Anti-spyware ap?

Ken

Sep 10, 2008, 11:52:52 AM9/10/08
I currently use PC Tools Spyware Doctor and like it, but PC Tools has
been purchased by Symantec. I do not want any Symantec software on my
system so will not be renewing it - and it runs out in 12 days. Several
months ago it found a key-stroke logger on my system so I'm paranoid
about doing without a good anti-spyware utility.

I want to avoid a product that automatically renews every year so will
not want to buy direct from manufacturer by credit card. I'll likely have
to get a free product or a boxed product at an on-line store or here in
town at a real store. Free Spybot seems to usually get poor reviews. MS
Defender is a possibility - _Consumer Reports_ September 2008 says it is
a very good utility. The MS website says it will run under XP (XP Home?)
but I'm afraid it will require using IE - I use Firefox 3 - website
doesn't say either way. And knowing MS I'm afraid it will slow down my
system noticably. I suppose I could DL it and try it, but I try to keep
software off my system unless I intend to keep it.

Any suggestions? Something you are using and find effective?

Ken

Steve Daniels

Sep 10, 2008, 12:52:36 PM9/10/08
On 10 Sep 2008 15:52:52 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled Ken <inv...@invalid.com>, to say:

> Any suggestions? Something you are using and find effective?

Spybot Search & Destroy
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Seerialmom

Sep 10, 2008, 1:06:34 PM9/10/08

Get a Mac...really. Unless you're a big time gamer you won't know the
difference. And this is coming from a hard core PC person (been using
the $20 iMac G3 for a few months, works just fine for looking at
websites, meanwhile the P4 I built sits silent and unused in another
room).

Seerialmom

Sep 10, 2008, 1:07:06 PM9/10/08
On Sep 10, 9:52 am, Steve Daniels <sdani...@gorge.net> wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2008 15:52:52 GMT, against all advice, something
> compelled Ken <inva...@invalid.com>, to say:

> >     Any suggestions? Something you are using and find effective?
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> --
>
> Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

He said Spybot had bad reviews, that's why he was looking for
something else :) But what about Adaware?

JR Weiss

Sep 10, 2008, 1:21:09 PM9/10/08
"Ken" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote...

> Any suggestions? Something you are using and find effective?

I picked up Zone Alarm AntiSpyware when they had a "free download" sale a few
months ago. It works well for me. It is attached to the standard ZA firewall
app, but still uses less resources than my old combination of Sunbelt Kerio
firewall and CounterSpy.

I use ZAAS on a C2D as well as my single-core laptop.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 3:01:30 PM9/10/08
One thing I do is to have the processes tab on the task manager open.
When I'm on the net, I typically have fewer than 30 processes going,
and it is pretty easy to see if something other than the basics is
running.

Steve Daniels

Sep 10, 2008, 4:31:21 PM9/10/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:07:06 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com>, to say:

I've been using it for a couple of months now, and I think it's
fine. I use AdAware as well.

Parallax

Sep 10, 2008, 4:45:03 PM9/10/08

Dennis

Sep 10, 2008, 5:29:02 PM9/10/08
On 10 Sep 2008 15:52:52 GMT, Ken <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Any suggestions? Something you are using and find effective?

I run the free version of AVG. It combines anti-virus and
anti-spyware. Works for me.

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

imascot

Sep 10, 2008, 7:40:08 PM9/10/08
Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:3tegc41tmgao92adm...@4ax.com:

> On 10 Sep 2008 15:52:52 GMT, Ken <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions? Something you are using and find effective?
>
> I run the free version of AVG. It combines anti-virus and
> anti-spyware. Works for me.
>
> Dennis (evil)

I use Spyware Blaster (free) which is supposed to prevent spyware from getting on in the first place, plus
Adaware and AVG. I used to use Spybot, but after a few updates, it started butting in constantly to the
point where I removed it.

J.

Message has been deleted