Apt Complex Laundry Facility or Portable, Compact Washer?

1 view

Five By Five

Aug 21, 2007, 12:36:17 AM8/21/07

Unfortunately I have gone from homeowner overseas to apartment renter in
the USA these days (legal separation).

For 17 years, I became accustomed to a front-loading washing machine
(Bosch) which heated the water to a set temp and spun them nearly dry, and
managed not to damage the clothes. The clothes were hung out to dry and
not subjected to an electric dryer, not for the reason so much that the
dryer could damage the clothes, but that the electricity was quite
expensive. We lived in a dry climate, so drying was fast, and clothes were
never exposed to direct sunlight, but hung on a rack.

Now I am faced either with using an apartment complex laundry facility---
coin-operated at $1.25 a load---or perhaps buying a compact, portable
washer I can stow in my closet when not using. Depending the price and
quality of the compact (mini) washer, it could pay for itself in maybe 50
loads? 100 loads? 200 loads? One would have to factor in the cost of new
clothes too...something that probably increases with the use of commercial
washers.

I am in the market for buying a compact/mini washer, probably a small
version of the front-loading Bosch, weighted more towards product
quality/reliability/durability than in just finding the cheapest price and
in risking known warranty hassles. What experiences and/or information do
you have?

Shawn Hirn

Aug 21, 2007, 4:08:08 AM8/21/07
In article <Xns9992DBC5...@207.115.33.102>,

Five By Five <5...@5x5.com> wrote:

> I am in the market for buying a compact/mini washer, probably a small
> version of the front-loading Bosch, weighted more towards product
> quality/reliability/durability than in just finding the cheapest price and
> in risking known warranty hassles. What experiences and/or information do
> you have?

Good luck with your search. Before you spend much time with this, check
your apartment lease. Some landlords do not allow their tenants to use a
clothes washer in the apartment.

As for how much of a cost savings you would experience with a new
washer, I suppose it depends on how much you would spend to use coin
operated washers and how much electricity costs you.

Melissa

Aug 21, 2007, 11:41:03 AM8/21/07

"Five By Five" <5...@5x5.com> wrote in message

They make stackable types, but do your research. Many of the dryers run on
110, and take forever to dry towels or jeans. They also sell the small units
separately, my MIL has a portable washer that hooks up in her sink. She's
happy with it...it's easy to roll into postition, and when not in use it's
another surface to use in her small kitchen. She lives alone, so she only
has a few loads a week. She got them at Sears, they are Kenmore brand I
believe.

Melissa

m...@privacy.net

Aug 21, 2007, 12:11:38 PM8/21/07
Five By Five <5...@5x5.com> wrote:

>What experiences and/or information do
>you have?

maybe consider one of the new "condensing washers" from
LG?

one machine does BOTH washing and drying (by
condensing)..... but be prepared as they are pricey

what you think?

Lou

Aug 21, 2007, 8:08:49 PM8/21/07

"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

As a first approximation, you'll probably save some money. The coin-op
washer is going to have all the expenses your own does (electricity, water,
wear and tear) plus a profit for whoever provides the washer. At the very
least, it seems like you'd save the profit, provided you get a reasonably
priced, appropriately sized, machine.

val189

Aug 22, 2007, 11:54:45 AM8/22/07

Friend has had a stack washer dryer for over 16 years with no problem.
However, the tub is small - hence, more frequent use. She'd rather
have a bigger washer, but the over and under fit perfectly in their
closet, so she'll never change.

That said, I wonder how long you will probably be in that rental unit?
Worth buying a w and d? It might be easier on a single guy to just
drop off his laundry - check out the price per pound in your area for
wash dry and fold - you might come to love the convenience. It ain't
all about saving a buck here and there. Single guys I know don't want
to mess with laundry any more than they have to.

Binyamin Dissen

Aug 27, 2007, 4:19:48 PM8/27/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:08:49 -0400 "Lou" <lpogoda...@comcast.net> wrote:

:>"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

There is also the opportunity cost of the washer, and possible repairs.

A lot depends on how often one does laundry, and how much it is worth having
the convenience.

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com