's out of their pouch of $5's and hand them to the
> clerk. And then when they get $2 back, they can rest assured that the 2
> bills are both $1's because the clerk certainly wouldn't give them back 2
> $10's.
>
> They can have a specially shaped pouch for $20's, one for $5's, etc.. So
> they know what's in each pouch.

On the other hand, the US Bureau Of Printing And Engraving could
start printing the notes in slightly different sizes. Like is
done in some other countries.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Coffee's For Closers

May 22, 2008, 7:16:32 PM5/22/08
In article <29f173cb-7663-4ece-9f25-
bdf144...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, seeri...@yahoo.com
says...
> On May 20, 2:36=A0pm, jd <no...@yodoor.biz> wrote:
> > An appeals court said that currency discriminates against the blind becaus=
> > blind folks can't tell what the denomination of their bills are. =A0This i=
> > another bullshit, frivilous case. =A0Next, the courts will be saying that
> > Harley-Davidson discriminates against the blind because blind people can't=
>
> > operate motorcycles.
> >
> > There are some stupid judges and attorneys. =A0Obviously, common sense isn=

> 't
> > a requirement to go into law.
> >
> > A simple way for blind people to handle money is for them to ask the bank
> > clerk for all $5's when they take money out of the bank. =A0They could eve=

> > ask for the bank manager to count the money to make sure they weren't
> > duped. =A0So if they go to Borders to buy a CD and the total comes to $13.=
> =A0

> > They can peel off 3 $5's out of their pouch of $5's and hand them to the
> > clerk. =A0And then when they get $2 back, they can rest assured that the 2=

> > bills are both $1's because the clerk certainly wouldn't give them back 2
> > $10's.
> >
> > They can have a specially shaped pouch for $20's, one for $5's, etc.. =A0S=

> > they know what's in each pouch.

> Should be interesting to see how this pans out. On a semi-related
> note, a long time cashier at the main courthouse in Sacramento is
> blind. AFAIK he hasn't been cheated by patrons, even though $1 feels
> the same as $5?

Yet another reason for mass-adoption of the one dollar coins.
Like the ones that are currently being cranked out by the
millions.

Lou

May 22, 2008, 8:17:56 PM5/22/08
> hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Just how hard is it to put an identifying dog ear on two opposing
> > corners of each bill? That way, a strap of singles would all have a
> > notch at one point, a fiver might have a two notches, or a squarish
> > shape instead of a triangle, or a curved cut off end instead of an
> > angular one, etc.. This isn't rocket science. As long as the cutouts
> > affected the ends of the notes instead of the long sides, most
> > existing equipment would handle the change without modification.

That strikes me as too simple - how hard would it be to take a pair of
scissors and change a one dollar bill into a fiver?

Anthony Matonak

May 23, 2008, 1:48:13 AM5/23/08
Coffee's For Closers wrote:
> bdf144...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, seeri...@yahoo.com
> says...

>> Should be interesting to see how this pans out. On a semi-related
>> note, a long time cashier at the main courthouse in Sacramento is
>> blind. AFAIK he hasn't been cheated by patrons, even though $1 feels
>> the same as $5?
>
> Yet another reason for mass-adoption of the one dollar coins.
> Like the ones that are currently being cranked out by the
> millions.

Why stop at one dollar coins? Why not 5, 10, 20 and 50 dollar
coins also? They don't have to have any more intrinsic value
than all the other coins and paper currency so they could be
made out of tin, zinc, lead and other cheap metals.

The again, the only real reason for coins is for coin operated
machinery and most of these take cash and credit cards now.

Anthony

ra...@vt.edu

May 23, 2008, 11:54:09 AM5/23/08
jd <no...@yodoor.biz> wrote:
> An appeals court said that currency discriminates against the blind because
> blind folks can't tell what the denomination of their bills are. This is

Uh, new US currency has embossed numbers on one corner specifcally
so that blind people can feel the difference between 5s, 10s, and
20s. Of course there is still a lot of the old bills circulating,
but really the Bureau of Printing and Engraving are making an
effort.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

hchi...@hotmail.com

May 23, 2008, 1:49:52 PM5/23/08

Quite hard if the cuts and curves were designed properly.

Simple example:

A curved radius corner is made at the upper right and lower left of
each note. The five only has a small curve cut out. The dollar has a
larger curve. Cut all you want. Turn your fiver into a single. :)

You are right, it is too much for bureaucrats to comprehend.

sarge137

May 23, 2008, 4:35:40 PM5/23/08
On May 23, 11:49 am, hchick...@hotmail.com wrote:

Yep - it's simple. The more you cut, the less the bill is worth.

This is the reason most of our coins have ribs around the edge. "Back
in the day", when the coins were made of precious metal, crooks were
taking shavings from the edge to accumulate the bullion and cash it
in. Seems like more work than it's worth - but you can't apply logic
to a crook's thought process. They steal because they can.

Replacing ones and fives with coins also makes sense. Just hope they
won't screw it up like they did the Susn B. Anthony and Sacajawea
dollars.

Regards,
Sarge

Fake ID

May 24, 2008, 3:19:06 AM5/24/08
In article <48365b19$0$30511$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,

Anthony Matonak <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:

>Why stop at one dollar coins? Why not 5, 10, 20 and 50 dollar
>coins also? They don't have to have any more intrinsic value
>than all the other coins and paper currency so they could be
>made out of tin, zinc, lead and other cheap metals.

Why not take it all the way--make plastic coins. Maybe polycarbonate
embedded with RFID.

Anthony Matonak

May 24, 2008, 4:17:50 AM5/24/08

Why not go with a truly renewable resource, like wood?

Anthony

Rod Speed

May 24, 2008, 5:29:19 AM5/24/08

Because termites eat wood, stupid.