an alternative to a grass lawn

A Veteran

Dec 6, 2007, 3:27:56 PM12/6/07
Sand dune sedge a native plant.
Proven durable in texas , colorado and calif.
tolerates various soil conditions .
requires less water than a turf grass lawn.
Only need mowing 2 times a years.
search; Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Sedge Lawns for every landscape.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.

Anthony Matonak

Dec 6, 2007, 11:04:54 PM12/6/07
A Veteran wrote:
> Sand dune sedge a native plant.
> Proven durable in texas , colorado and calif.
> tolerates various soil conditions .
> requires less water than a turf grass lawn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping
: Xeriscaping refers to landscaping in ways that do not require
: supplemental irrigation.

I've seen a lot of rock gardens in place of lawns in Texas
and some folks who just gave up completely and paved their
lawns over with concrete.

Anthony

A Veteran

Dec 7, 2007, 12:28:48 AM12/7/07
In article <4758c5d2$0$2551$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
Anthony Matonak <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:

a garden is best. sell the lawn mower,

Just A User

Dec 7, 2007, 6:29:17 AM12/7/07

Just let the land go to it's natural state, mow if needed.

Jeff

Dec 7, 2007, 7:02:40 AM12/7/07

I'm somewhere near there. You have to remove anything you don't want,
and trust me, stuff will grow that you don't want! I used to pull up the
japan grass, poke salad and wild strawberries (completely inedible) but
the drought has kept all of them from growing, well some Japan Grass...

I'm in a drought 4 zone (Atlanta) with a complete no watering ban.
Some established plants do OK. Rose of Sharon seems to do fine, my
butterfly bush is OK, the oak leaf hydrangia is doing fair, the regular
hydrangias are kaput. The roses are hanging in there and some of the
spices are fine.

Jeff

Just A User

Dec 7, 2007, 8:02:30 AM12/7/07
Well right now I am in Florida, and the native grasses seem to do okay,
but there are so many northern'ers down here that try to grow the same
type of grass that grows wherever they are from that just doesn't grow
well here and they try to keep it alive by dumping massive amounts of
fertilizer and water into it that it must cost them hundred of dollars a
month to keep it green, I just don't see the sense.

I also own some land in TX that I am going to build a house on in the
future. It's west TX landscape (almost desert) but I will let most of it
go into it's natural state and just keep 30 to 40 feet around the house
with some type of low maintenance lawn.