HDTV software

Jeff

Dec 21, 2007, 9:58:43 PM12/21/07
This is an update to an earlier post I wrote about watching HDTV on
the PC. It's working fairly well... Blows away my TV, and I can work
while I have the TV in the background.

There was some software mentioned. I'd like to try something other
than the software that came with my Volar, it's pretty, but a little
annoying to use.

Thanks for the help, can you repost the software info?

Jeff

Jeff

Dec 22, 2007, 8:04:41 AM12/22/07

Ah, I just remembered, it's Beyond TV.

I'm toying with the free list first:

Jeff

> Jeff

Dennis

Dec 22, 2007, 12:56:52 PM12/22/07

One of the free packages that I saw mentioned a lot when I was
researching it was GBPVR. It works with Windows, while a lot of the
others are Linux based. I haven't personally tried it, though.

I use BeyondTV because I like the interface and features. There is a
free trial that you can download and install. If you like it, you
just buy an activation code (no re-install necessary). Similar deal
with Sage, but they have a shorter trial period.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Dennis

Dec 22, 2007, 1:30:48 PM12/22/07
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:56:52 -0800, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I use BeyondTV because I like the interface and features. There is a
>free trial that you can download and install. If you like it, you
>just buy an activation code (no re-install necessary). Similar deal
>with Sage, but they have a shorter trial period.

Also -- one trick that I learned when sorting out my HDTV PVR PC:
make a Ghost image (or equivalent) backup of your Windows system
partition before installing any of the trial software. Then if you
need to, you can restore the clean Windows image and reinstall the
trial SW for more testing before you lay down your cash. I found out
the hard way that the trial SW (and the SW support people) are not
forgiving if you have a problem that you can't sort out within the
trial period. In my case I had problems with my video card which
entailed installing, tweaking, reinstalling, then finally order and
delivery of a new card. By the time I had the hardware working with
HD, the SW trial period was expired. The only way to restart the
trial period is to re-install Windows. Having a backup image handy
makes an easy shortcut.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin