looking for career change advice

Joseph O'Brien

Oct 1, 2007, 9:15:45 AM10/1/07
Hi folks. Even though I have never posted here, I lurk so often that I
feel like I'm part of the family. Hope you don't mind me being
pretensious enough to ask for slightly off-topic career advice.

I'm ramping up for a major career change that will require going back
to school full time for about 18 months. Here's a short history of my
life since college:

> 2001: graduated college with a BA
> 2001: started job at really cool ad agency
> 2002: got married
> 2004: abruptly quit job at ad agency to work in totally unrelated
field. Loved the work at New Job, hated the travel.
> 2004: ad agency still had a spot for me and took me back. Developed
position as IT administrator over the next few years.
> 2006: life-changing event made me want to be a nurse. Started taking courses at a community college to fulfill prerequisites.

I am cautiously excited about this new career, because obviously I had
one career change that didn't work out. The ad agency is run by an in-
law. It's really a great place to work. The management is always
willing to work through any problems, there are some terrific and fun
opportunities here, and I could probably work here for the rest of my
life.

The problem has to do with the timing of nursing school. I still have
a few more prerequesites to fill, but they are only offered during the
mornings, starting next month. After that, I wouldn't have any classes
until the 18-month program starts in May. However, once that starts, I
will have to be a full time student.

I'm having trouble decided how to break this to the owners. I feel
like I've already played my "career change" card a couple years ago,
and my position here, while not irreplaceable, would be difficult to
fill due to several highly specialized areas I'm in charge of. They
have actually offered me performance-based time off this year (in
addition to my regular time off), which I consider to be quite a
compliment.

As I see it, I have a few options.
1) Tell them I'm taking some classes that will meet in the morning,
twice a week for 6 weeks, and ask off for those times. Don't mention
nursing school or quitting or anything. If they ask, just say I'm
taking some "natural science" classes to further my education. In the
spring, come clean and tell them I will be returning to school full
time.

2) Tell them I am considering going back to school for an advanced
degree, but before making any rash decisions, I need to take two
prereqs that meet during work hours. After finishing those, tell them
I will definitely be going back to school and help them find a
replacement.

3) Come clean and tell them everything.

My concerns are, of course, that they won't let me take the time off,
or, if this doesn't work out, I won't have a place to work next year.
If I didn't need 5 months between completing my prereqs and going full
time, then I wouldn't mind quitting. Also, I want to be sure to
respect the investment they have made in me over the last 6 years.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but I just wanted to
seek some completely anonymous advice. What does the all-knowing
usenet think I should do?

Thanks.
Joseph

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 1, 2007, 10:08:08 AM10/1/07
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:15:45 -0700, Joseph O'Brien
<obrie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Tell them I'm taking some classes that will meet in the morning,
>twice a week for 6 weeks, and ask off for those times. Don't mention
>nursing school or quitting or anything. If they ask, just say I'm
>taking some "natural science" classes to further my education. In the
>spring, come clean and tell them I will be returning to school full
>time.

This is the only businesslike solution. When you work for a company,
you get a paycheck. That paycheck is the balancing of your work. If
you were to die the following day, accounts would be considered
settled. If the company went out of business the following day,
accounts would be settled.

Most employees who are not executive level have difficulty with the
concept that the employee does not "owe" the company, or the company
"owe" the employee. What you do on your own time is your own damn
business, and any company that attempts to dictate your actions
outside of work, without very specific remuneration above and beyond
normal wages, should be told exactly where to go and how to get there.

Unless you are set to inherit the company, the fact that your in-laws
are involved is only an interpersonal issue. If you want to "do the
right thing" just begin documenting your job and condensing that into
a set of instructions for the next person filling it. You don't need
to let anyone know you are doing this, but it will help during your
exit.

