Has anybody tried the MagicJack phone thing?

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Feb 6, 2008, 6:29:31 AM2/6/08
I've seen the ads on tv, and it sounds great. Just wondering if
anybody has actually tried it? Does it work well?

We disabled the long distance on the regular phone line since they
charged even if you didn't use it each month. We use a calling card
which is annoying, and we can't use that with the fax machine. These
sounds nicer, but I am hesitatnt to try it without hearing some
unbiased opinions.

George Grapman

Feb 6, 2008, 10:15:16 AM2/6/08
You can use a phone card on a fax. I have done it numerous times.

George

Feb 6, 2008, 11:03:20 AM2/6/08
The main problem with them is that they don't have a sustainable
business model (think back to the overenthusiastic dotcom days). It
actually costs more to provide the service than they are charging.

I don't understand why you can't use a calling card with a fax machine.
Pick up the handset and dial whatever sequence is required and push
start.

rox

Feb 6, 2008, 3:18:46 PM2/6/08

"George" <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

When you disable long distance calling on a line it doesn't matter if the
call is placed by telephone equipment or a fax machine. The OP turned off
long distance service and only has a local line.

I have that too, my phone bill was $30+ per month on a line I literally made
1-2 phone calls on per month. I have it at about $7 now. I keep it because
Verizon claims they cannot offer me DSL unless I have a local line (I know,
I know, it's crap info but I can't get them to budge on that). Any long
distance calls I make are on my cell phone.

to the OP:
You might want to think about faxing via email. I don't know about the
costs (it's been years and the last time I tried it I had a free account
with eFax) but if you do a little research that might be a solution for you.

www.Queensbridge.us

Feb 7, 2008, 11:15:36 PM2/7/08
On Feb 6, 6:29 am, "fries...@zoocrewphoto.com"

I have used OneSuite to fax long distance. As low as USA-Canada
1.9CPM! Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from
home or cell phone.
Just program the OneSuite # in your fax to dial before the
recipients's #. Compare the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No
monthly fee or minimum. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23"
for FREE time. Works FROM many other countries.

delfl...@hotmail.com

Feb 22, 2008, 1:06:39 AM2/22/08

Hi I just got a magicjack I'm running it off my laptop and it seems to
work pretty good
I do have a few problems with the voice mail and caller ID and the
popup window that
comes up anytime some one picks up the phone to call out or an
incomming call come in.
I would really love to disable the MJ software popup , I'm running xp,
so if any of you guys
know how to do that , that would be great if you can post it here, on
the caller ID end
it does not always put the caller ID up on the phone your using, get a
message
incompleate data, as far as the voice mail goes sometimes you can get
in sometimes
you cant. anyone else having these problems ?