Kitchen drywall & floor repair

Sammy bin Snoozin

Sep 30, 2007, 12:37:38 PM9/30/07
This is the first time I ever did anything like this, so please feel free to sling all the comments and suggestions.

I tore out the floor and drywall under the sink . Photos show various views. Mold is on the front and also on the back of the drywall up to about 12 inches from the floor. Above that I don't see any. My thought was to tear out that whole side of the wall up to the bottom of the window (42 x 96) and replace with a new piece.

The floor looks pretty clean - no mold that I see so far. So I'm planning to tear up all the water damaged pieces and replace with concrete-board / wonderboard.

Thanks, fellers!

FYI, photos posted at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Here is a brief description of them...

view1 - view of all damaged wall/floor with floor removed
view2 - close up where wall meets floor
view3 - wall with some drywall removed
view4 - piece of drywall swung out from wall. clean except for what looks like powdery white deposits running horizontal and vertical. they don't line up with the pipes or anything - maybe it's drywall material coming thru?
view5 - close up of view4
view6 - piece of drywall near floor - outside
view7 - same piece - inside

Sam

PS -- I don't check my email unless I am expecting something, so if you want to email me, please post here "Hidee Sam! I'm emailing you, boy!" so I will know to check.

Sammy bin Snoozin

Sep 30, 2007, 12:40:42 PM9/30/07
If you can't access that binary newsgroup and want to see the photos, post a note here and send me an email.

Sammy bin Snoozin

Sep 30, 2007, 3:17:48 PM9/30/07
I uploaded all the photos here also....

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/kitchen.html

Glenn

Sep 30, 2007, 3:36:56 PM9/30/07
The lines running horizontal and vertical are directly in line with the
waste pipes, i wouldnt worry about those white lines they are not mold or
mildew, just areas that have not gotten dirty inside the wall cavity.
The waste pipe looks like there is crud formed on the joint, this may be
your source of moisture. It could also be a leaky roof, tub surround,
dishwasher, cracked slab, etc. It could be almost anything, look for the
source of water and you've got your answer regarding the lower moldy areas.
I found a leaky compression fitting to be the source of my problems.

"Sammy bin Snoozin" <SammyBi...@REyahooMOVE.com> wrote in message

Glenn

Sep 30, 2007, 4:55:08 PM9/30/07
There must be two Glenn's.

The one below ain't me.

"Glenn" <fileb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sammy bin Snoozin

Sep 30, 2007, 8:11:50 PM9/30/07
Thanks, Glenn I'll tear out more of the drywall today and look for leaky area. Most likely it was coming from the cold water supply connection at the faucet and running down the inside of the cabinet.

FYI, white marks look like they are in line with the vent pipe, but actually they are not -- none of them match. The vent is at a 45 deg angle.