Joseph O'Brien

Oct 1, 2007, 12:54:52 PM10/1/07
On Oct 1, 10:08 am, hchick...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:15:45 -0700, Joseph O'Brien

Thanks for your reply. Believe me, more than most, I understand the
non-binding nature of employment. I guess what I'm worried most about
is going about it and ending up without a job. I wasn't clear in this,
but the classes are offered only during weekday mornings, twice a week
-- exactly when I'm supposed to be at my desk. I will definitely keep
your advice front of mind.

Thanks.
joseph

Chloe

Oct 1, 2007, 4:17:45 PM10/1/07
"Joseph O'Brien" <obrie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You haven't said how your wife feels about all this. Is she a willing
participant in the withholding of information from your employer about your
future career plans? It seems to me the situation would be a lot more cut
and dried without the family angle; in that case I'd agree more with what's
quoted above. But no job or lack thereof is worth damaging your credibility
with people you have a family tie to.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 1, 2007, 5:20:54 PM10/1/07
>Most employees who are not executive level have difficulty with the
>concept that the employee does not "owe" the company, or the company
>"owe" the employee. What you do on your own time is your own damn
>business, and any company that attempts to dictate your actions
>outside of work, without very specific remuneration above and beyond
>normal wages, should be told exactly where to go and how to get there.

Agree with this totally!

Tell them you need time for school.... but ONLY that
nothing else!!

Discretion is better part of valor

m...@privacy.net

Oct 1, 2007, 5:22:19 PM10/1/07
>As I see it, I have a few options.
> 1) Tell them I'm taking some classes that will meet in the morning,
>twice a week for 6 weeks, and ask off for those times. Don't mention
>nursing school or quitting or anything. If they ask, just say I'm
>taking some "natural science" classes to further my education. In the
>spring, come clean and tell them I will be returning to school full
>time.

This option is the one

Don K

Oct 1, 2007, 9:23:30 PM10/1/07

> As I see it, I have a few options.

> 1) Tell them I'm taking some classes that will meet in the morning,
> twice a week for 6 weeks, and ask off for those times. Don't mention
> nursing school or quitting or anything. If they ask, just say I'm
> taking some "natural science" classes to further my education. In the
> spring, come clean and tell them I will be returning to school full
> time.

Don't give too much notice.

There was a guy at work who thought he was being a nice guy
by giving extra notice that he would be leaving in a couple of months.

Management said no you're not, next Friday will be your last day.

Don

Shawn Hirn

Oct 2, 2007, 7:32:46 AM10/2/07
In article <1191244545.6...@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,

Joseph O'Brien <obrie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> As I see it, I have a few options.
> 1) Tell them I'm taking some classes that will meet in the morning,
> twice a week for 6 weeks, and ask off for those times. Don't mention
> nursing school or quitting or anything. If they ask, just say I'm
> taking some "natural science" classes to further my education. In the
> spring, come clean and tell them I will be returning to school full
> time.

Why not do that? Being honest with an employer is almost always the best
policy.

> 2) Tell them I am considering going back to school for an advanced
> degree, but before making any rash decisions, I need to take two
> prereqs that meet during work hours. After finishing those, tell them
> I will definitely be going back to school and help them find a
> replacement.

> 3) Come clean and tell them everything.

I would go for option 2, but your employer might force option 3 upon
you. There's another option that might or might not be worth persuing.
See if you can take those courses at another school in the evening or
weekends.

> My concerns are, of course, that they won't let me take the time off,
> or, if this doesn't work out, I won't have a place to work next year.
> If I didn't need 5 months between completing my prereqs and going full
> time, then I wouldn't mind quitting. Also, I want to be sure to
> respect the investment they have made in me over the last 6 years.
>
> I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but I just wanted to
> seek some completely anonymous advice. What does the all-knowing
> usenet think I should do?

