Ice cream shrinks again

imascot

Dec 18, 2007, 6:29:39 PM12/18/07
I see that a "half gallon" of ice cream has now shrunk from 1.75 quarts to 1.5
From what I've gathered, anything that has corn in it or used to eat corn has
gone up in price, for instance, corn muffins, which used to the same price as
blueberry, are now a dollar more for a package of six.

I'd rather have expanding prices than shrinking product size, though.

J.

Brian Elfert

Dec 18, 2007, 7:57:32 PM12/18/07
imascot <im...@mycomputer.now> writes:

A lot of the public won't notice a slightly smaller quantity, but will
notice the higher cost.

The cafeteria where my father worked would decrease the milk cartons by
two oz for the same cost and then would go back to the larger size when
the price increased.

catalpa

Dec 18, 2007, 9:32:18 PM12/18/07

"imascot" <im...@mycomputer.now> wrote in message

Which brands of ice cream? Breyers and all the others I see are still 1.75
quarts.

Corn is only $4.03 a bushel (56 lbs) while soft red wheat is $8.66 a bushel
(60 lbs). The blueberry muffins are much better than corn and thus are an
obvious bargain.

Shawn Hirn

Dec 19, 2007, 12:15:15 AM12/19/07
In article <DJY9j.3$Ks...@newsfe11.lga>, imascot <im...@mycomputer.now>
wrote:

The price of corn and products that use it is on the way up because corn
has become a popular crop for ethanol.

nos...@nospam.com

Dec 19, 2007, 12:33:23 AM12/19/07

I suppose the price of everything sweetened with corn will go up. Maybe they
will switch back to sugar for sweetening processed foods. Will that raise the
price of sugars?

George

Dec 19, 2007, 9:48:17 AM12/19/07

It seems using ethanol has really worked out well (as big business and
SUV welfare) for being a thoughtless government pronouncement.

Lots of companies are getting huge grants to build the plants and
continuing operating subsidies (both pulled out of our pockets by the
government) so they can sell the ethanol below market value. Then liquid
fuels taxes taxes also have to be waived to keep the price down and of
course anything that uses corn now costs more.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Dec 19, 2007, 12:09:20 PM12/19/07

I think that most decent ice cream still uses sugar. Sugar is actually
cheaper than corn syrup on the world market, but it's the sugar price
supports that keep U.S. sugar prices so high, and the corn syrup
producers like ADM are the number one supporters of keeping sugar expensive.

The Henchman

Dec 19, 2007, 7:28:50 PM12/19/07

<nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Sugar is used in Brasil for fuel.......

Parallax

Dec 19, 2007, 7:41:29 PM12/19/07

Man, the price for Corn ice cream is gonna hit the roof.

--

Replace '???????' with 'hotmail' to e-mail me.

imascot

Dec 20, 2007, 12:12:57 AM12/20/07
In article <So%9j.9938$c82.5888@trnddc01>, cat...@entertab.org says...

> Which brands of ice cream? Breyers and all the others I see are still 1.75
> quarts.

Turkey Hill has done it already, at least here (Long Island, NY). Corn
flavor is even smaller, LOL.

Here's an Economist article explaining corn shortages are caused by
demand for meat in China and India, due to increasing incomes there, and
demand for ethanol.
http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10250420

J.

George

Dec 20, 2007, 8:08:18 AM12/20/07
Parallax wrote:
> imascot wrote:
>> I see that a "half gallon" of ice cream has now shrunk from 1.75
>> quarts to 1.5 From what I've gathered, anything that has corn in it
>> or used to eat corn has gone up in price, for instance, corn muffins,
>> which used to the same price as blueberry, are now a dollar more for a
>> package of six.
>>
>> I'd rather have expanding prices than shrinking product size, though.
>>
>> J.
>
> Man, the price for Corn ice cream is gonna hit the roof.

As is corn spaghetti sauce, corn "red sauce" topping on big box pizza
and hundreds of other things that have huge amounts of HFCS.

Vandy Terre

Dec 20, 2007, 1:34:12 PM12/20/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:15:15 -0500, Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote:

>The price of corn and products that use it is on the way up because corn
>has become a popular crop for ethanol.

Pehaps this is a factor. The price may be increasing more due to increased
expense in planting, growing and harvesting the crop plus transporting the crop
to processing plants. Price may also be increasing just because it costs more
to get the product to market.

There may even be a shortage of corn just because so much of the land area used
to grow this crop was either in severe drought conditions or flooded. This just
past growing season was a rough season for many farmers.

Don Klipstein

Dec 20, 2007, 6:26:31 PM12/20/07

Huge amounts of HFCS is only in stuff that is sweet. If they have
anything like an ounce per serving in spaghetti sauce, it would be as
sweet as sugary soda. A half a gram or a gram or two per serving I can
believe, since I know they sometimes put a small amount of sugar in things
along those lines.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)