I think you should just talk with your manager about your plans, but
don't reveal any more information than is absolutely necessary. You
might also benefit by reading a book that you can buy at any major
bookstore. The book is called "What Color is Your Parachute" and its
updated annually. This book, written by Richard Bolles, is geared toward
career changers and first time job seekers. When I was studying for
final exams in college for my senior year, my advisor strongly urged me
to read that book, and he was absolutely right. You should read it too.
Fortunately, its not expensive.

George

Oct 2, 2007, 10:49:07 AM10/2/07
I have seen that in action with typical megacorp thinking (its only our
way or our way). I worked with a guy who announced that he was going to
work for another company that was not a competitor and that he would
stay on for a couple weeks to insure an orderly transition of his
projects. They called security and had him escorted out of the building.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 2, 2007, 10:59:11 AM10/2/07
>Don't give too much notice.

Agree

One week is enough

m...@privacy.net

Oct 2, 2007, 10:59:52 AM10/2/07
>I have seen that in action with typical megacorp thinking (its only our
>way or our way). I worked with a guy who announced that he was going to
>work for another company that was not a competitor and that he would
>stay on for a couple weeks to insure an orderly transition of his
>projects. They called security and had him escorted out of the building.

Hahaha!!

Aint that just typical..... try and do the right thing
and it bites you in the ass

Rick

Oct 2, 2007, 5:27:57 PM10/2/07

Happened to me - I was asked to turn in my keys and leave immediately.
NEVER give an employer any indication you intend to leave a position, no
matter how good you think your intentions may be. You'd be surprised at
which bosses - who you think you know - will screw you in a split
second.

Rick

m...@privacy.net

Oct 2, 2007, 6:25:03 PM10/2/07
>Happened to me - I was asked to turn in my keys and leave immediately.
>NEVER give an employer any indication you intend to leave a position, no
>matter how good you think your intentions may be. You'd be surprised at
>which bosses - who you think you know - will screw you in a split
>second.

I agree VERY strongly as well

It happened to me also

Jason Montoya

Oct 4, 2007, 8:35:39 PM10/4/07
My experience has been different. I've (almost) always given two weeks'
notice, the departure from the job has been smooth and I obtained good
references from those employers. Granted, most of my jobs have not been
for "megacorp" type companies. They're too soulless to spend half my
life working for them, better paying or not. Smaller companies are more
like family (a dysfunctional one perhaps, but still family - grin)

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Tues, Oct 2 2007 2:27 pm
From: Rick

George wrote:

> Don K wrote:

> > "Joseph O'Brien" <obrie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> As I see it, I have a few options.

> >> 1) Tell them I'm taking some classes that will meet in the morning,
> >> twice a week for 6 weeks, and ask off for those times. Don't mention
> >> nursing school or quitting or anything. If they ask, just say I'm
> >> taking some "natural science" classes to further my education. In the
> >> spring, come clean and tell them I will be returning to school full
> >> time.

> > Don't give too much notice.
> >
> > There was a guy at work who thought he was being a nice guy
> > by giving extra notice that he would be leaving in a couple of months.
> >
> > Management said no you're not, next Friday will be your last day.
> >
> > Don
> >

> I have seen that in action with typical megacorp thinking (its only our
> way or our way). I worked with a guy who announced that he was going to
> work for another company that was not a competitor and that he would
> stay on for a couple weeks to insure an orderly transition of his
> projects. They called security and had him escorted out of the building.

Happened to me - I was asked to turn in my keys and leave immediately.
NEVER give an employer any indication you intend to leave a position, no
matter how good you think your intentions may be. You'd be surprised at
which bosses - who you think you know - will screw you in a split
second.

Rick

Joseph O'Brien

Oct 8, 2007, 9:00:46 PM10/8/07

Thanks to everyone who replied. I ended up asking them if I could use
the remainder of my vacation time as a series of 1/2 days for a
"personal project" I'm working on. When they asked what kind of
project it is, my light-hearted answer was that I wasn't sure how the
project was going to pan out and that I didn't want to raise
expectations or have word get around until it was finished.

Thanks again for your advice.

Joseph